MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Brutale 1078 and I want to pull the mufflers off right behind the cross over pipe. I have been told with out the back pressure of my pipes it will hurt my engine. Has anyone heard of this to be true?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You probably mean the mid pipe since the cross over pipes are between the header pipes at the front of the engine.

I don't think it is true. It may not run as well and it will certainly be loud.

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
Why would you want to remove the mufflers? Unless you have a new system to install.

Yeah, it will run like crap and draw the ire of your neighbors, police and politicians.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
wtf? more info please,no mufflers ,how much money do have for the fines you will receive.:bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
851 Posts
If I have understood your question - Make it more free flowing and it will typically run leaner with the original mapping - something that drastic (no mufflers) will almost certainly require re-mapping - Power commander etc. Try it .... you well may lose tickover so that will warn you - that is if you can still hear after removing them :laughing:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in the mountains so Im not worried about the noise. I do know that it will hurt the performance. I was more wondering if it will hurt the engine? such as lock of back pressure or running lean?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I live in the mountains so Im not worried about the noise. I do know that it will hurt the performance. I was more wondering if it will hurt the engine? such as lock of back pressure or running lean?
It will run like crap if you do not install a race ecu and a pc5 or a microtec,your fueling will be out and not good for the engine.then you will have to put it on a dyno to give it a chance to run correctly.Are what the hell is the worst that can happen ,maybe a new engine ?.there cheap on ebay?

good luck cheers.:eek::eek::spank:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If you search for mid-pipe in the forum you'll find quite a few examples of guys who have removed them and added a microtec / PC for correct mapping. I haven't hear of any issues impacting the engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you search for mid-pipe in the forum you'll find quite a few examples of guys who have removed them and added a microtec / PC for correct mapping. I haven't hear of any issues impacting the engine.

Cheers
I believe he is talking about removing the cans in their entirety cruiser. That is taking the cans off and running with headers and midpipe/cat only. Interesting:jsm:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Hey Shoe,
ahhhhhh......hmmmm, - well that's not something I'd be recommending :(

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Dumb idea.
Yes, your engine will run lean, and too hot, all kinds of potential damage, valves, conrods, pistons, bad idea.

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts

I believe he is talking about removing the cans in their entirety cruiser. That is taking the cans off and running with headers and midpipe/cat only. Interesting:jsm:
And that would just be F%#king stupid. :bash:
Not only will it run like crap, YES it could damage the engine if you did not spend big bucks to completely remap the fueling.
And just because you are in "the mountains" doesn't mean your stupid obnoxiously loud engine would not attract negative attention and result in penalties for all of motorcycling. People WILL hear you and be annoyed....most likely the tree huggers up on in the mountains that you don't even know are there.

Grow up. :loser:

·
Registered
876 Posts

And that would just be F%#king stupid. :bash:
Not only will it run like crap, YES it could damage the engine if you did not spend big bucks to completely remap the fueling.
And just because you are in "the mountains" doesn't mean your stupid obnoxiously loud engine would not attract negative attention and result in penalties for all of motorcycling. People WILL hear you and be annoyed....most likely the tree huggers up on in the mountains that you don't even know are there.

Grow up. :loser:
Ed, don't beat around the bush, say what you really think. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts