1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Veeeeery nice, but two grand? Geeze!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Very tasty, but I sold my Sport 1000 a couple of years ago.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, for those of us with problematic fuel tanks (ie. Acerbis gas tanks, or whatever vendor is making them for Agusta) it may be the best solution, albeit a very expensive one. I'm still waiting for warranty resolution for my 2010 1090 RR!

Here is another source of very beautifully made aluminum tanks. However, they're not available for 2010+ Brutales unless a sufficient number of orders are placed to apparently amortize the $7,000 cost of the mold.

http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
there is no mold.....

they use wood patterns.....they call them 'bucks'

here are the heros of metalwork

California Metal Shaping....

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/california_metal/california_metal.htm

they had my Dad's ERCO shrinker for years
I asked my Dad to show me how to work on a shot bag.....in 15 minutes he roughed out an alloy tank for a Kawasaki i was building
then he put the wooden hammer down and said "I don't want to do this, its going backwards......you figure it out" and walked away

Gee, thanks Dad, its a dying art and you were one of the wizards and you won't show your own son?

the Northrup Alpha hanging in the Smithsonian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5763905874/

my Dad did the wing root fillets......one piece of metal, starts at the rear and wraps ALL the way around the wing NO grinding, filing or sanding ALLOWED

look how crooked the tail surfaces are......then look at the light reflections off the wing root....yes, perfect

he made the original gas tanks too with sine wave seams so they won't crack......the plane is missing them and its ID tag......I have a blank one, fuck them

TWA was too cheap to give him a pass to go work on their plane......

that is not the original configuration of the plane......i have the pictures of every iteration of the plane......
and one of it on its test flight with my Dad's buddy flying it.......and they don't even know his name

I do

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Noel,
In presenting the opportunity for an aluminum fuel tank replacement for the Brutale, I thought it appropriate to use Moto-Works' own terminology as evidenced in the following e-mail they sent me.

Hi Frank

Thank you very much for your inquiry. We are really sorry that custom made tank will cost about US$7,000- just for the mold. And about US$2,000- for the tank. We guess that is not practical price for our customers. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Rick
Moto-Works

I have spent the better part of 35 years flying some of the finest examples of "sheet metal" the aviation world has to offer and understand the terminology and process of the fabrication of said material. As I have said it is how they prefer to describe the process, and I must say whatever words they choose does not diminish the exquisite quality of their work.

·
Super Moderator
22,447 Posts
About a year ago, I contacted them about a tank for my S4Rs Monster...they showed it as "in stock", but they never responded. Perhaps I'll try again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This can easily be sent to China. Probably Ningbo/Tianjin where light metal fab is de facto. They can probably churn these out at < 1/2 the price. MQC looks to be about 20, if 10 people prepay, the project can easily happen. Can probably direct ship from factory to anywhere in the world, including UK/AU/IT (wouldn't that be ironic). Only thing I'd need is a spare tank. You can even custom order the color, or have that isht wrapped in CF. It wouldn't be hung in the Smithsonian, but it'd be hella functional.

(I'm going through this process with a custom Mercedes exhaust right now, and the saving for Italian vs Chinese made part is something like 1:3 ratio).

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
$7,000?

da900ex;
the process is hydroforming and it is very fast, cheap and accurate;
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=short+run+hydroforming+dies&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

the male die can be made from plastic, fiber reinforced resin or Kirksite
if you split the tank vertically you'll only need 1 clamp ring
i'd spend the money to have them beam welded to minimize finishing there is no female die

the tank posted is not "exquisite quality work" its got file and grinder marks all over it.....
my friend Ed does them like that.....thin spots everywhere....but they're polished and look good

i would venture a guess that Rick at Moto-Works is a salesman:naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noel,
Let us know when you find a shop that can produce a very short and cost effective run of tanks of a quality consistent with that of the Brutale.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

Noel,
Let us know when you find a shop that can produce a very short and cost effective run of tanks of a quality consistent with that of the Brutale.
what QUALITY?????? it's a POS

you think i'm going looking for tanks? why?
i can build a tank for it too, i'm not going to.....
i put over 12,000mi on it and washed it 3-4 times

my Aprilia RSVR tank is all lumpy, the Ducati tanks do the same.....do i care?

no, my F4, i make things sort of nice for.....its my money pit

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Brutale?

da900ex;
call a hydroform company....they can pop them out to within 0.005"

Ed won't make you a tank

>i said the Brutale tank was a POS
>just like the Acerbis one on my Aprilia RSVR (it almost won't fit back on the bike and I had to slot the fuel pump plate mounting holes when changing a fuel filter
>and on the Ducatis too!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quit jackin' my thread..... :)

I want a aluminum tank, if'n yer not interested don't post. Let's keep it positive. I like TonyC's idea.

Who is this Ed character?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts