MV Agusta Forum banner

Brutale mileage How does this compare

10K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  Calcifur 
#1 ·
Checked the mileage on the last trip. Filled the tank but didn't try to squeeze in every bit of gas I could. Gas light came on at 140 miles. This was mostly canyon riding. Brutale 750S Arrow mid pipe, Moto One chip. How does this compare?

#3 ·
I get about 120mi before I need to load... usually about .5 gallon left in the tank. That's with a full arrow system, eprom chip, and a moderate (not heavy, not light) hand on the throttle.

dearpixel-- there are so many factors that affect our different mileages, which can differ by 30-40% like that.

#7 ·
PILLAR said:
My light comes on at 80 miles Im getting 18/20mpg. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pillar 750s

you have a problem with your bike
it's running DANGEROUSLY TOO RICH

get a power commander III/USB
have someone tune your bike on a dyno

you can do damage to your bike running it THAT ricch

your bike should get 8-10 more MPG

don't ride it until you get it fixed

#9 · (Edited)
What kind of damage happens when the bike is way too rich?

Edit:
Oh, one more thing, if dearpixel gets 150km until the light comes on that is 9kpl to 10kpl which equals 21 to 23.5 mpg.

#10 ·
I was getting 130km until the warning light came on. I then had a PC-III installed and custom mapped, and I'm now routinely getting 170km before the warning light comes on - and never less than 160km.

#11 ·
t1n0m3n said:
What kind of damage happens when the bike is way too rich?
Well, in my case I lost about a hundred pillion passengers because they expired from the fumes! :)

Sorry - I can't help with a technically correct answer.

#13 ·
Yesterday, I ran 123 Mi. until the reserve light came on. I calculated the mileage at 31.52 MPG. I was driving highway 75-85 MPH for 90% of the time. I think if I would have dropped back to 65-70 mph, I could have gotten 34 mpg.

#14 · (Edited)
Sventekoz said:
Well, in my case I lost about a hundred pillion passengers because they expired from the fumes! :)

Sorry - I can't help with a technically correct answer.
Hmm, ok, I know you can damage your bike running too lean, but I thought the only thing that hurts the bike when it is too rich is that your bike will just not run good enough to be worth riding. (And will foul the plugs, make your exhaust stink and smoke, and whatnot.) I didn't know you could get the fuel air mixture rich enough to damage the bike (provided that the bike runs reasonably.)

#16 · (Edited)
My mpg range is 25-35mpg (11-15kpl) with 28-32mpg (12-13.6kpl) being most common.
I made a spreadsheet for my bike that shows mpg at specific mileage readings when the light comes on. It shows that my light will typically come on at 115mi (28mpg) to 130mi (32mpg) based on riding style. (Aggressive to Polite) I have had both lower and higher readings, but 80% of the time my mpg is in the 28-32mpg range.

My bike consistently has used 4 gallons of fuel when the low fuel light comes on.

#17 ·
Wow, my bike's in breakin and I doubt i'm getting even 25 mpg.
BTW> When I got my bike the dealer warned me about overfilling and not being able to start the bike, so where is the safe point to fill to, I fill just to the bottom of the white plastic filler neck

#18 · (Edited)
If the bike is running super rich you could wash the cylinders walls of thier oil and loose compression. I get between 90 to 105 miles whn the light comes on, my CO is 3.2 at idle with fan on. I have a 910 with factory corsa exhaust and factory MV chip that came with it. Mine runs great. I do not ride to work on it. I live at the base of some canyons, so I am able to use it for its intended purpose.

#19 ·
Thx ezepilot. That makes sense.
I have overfilled mine and the only thing that happens is that it runs like crap for about a minute. Since it is really rich, it could cause the problems that ezepilot mentioned. I fill the tank until it touches the filler neck as well. (Now, after the bike flooded as mentioned above.)

#20 ·
I actualy ran out of gas this weakend 3 miles from a station so I had a nice little hike with my brute. This is how bad my mileage is I ran it completely out at at 100.7miles. I Guess I'm going to set my TPS and monkey with the idoler pot and just adjust it the best I can. I called my closest dealer and they said they could hook it up to a computer for $175. I'm not sure what that will tell them but I was'nt impressed with that answer. I thought about a PC111 but its $329 and then another 300 to map it. I'm geting iritated with this. What good is a high end itialian bike if its always needing somthing and nobody works on it. I just want to go fast, sob, is that so bad.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PILLAR

#24 ·
I have a 750 and had heard that the 910 was BETTER on fuel. I get about 200km (120mi)before the light comes on and the best I've got on a long run is just under 14km/litre. Where did you get your PC-III and can you tell me how much the whole process cost? I'm thinking that if you got a 30% increase, I could be up to 260km before the light. Or am I dreaming? I rode my R1 over to the Phillip Island Grand Prix last year and got 21km/l but am a bit reluctant to take the Brute, for fuel and comfort reasons (8000 km round trip).

#25 ·
Update on fuel performance

After reading this thread and checking with a couple of independant mechanics i put my bike into the MV shop as 132-138kms to reserve wasn't fun!... especially to my local club riders :confused:

Half an hours work now get's me 182kms b4 i hit reserve... now who's a happy camper :) ... thanks thx to the guys at Moto Arena on the Gold Coast...

My next step is installing a Power Commaner... unless i upgrade to the 910s b4 :wtf: ?!?

#26 ·
oooh...the worst:

64km. :)

Lots of hi revs in first gear, scaring women and children. tough getting out of second. hehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.