MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride Saturday. Bike was working pretty good except one cylinder seemed weak sometimes. Basically a slight miss that smoothed out as the rpm's increased. I was thinking it was because the bike hadn't been ridden and it would get better after being out on the road a bit. It did ok until the last few miles of the >150 mile trip. Then one cylinder seemed to go completely out and the bike would barely run only if I kept the rpm's up. It was a struggle but we made it to a nearby shop. The mechanic came outside to listen and it started up and ran perfect. The bike hadn't even been shut off but maybe a minute!

Anyway, he checked it out, did some research and says one of the coils is going bad. That sounds likely to me. But then he says all the coils should be replaced at once (not just replace one coil). Does that sound right? I'm thinking no but I don't really know.

·
Administrator
18,827 Posts
Just replace the one....the diagnostic software should have a detected trouble code that indicates which coil is failing.
Randarosa's Brutale was idling poorly and running rough. VDST pointed at one coil (#1 I think). Replaced and bike has never run better.
These coils are not "wear" items. Just replace the one that is failing.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Yes, I do have one. Several actually, but you are only looking for one.

I lost your email. Sorry 'bout that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Some time ago I had a problem with ignition coil on my Brutale 750 MY-05.
I replaced only the one that failed and since than 20.000 km without any problem.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading the archives some more I've decided maybe I should try just replacing the spark plugs first. That seems to have worked for a number of people with this symptom.

·
Registered
820 Posts
After reading the archives some more I've decided maybe I should try just replacing the spark plugs first. That seems to have worked for a number of people with this symptom.
Same problem for me at the moment. I changed the plugs not long ago and it did fix the problem for a while but it's the same coil (I think) that is causing the problem now. So I think this coil was on the way out for a while. Anyway I'll be getting a spare (coil) as well for the future

Cheers

Deano

1 - 8 of 8 Posts