MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
graceracer Mine was replaced with the newer version, 2nd gen. Plug and play. Startwin Trading lists at €545.80

ahaussmann123 a few used an adhesive that has a flexible nature to absorb shocks. Search if you can. Also, check with industrial supply companies like McMaster-Carr or Grainger. If you use tape check with 3M Industrial Tapes to see what they have. I've emailed their tech for advice regarding the specific use of high-strength adhesive tape in the past. It's worth a try.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
There is no real alternative for stock headlight glass loss but to replace the headlight unit. Aftermarket alternatives will cost much less, but you lose the Brutale Tambo design look.
Used Brutale headlights with intact glass are few and far between.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wanted to try an aftermarket LED light, but I'm not sure how to know which one will be compatible... I already installed one that draws too much from the battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There is no real alternative for stock headlight glass loss but to replace the headlight unit. Aftermarket alternatives will cost much less, but you lose the Brutale Tambo design look.
Used Brutale headlights with intact glass are few and far between.
I wanted to try an aftermarket LED light, but I'm not sure how to know which one will be compatible... I already installed one that draws too much from the battery.
I'm dumb, what does Tambo design mean? Honestly, for a 15 year old motorcycle that has seen city use and a low speed collision, I don't think I should be spending nearly $800 to retain brand integrity. I just wish there was a good looking aftermarket option.

Is there a chance that a race shop or something could fabricate a cover? I'll call and ask and let you guys know.

@graceracer I'm no expert, but we just need to make sure the wattage matches or is below what our original bulbs drew. I'm surprised that you had an LED draining the battery, they should be drawing much less current. There is a post in this thread on how to get a matching connector, but honestly I'm probably just going to cannibalize the headlight housing connector, it's worthless now anyways... ugh between this and my guzzi, and my new puppy, there's no time for aaanything.

graceracer Mine was replaced with the newer version, 2nd gen. Plug and play. Startwin Trading lists at €545.80

ahaussmann123 a few used an adhesive that has a flexible nature to absorb shocks. Search if you can. Also, check with industrial supply companies like McMaster-Carr or Grainger. If you use tape check with 3M Industrial Tapes to see what they have. I've emailed their tech for advice regarding the specific use of high-strength adhesive tape in the past. It's worth a try.
I have tape on there now, I'm not so sure it'll hold up at high speeds. If I want to figure out a slightly more permanent solution, I would consider cutting some clear plastic around the perimeter of the light, then taping that on, so the air pressure pushes it in and not off. I'm going to do a track day before this season is up but I will be prepared for them to just tell me remove the whole headlight unit. Good thing I'm a novice and I don't have to worry about drag affecting lap times!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm shocked too, but I have no idea how to find out how much wattage the original headlight drew. My bike didn't come with the original headlight, unfortunately..

This motorcycle was designed by a really legendary man and it does feel wrong to put an aftermarket headlight on, but $800 is quite a lot.

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
... I have no idea how to find out how much wattage the original headlight drew. ...
The original headlight could draw a max of 120 watts if using flash to pass....the alternator puts out 650 watts.

Reactions: graceracer

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
I'm dumb, what does Tambo design mean?
Massimo Tamburini ..the Maestro who designed the first new MV's when Castiglioni brought the brand back to life.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
His last project realized after his parting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The original headlight could draw a max of 120 watts if using flash to pass....the alternator puts out 650 watts.

View attachment 487573
Thank you, this was a huge help!
The headlight I bought draws 36 watts so it's actually significantly less than OEM. Having forgotten everything I learned in college physics, I'm quite confused as to why the new light is draining my battery if it's less watts. But at least I might not need a new headlight like I thought!

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
@graceracer: Why do you think your current (no pun intended) headlight drains the battery?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
The headlight is not killing your battery. Your charging system is not working.

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
As Ed stated above, the headlight isn't the cause of your battery drain. It is time to do some electrical testing of your system.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts