MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my usual part of the forum, but after a winters worth of contemplating, I'm considering a move to the "dark side" (or is that "softie" side???) ..... Is there anywhere where a list of the bhp & torque specs of the various B4 models are given? It's quite confusing with 910, 920, 989, 990, & 1078 variants all available (I don't want a 750), let alone getting into S, R, RR, etc., .....

So which model had what power, and which is the nicest to ride? Which is the torquey one, and which is the screamer? is one restricted compared to another? can extra gee-gee's be liberated from one easier/cheaper than another?

There are 920, 990 & 1078 variants for sale not too far from me, of differing ages, mileages and price ....... so I guess one answer would be to ride all three ..... if the weather and road conditions were a little nicer at present!!

Registered

Registered
If you can't find a 910R, buy the 1078....

Registered
Also slight differences in geometry (8mm longer wheelbase in 1090RR over 1090 and 1090R), better suspension and brakes to consider.

Registered
I have a 920 and am no expert

I think pre and post 2010 is the biggest difference e.g pre oil filter is a remove the radiator to get to it, post like my bike it is in the oil sump under a cap _ they are a total redesign gen 1 and gen 2 if you like

Other than that its minor component / capacity differences

I've only ridden the 920 but power wise it has plenty and there is further power if you wanted to chip it so I would not worry too much about power in your decision unless you are a very experienced rider 150 cc difference shouldn't be a world of difference

I could be wrong so please correct me

Registered
but the 910 S or R, are brutal much more fun , you have ride these ones not pilot them
easy way to describe the Brute range from newest to the 910
its the difference of riding a very nice chubby chick gets you there in comfort ,.. then theres the great looker huge hooters gets you there to quick .,, then theirs the animal bitch RIDES YOU FOR AGES does everything you want twice over and leaves you with a huge smile and memories to take to the grave (thats the 910)

Registered
then theirs the animal bitch RIDES YOU FOR AGES does everything you want twice over and leaves you with a huge smile and memories to take to the grave (thats the 910)
Me thinks someone owns a 910 ;0) all good I feel about the same about my brutale, some how I always think of "this is SPARTA" and my bike kicking me into a pit if I don't watch myself anyway I think they all probably perform better than the jap equivalent esp in the torque department and they all certainly please my eyes its nice owning the most beautiful bike I've ever seen

Super Moderator
Also slight differences in geometry (8mm longer wheelbase in 1090RR over 1090 and 1090R), better suspension and brakes to consider.
Where does that 8mm come from Jan ?

Super Moderator
I believe from larger rake angle Dons. I suppose they wanted to make the RR a little more stable to cope with the extra ponies. There is a good R/RR comparison at this link: (2012 models)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/219/1...012-MV-Agusta-Brutale-1090-R---RR-Review.aspx

Jan
That would surprise me. I looked at the part numbers for the steering head bearing carriers, and they're all the same.

But I did notice the difference in rear sprocket size, that might be where the difference in wheelbase come's from. It's possible to have over 20mm difference in wheelbase, by just changing the location of that rear axle.

Registered
I've got a 2011 920 . 130bhp which is more than enough.
I always thought 100 bhp was ample for the road, and it is . But power is sooo addictive.

Registered
That would surprise me. I looked at the part numbers for the steering head bearing carriers, and they're all the same.

But I did notice the difference in rear sprocket size, that might be where the difference in wheelbase come's from. It's possible to have over 20mm difference in wheelbase, by just changing the location of that rear axle.
Mmmmm......I think you're right, I see trail for all models is quoted the same at 103.5 mm, so rake angle should be similar, not so?

Registered
but the 910 S or R, are brutal much more fun , you have ride these ones not pilot them
easy way to describe the Brute range from newest to the 910
its the difference of riding a very nice chubby chick gets you there in comfort ,.. then theres the great looker huge hooters gets you there to quick .,, then theirs the animal bitch RIDES YOU FOR AGES does everything you want twice over and leaves you with a huge smile and memories to take to the grave (thats the 910)
I'm on my third Brutie.......

col has it right.

Super Moderator
Mmmmm......I think you're right, I see trail for all models is quoted the same at 103.5 mm, so rake angle should be similar, not so?
Yup. There was a difference between a very select few models before 2004, but other than that, all the some in model range. I would not mind comparing the latest F4's and B4's though.

I'm on my third Brutie.......

col has it right.
But then Randy, that 750 of Carl's is a very nice crispy little toy too.
Honestly, 910R with a Microtec would be great 1078RR would be awesome/scary.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gonna have to do some test-rides I think .......

What bothers me is being "under-whelmed" by the B4 experience ..... my Renthal barred TL1000 has nigh on 130bhp at the rear wheel, which begs the question why bother with a Brutie ..... which is why I bought the F4, as I couldn't see the point in having two bikes of fundamentally similar type, but my head is having a hard time getting used to cornering a bike with clip-ons after spending the last 20+ years riding flat-barred streetfighter style bikes, and because I like the F4 motor so much I've been thinking of swapping the F4 for a Brutie, but if I don't get the F4 motor rush, whats the point .......

Registered
The F4 motor rush would probably relate more to the RR Bruties since they focus power further up the rev band. For my 1090R at least it's got a lot of nuts up through the rev band, but tapers out towards 9k or so. It'll pull in my buddies FZ1 for fun until well up into 6th, then it seems the gearing difference becomes more apparent.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Brutale (regardless of model) which will ruin you and make riding your TL1000 seem a little less joyful.

Registered
But then Randy, that 750 of Carl's is a very nice crispy little toy too. Honestly, 910R with a Microtec would be great 1078RR would be awesome/scary.
Yes indeed, the 750 is very nice. I had one as my first Brutie.

Better yet, a 910R with decatted titanium exhaust and a special Ed Eskew tune......it's got to be 8-10lbs lighter and up 15+ hp on a stock bike.

The 910R pushes all the right buttons for me. As col said, it's an absolute monster when asked, and yet very civilized when needed. I also really do like the graphics package on the 910 versus the 1078.

Finally, I'm really partial to all first gen Bruties versus the later bikes that appear to have been built to a different quality standard. Fit/finish is noticeably tighter on the first gen bikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts