MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

So am looking to put on a set of oxford heated grips, because the freezing cold English winter numbs my hands no matter what gloves I wear.

I've looked around this site and noticed a few posts relating to them. Especially, the diy one with pics.
The chap who did the install used the premium sports ones.

My question is, would these fit the Brutale Dragster 800 RR? I read elsewhere the RR has 50mm throttle bodies, and i dont know whether this means I need a different set of grips as the ones mentioned fit standard 22mm bars.

Help is gratefully appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
Welcome Digital.

Throttle Body size and throttle tube size are not related.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi ,

So am looking to put on a set of oxford heated grips, because the freezing cold English winter numbs my hands no matter what gloves I wear.

I've looked around this site and noticed a few posts relating to them. Especially, the diy one with pics.

My question is, would these fit the Brutale Dragster 800 RR? I read elsewhere the RR has 50mm throttle bodies, and i dont know whether this means I need a different set of grips as the ones mentioned fit standard 22mm bars.

You can safely go with 22mm :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi ,

the bar ends on both the Dragster and Brutale are 22mm, so either of the Oxford ones will fit fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, should have googled it I guess!

Less mechanically minded and more about just riding the thing :), so forums such as these help enormously.

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
?

Digital;
Try a pair of heated gloves.....your knuckles won't get cold

PSST...... most handle bars are 7/8" 0.8750" 22mm is 0.8661

The World isn't as metric as you think

Take any ball bearing apart and measure the balls......

They're fractional inch

>:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I've done the old heated gloves and don't really get on with them that well.

I've had Oxford a few times and they do the job well enough. :)

So I've had the tank , superstructure and headlights off so a bit of a baptism of fire!

Still - no visible cables and all hooked up properly.

So I'm well happy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, not quite the end of the story...

I thought the oxfords had a relay that prevented the batt from discharging? I went to fire it up this morning and nada, nothing...

Do you guys hook them up differently?

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
How do you have them wired?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Directly to the batt red to red black to black.

I connected them and heated them up to get them on, then after putting everything back together, tested the bike still worked. Which it did.

This morning though. Wouldn't start. Have put the charger on it that the dealership supply when buying the bike and disconnected grips from batt.

Hopefully, that'll at least get it to start!

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
Well, you wired them as I would have.

Did you leave them on? Do they have a parasitic draw?

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure I didn't leave them on. And I don't believe they have a draw, not great enough to draw overnight surely??

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
Well, the BS battery in the 3 cylinder bikes is known to be junk....

·
Registered
149 Posts
That Oxford set up is exactly the same as mine - and I've had no problems for the last 2 years. Check to see that the Oxford battery saver sensor is working (the light with the green surround on the grip controller should light up) - it should sense the drop in voltage when the engine stops (and the alternator stops charging) and turn the grips off after 2 mins. Just make sure that you haven't turned the grips on when it's on a low capacity battery tender (as the grips may stay on, and the grips may draw more current than the tender can make up).

From the Oxford website: "The battery saving mode protects against flat batteries. If you forget to turn the switch off, the grips will do it for you! New switch technology means that, if the engine is switched off, the grips will automatically turn off until enough power is available. This eliminates the need for the user to buy and fit relays."

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did notice the saving light didn't come on when switching off the engine, but figured I'd not left it off long enough for it to kick in.

It does have data tool trakking on it which I guess is hooked to the battery too. Would that affect it in the fact that the battery is constantly being drawn?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts