MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few weeks, I've been noticing a little rattle that slowly transitioned to a 'clank' when I'd hit a bump. I initially thought it was all my tools and crap under the pillion seat. But today I noticed a gap between the assembly, and sure enough, with just a light pull, the headlight cover came off. The epoxy had dried, and I was one or two more bumps away from it crashing to the ground and shattering.

So, advice on putting it back together? Should I strip away the original epoxy and reglue? And what kind of adhesive should I use?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
What you want to use is windshield adhesive. 3m makes it among others. I wouldn't use silicone or the common RTV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
933 Posts
What about Sikaflex, we used it for installing new windscreens in aircraft and it allows for some flex when cured which could be part of the problem with a "rigid" adhesive like epoxy. I assume you are well out of warranty with your bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you want to use is windshield adhesive. 3m makes it among others. I wouldn't use silicone or the common RTV.
Did a bit of digging in the forum - apparently it's a common problem.

Should I strip the current dry adhesive, or slap a layer of the windshield adhesive between it and the black housing?


What about Sikaflex, we used it for installing new windscreens in aircraft and it allows for some flex when cured which could be part of the problem with a "rigid" adhesive like epoxy. I assume you are well out of warranty with your bike.
Yeah, got it used - it's an 06 anyway. I'll hit up Home Depot in a bit and check for both Sikaflex and the windshield adhesive recommended by CAG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
933 Posts
As long as you can get the old adhesive off without busting the glass I`d be doing so then you have two clean surfaces to adhere to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
My headlight lens came loose as well. It appears to be a common problem. I've seen this story before....

The headlight assy design only relies on the adhesive joint (tongue and groove) for the lens to be secured. With a heavy lens like Brutale's, this is a design fault, IMO.

I have remedied using an automotive grade silocone adhesive. I made sure I removed all of the old adhesive, cleaned the lens and the plastic base thoroughly with alcohol. I had put some extra amount to assure proper adhesion. No problems after 10k miles. (knock on wood)

I've heard some people have resorted to clear duct tape for extra insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
Remove the adhesive. I don't think you will find what you need at the local hardware store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Totally clean both surfaces of the old adhesive. It wouldn't hurt to rough up the plastic side with a little steel wool either. If you can't find the good stuff at your local auto stores like I couldn't, don't be afraid to use the extra-strength (black) RTV from Autozone. That's what I ended up using and it has held up really well. I was worried at first checking after every ride but now it's been 3,000 miles and still no play whatsoever.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top