MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have heard of issues regarding lens coming out so would like to try and prevent this with some sort of mod .

can anyone please confirm what the real issue is , is it the clear lens becoming disbonded to its frame of a failure where the frame attaches to the bowl ?

pictures would be good .

thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have heard of issues regarding lens coming out so would like to try and prevent this with some sort of mod .

can anyone please confirm what the real issue is , is it the clear lens becoming disbonded to its frame of a failure where the frame attaches to the bowl ?

pictures would be good .

thanks in advance

Steve
the clear glass lens comes un-glued from it's bezel. I was able to pull mine off with little force, cleaned up as much silicone (or whatever they used), then I used 3M windshield bond to glue it back on.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08609-Window-Weld-Urethane-Cartridge/dp/B000FW61EW

Q

·
Registered
823 Posts
Err on the safe side until you re-glue it. Tape it around the edge with electrical tape. Hardly noticeable if done neatly. It WILL fall out if you leave it.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
891 Posts
appears to be an issue with ALL series one Brutale's not so much for series 2 i.e. 2010 and after.
Having just bought a 2011 1090RR I was a bit worried reading this thread but you say the post 2010 models are all ok? anyhow had any issues with the series 2?

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
No issues to report on my 2010 1090RR.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
As per chuck, does appear to be a Gen-1 issue, my 990r does not have indications of the same problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
this a common problem on gen 1 brutale,s 750,910s,910r,989r,and 1078 r
there are threads on here that have dealt with this issue so reglue your headlight lens you cannot get these
headlights any more.

·
Registered
823 Posts
As per chuck, does appear to be a Gen-1 issue, my 990r does not have indications of the same problem.

You wont get any indication, it'll just fall out. Tape it for safety. I got a new gen headlight as a replacement and have taped that too! At $1750Au why wouldn't I?

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
418 Posts
I couldn't find windscreen adhesive in shops so I just used Loctite Go2 all purpose glue. I just ran a bead of glue around the lense (ie didn't take the lense off), it dries completely clear and flexible and is good so far (been a year since I glued it). The bead of glue still adheres to both lense and housing, no sign of cracking or any other deterioration.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine fell off on the road and shattered. I couldn't find a replacement. So, I made a mold out of body filler and vacuum formed myself a new lens. Then I got even more carried away and installed 2 projectors inside the housing. I'd offer lenses for sale, but I suck at vacuum forming. It took 3 tries to get 1 good lens.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Mine fell off on the road and shattered. I couldn't find a replacement. So, I made a mold out of body filler and vacuum formed myself a new lens. Then I got even more carried away and installed 2 projectors inside the housing. I'd offer lenses for sale, but I suck at vacuum forming. It took 3 tries to get 1 good lens.
+ 1 post some pics of your custom work please...

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I first bought mine I used clear Gorilla tape, a band across the very bottom and very top, overlapping the glass by 3/4" or so as a temporary safety measure. You can't see it's there unless you know to look for it, so I'm leaving well enough alone and no longer planning to remove the lens and try to reseal it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
headlight lens

I'm not too proud of it. I plan to make a new one some day. Instead of cutting it where the edge of the stock lens ends, I left it extended over the front part of the headlight housing so I could secure with screws rather than gluing it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics, especially the light off/on aspect.

Good bit of handy work.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
?

moocowman;
Outstanding work!
If you plan on going into production......count me in for one......
Not that I need one, I have a spare stock one

:wink2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks. I'll send PM you if I can knock out a few decent ones next try. There are several other deficiencies with this plastic lens. The material ls PETG. It's like acrylic (Plexiglas). It scuffs easily, but scuffs also polish out easily. It doesn't like extreme heat. I originally had HID bulbs in the projectors, but they eventually distorted the lens. I switched to LEDs to correct the problem. BTW, LEDs are not nearly as bright as HIDs of the same claimed wattage. I'm actually looking to redesign the entire headlight, but can't come up with a design I like.

Hey, you're from PV! I lived there for a bit. I miss dodging the peacocks on the streets. Now I'm in Riverside, where I dodge coyotes and drunk transients. I don't know about PV, but weather was crazy here yesterday. It looked like the end of the world.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
You wont get any indication, it'll just fall out. Tape it for safety. I got a new gen headlight as a replacement and have taped that too! At $1750Au why wouldn't I?

Cheers

Deano
Hi Deano, I should have been a little more specific. The forum has traditional seen headlight-glass issues with the gen1 Brutales. I've not seen a the same issues reported with the later generations.

I rebuilt a gen-1 headlight and used the windscreen (black) glue which worked really well. I did take the time to really clean up the components...but was really happy with the result and how secure it was. I don't think the tape is a bad idea...I just preferred not to use it that method. :grin2:

Cheer mate

1 - 20 of 31 Posts