MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Unfortunately, the lens fell off my 2004 Brutale at speed and shattered to dust. I had reglued it, but not properly apparently, I was also in a low speed collision last season it could have helped to loosen it up.

It seems my options are limited to an OEM replacement from startwin for $600, or retrofitting an aftermarket headlight for a bit less, as they don't make just the glass panels. If you have a good (under $500) option to replace the glass let me know!

I'm thinking of retrofitting something using an aftermarket part like the ones linked below. I just need help with the wiring, I have a brand new SPU in there and I really don't want to short or damage it.

I was thinking I could use the old housing, disassemble it and plug it into the H4 connector, then seal it and hide it behind the light, that way I don't have to do too much cutting splicing and possible shorting. Would this work? If not any assistance on a direct wiring would be helpful.

-----

Something like this I could plug the H4 connector into my high beam and splice the DRL part into my low beam wire, similar to the video below yes? Would have to measure if I could make the MV bracket fit or use fork mounts like the ones in the ad above.
------

Something like this I would have to wire directly though, not sure if it's even possible? I could perhaps cannibalize the connector from the broken stock headlight, but would that mess up the SPU in any way potentially? Also vibes on you think it would look any good on the Brutale?

Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems that the pins are lined up I could potentially splice in the low beams and high beams, it looks like there is a third wire from the high beam that would be the 'parker/side' lights is that what those 5w bulbs are?

It's both halogen bulbs, would a good ol' splice an seal cause issues here? Assuming I do it correctly?
---

Really trying to avoid spending more than $500 and/or frying my SPU again (because that's another $500 haha) I've got a Puppy on the way so budget and motorcycle time will be on the lower end this summer.

Final thoughts: Could I simply cover the lights with some kind of semi clear tape or maybe clear vinyl? Something just to get me through the season or until a good deal comes on Ebay? I don't plan on bringing her to any motorcycle shows anytime soon, maybe a track day this year, she's gotten dinged up from 3 seasons of city abuse.

Thanks everybody!

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
The SPU contains the relay that turns on the lights. The "B" (blue) wire is the common ground for all the bulbs inside the headlight. The other colored wires go to the bulbs as you see. Yes, the 5W are the parking/running light.
I doubt you could hurt the SPU with an inadvertent short. You would blow the fuse, but not affect the relay inside the SPU.

You could cut off the wiring connector from the harness and make a new harness to your new aftermarket headlight using your choice of connection method. These guys sell everything you would need to make a new connector and harness at reasonable prices: Cycle Terminals

Sucks that your glass fell off after you proactively tried to glue it on better. Finding a used oem replacement will be difficult...and pricey. Good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have adapter to sell if you want or you can do it yourself very simple.

This is only for the b4 1090rr or 990r headlight. If you want a 920/1090r headlight it’s a different connector. But except the wiring it’s plug and play

·
Registered
673 Posts
is that your replacement? I'm always worried about losing mine on my 2009 1078rr.

·
Registered
673 Posts
that's what I thought! I want to update mine. I've been poking around on how to convert my bike to brighter LED's so that I can be seen. Now it appears that my SPU crapped out last friday. I'm still trying to get someone to give me a date on when they can get me one as there doesn't seem to be one anywhere in the USA! Part 8A00A9300 WANTED!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's what I thought! I want to update mine. I've been poking around on how to convert my bike to brighter LED's so that I can be seen. Now it appears that my SPU crapped out last friday. I'm still trying to get someone to give me a date on when they can get me one as there doesn't seem to be one anywhere in the USA! Part 8A00A9300 WANTED!
Hey Juney, just order it from Star Twin. It'll take a couple weeks, but it's worth the wait. Best price by hundreds and confidence you won't get from the dealers. Just make sure to email him and stay updated.

Yeah that is absolutely gorgeous, but for $899?? That's gonna be a no for me dog...

The SPU contains the relay that turns on the lights. The "B" (blue) wire is the common ground for all the bulbs inside the headlight. The other colored wires go to the bulbs as you see. Yes, the 5W are the parking/running light.
I doubt you could hurt the SPU with an inadvertent short. You would blow the fuse, but not affect the relay inside the SPU.

You could cut off the wiring connector from the harness and make a new harness to your new aftermarket headlight using your choice of connection method. These guys sell everything you would need to make a new connector and harness at reasonable prices: Cycle Terminals

Sucks that your glass fell off after you proactively tried to glue it on better. Finding a used oem replacement will be difficult...and pricey. Good luck
I'm pretty confident a short in the blinkers is what caused my blue SPU to finally fry. The relay was already sticky, then I put in a new tail light with blinkers, and my buddy touched two wires together and shorted it, but even after replacing the fuse it still didn't work. The next week, hot 95 out the SPU went up in flames just before the Whitestone bridge. Could be a coincidence but ehhh

Thank you for the sympathy esq! Any thoughts on an aftermarket? I'm okay with aftermarket, not quite dead set on that dual headlight I linked, I think I can do better.

I will look into a new connector from cycle terminals rather than cannibalizing the one on the headlight, would probably be worth it. Any suggestions on how I can get info on the connectors the MV uses? It's probably not in the service manual haha

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
Now it appears that my SPU crapped out last friday. I'm still trying to get someone to give me a date on when they can get me one as there doesn't seem to be one anywhere in the USA! Part 8A00A9300 WANTED!
What makes you think your SPU failed??? That is unusual for bikes after the 2007 year model.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
What Ed said - most unusual.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Chuck diagnosed it as much as he could (with me on the other end of the phone) on Facetime.

I was riding and the bike just shut off. Not over heated, wouldn't re-start. Turn the key and the dash does the normal swing of the needle but no sound. Push the start button and it would try but nothing turned over. It was as if the kill switch was engaged. Brought the bike home on the tow truck, plugged it in to my trickle charger, just because. Chuck was kind enough to walk through a few things after I had already swapped out all the fuses etc.

It's either the SPU or...who knows, fuel pump? Once I get an SPU we'll find out. I wasn't going to take the tank off...I'm a wimp.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
Well I certainly trust Chuck and Ed's opinions and technical knowledge.

However, the SPU would not cause the bike to just shut-down - we've read about the odd issue with faulty SPU's not allowing the bike to turn-off - but not the other way.
If I understand what you've said, it sounds like when you turn the ignition the fuel-pump isn't priming? This could be a fuse, a short, a busted hose in the tank or a potential ECU issue - not the SPU.

If there is no priming, I suspect you may have a fuel-pump related issue.

Reactions: PunyJuney

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Or the electric connector to the pump is possibly loose or shorting.

·
Super Moderator
24,108 Posts
Here's the rest of what June and I discussed: I advised her, or her mechanic, to lift the tank and check power to the fuel pump at KEY ON. If that connector is not getting 12vdc for three seconds, then the possibility is that the Fuel Pump Relay (Injection Relay) is bad. Since that relay is in the SPU, that would require SPU replacement.

She is also having trouble with headlights not behaving. Ed fiddles with that at the last Gapalicious event and she's still having trouble.

Since June is a get-ahead-of-the-event kind of girl, she's seeking an SPU in case that is what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Juney, just order it from Star Twin. It'll take a couple weeks, but it's worth the wait. Best price by hundreds and confidence you won't get from the dealers. Just make sure to email him and stay updated.

Yeah that is absolutely gorgeous, but for $899?? That's gonna be a no for me dog...

I'm pretty confident a short in the blinkers is what caused my blue SPU to finally fry. The relay was already sticky, then I put in a new tail light with blinkers, and my buddy touched two wires together and shorted it, but even after replacing the fuse it still didn't work. The next week, hot 95 out the SPU went up in flames just before the Whitestone bridge. Could be a coincidence but ehhh

Thank you for the sympathy esq! Any thoughts on an aftermarket? I'm okay with aftermarket, not quite dead set on that dual headlight I linked, I think I can do better.

I will look into a new connector from cycle terminals rather than cannibalizing the one on the headlight, would probably be worth it. Any suggestions on how I can get info on the connectors the MV uses? It's probably not in the service manual haha

You don’t have insurance that cover the glass break?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,185 Posts
You don’t have insurance that cover the glass break?
And the train gets back on track.... That is an interesting track to take....
I know my insurance deductible would be more than the headlight cost, but perhaps worth @ahaussmann123 looking into ??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tbh, even if my comprehensive deductible is $500 (it’s either 500 or 1000), it wouldn’t be worth the hike in rates because a new OEM can be had for around $600.

She’s 15 years old, I’m okay with a tasteful aftermarket, I’m going to contact local custom shops around the city for options regarding parts the Google isn’t so helpful on this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bringing this back, does anybody have any suggestions on aftermarket headlights? Or a crappy DIY covering to get me through the season and a track day or two? I've taped it up but I don't think the tape is gonna hold at higher speeds....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts