MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2963

^Original thread...

I decided to do it today, removing the snorkels. HOLY CRAP! What a difference in both sound and throttle response. I decided to make a new thread, as it might not get much exposure on that other thread. Would be a shame, cause it's an awesome free mod!!!

The noise level idling is the same (obviously) but you can immediatly tell the difference when you just rev her...it's throatier and louder.

When you goto get on it, you can tell she pulls a little better in the higher RPMS, as it opens a TON of air. You can hear her swallowing the air, and if you thought the growl was loud before....HOLY CRAP is it loud now. It sounds so damn mean, even just cruising, but the reward is when you give her gas.

As far as performance goes, you can tell the aready sweet throttle response above 3K is improved. As far as butt dyno goes, you can notice she runs a LITTLE stronger (and smoother!), but nothing to jump up and down over. Also, upon acceleration, it smooths the note out. My Brutale runs fine stoichly, and doesn't pop or anything on decel, but you can notice it does infact smoothen it out a little. Not a ton, but a noticeable amount.

I know I said I would take pics, but seriously, there isn't a reason to. That adn I didn't have a spare hand available. Johns original thread is really all there is to it. You don't even need to take off the tank completely. There's enough rooms to where all you have to do is lift it upa little, tug on them a little and out they come! They're not made of plastic, as the pics percieve them to be, but rubber. They're stuck in there like a rubber grommet, not just placed there, but nothing troublesome as you can do it with one hand while the other holds the tank up a little.

Literally, it's as easy as reading this:

• Remove both seats
  • Remove tank side plates.(the plate that covers the fuses)
  • Remove keygaurd
  • Remove the brackets that keep the tank in place. You'll know it's it because one of the "bolts" is also what the side plates slides onto to keep it in place.
  • Remove the bolt that's at the back of the tank, where your crotch is.
  • Lift up the tank by the keygaurd area just enough to get to the snorkels. you don't to need to lift it too high, as the snorkels are rubber and you can wiggle them out.
  • Put everything back together.
It's seriously, as easy as that.

Put it this way, if somebody did this to your bike without you knowing, you'de be like "god damn is she peppy and loud today." Definitly a worthwhile mod. SUPER simple to do too! Even if you're afraid of taking apart your bike, there's absolutely nothing you can do to mess anything up unless you rip the tank off instead of just lifting it.

Have fun!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently on my reserve right now (which is why I did it...), we'll see how it affects mileage as I have to fill up for the week tonight. It sure is loud though....

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update....

I just went on a nice little ride with a buddy and he instantly noticed it was alittle louder. After the little jaunt he said "dude, your bike SCREAMS now...what'd you change up?"

I thought it was more mental right afterwards, but it really is ALOT louder...ALOT. Didn't wanna make a false report thinkin it was just my imagination, but it really is LOUD. It really growls at any throttle and is throatier. The throttle response definity improved on the more aggressive driving...I would definitly recommend doin this.

·
Registered
593 Posts
im not very mechanically inclined..... creative development in the digital realm is my thing, so I ask..... is this intake for the engine this air flow? if so, does this not change the amount of airflow into the engine?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
spalding12 said:
is there any potential DOWNSIDE to this modification?
Possibly, but correctable.

It may lean the bike out some causing some driveability problems. Intake noise increase may bother some, but I plan to re-map the shit out of my bike to take care of all the extra air coming in and out! :naughty:

Probably Tuesday, so I'll report back then.

John T

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
airfuel said:
Possibly, but correctable.

It may lean the bike out some causing some driveability problems. Intake noise increase may bother some, but I plan to re-map the shit out of my bike to take care of all the extra air coming in and out! :naughty:

Probably Tuesday, so I'll report back then.

John T
how much more peak horsepower do you hope to gain by re-mapping the "shit" out of this DEsnorkled beast?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
spalding12 said:
how much more peak horsepower do you hope to gain by re-mapping the "shit" out of this DEsnorkled beast?
Depends on how "shitty" :eek:nthecan: the air/fuel ratio is. I have no idea what the chip, airbox mod, and full exhaust sytem will do until it's on the dyno. Can't wait!!

John T

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Triple Seven said:
im not very mechanically inclined..... creative development in the digital realm is my thing, so I ask..... is this intake for the engine this air flow? if so, does this not change the amount of airflow into the engine?
When you remove the snorkels, you'll see it doesn't really allow more airflow, it just doesn't make the air bend after the intake screens. The snorkel makes the air travel an 'S' path before it gets to the filter. With them out, you'll see that the air has a direct path rather than having to S around. I doubt it really does much more of a difference leaning out the bike...MAYBE .25 of a point if that. The Brutale runs slightly rich anyhow...

Also, I'm 99% it makes the growl louder because the sound can resonate right back out. It doesn't have pieces of rubber blocking all the intake noise.

It's kinda like removing the 'S box'/intake on your car and replacing it with a tube and filter. The air doesn't take a bunch of bends before it reaches the TB. It also doesn't really lean out if at all. And as a side effect, you also get a slightly louder intake roar. Considering the engine is between our legs, and rubber is rather sound absorbing, that's probably the reason it's so much more dramatic on the Brutale.

I'll report tomorrow on gas mileage (doubt it'll do anything, but you never know...1-2 miles is better than nothing!)....I'm expecting to run an entire tank of gas tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
where's the air pressure/air temperature sensor on the brutale?

on the F4, it's in the left ram-air tube, about 3in. from the opening. if you pull the tubes on the F4, you won't have a place to put this sensor...

alex

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not in the snorkels...that's for sure. This is what they look like. Snapped a pic...on my way out to work. They're nothing more than pieces of rubber that make the air do a bend in order to quiet down the intake growl (like on a car).

Attachments

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
oicdn said:
When you remove the snorkels, you'll see it doesn't really allow more airflow, it just doesn't make the air bend after the intake screens. The snorkel makes the air travel an 'S' path before it gets to the filter. With them out, you'll see that the air has a direct path rather than having to S around. I doubt it really does much more of a difference leaning out the bike...MAYBE .25 of a point if that. The Brutale runs slightly rich anyhow...

Also, I'm 99% it makes the growl louder because the sound can resonate right back out. It doesn't have pieces of rubber blocking all the intake noise.

It's kinda like removing the 'S box'/intake on your car and replacing it with a tube and filter. The air doesn't take a bunch of bends before it reaches the TB. It also doesn't really lean out if at all. And as a side effect, you also get a slightly louder intake roar. Considering the engine is between our legs, and rubber is rather sound absorbing, that's probably the reason it's so much more dramatic on the Brutale.

I'll report tomorrow on gas mileage (doubt it'll do anything, but you never know...1-2 miles is better than nothing!)....I'm expecting to run an entire tank of gas tomorrow...
i'm sure that you are precisely correct
i'll look forward to your report
the storm is turning further east
we might be getting lucky....
others might not be AS lucky

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
oicdn said:
When you remove the snorkels, you'll see it doesn't really allow more airflow, it just doesn't make the air bend after the intake screens.
You got me thinking about this Nate, so I traced the outline of the opening and the snorkels.

Looks like we get more airflow without the snorkel. Hard to calculate how much, but it looks significant. I'm hoping this is a cheap mod for more power.

John T

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
airfuel said:
Depends on how "shitty" :eek:nthecan: the air/fuel ratio is. I have no idea what the chip, airbox mod, and full exhaust sytem will do until it's on the dyno. Can't wait!!

John T
I know we have talked about doing some airbox mods before as restrictions on airboxes are a lot more common due to noise regulations, ect.. and they do rob power. I am glad to see this mod is so simple. I have a BMC airfilter and PC III waiting to install before I go down to the dyno after a business trip. Cant wait to try all this out!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
spalding12 said:
i'm sure that you are precisely correct
i'll look forward to your report
the storm is turning further east
we might be getting lucky....
others might not be AS lucky

BTW Greg,
Good luck on this upcoming storm. We had our "fun" with the hurricane last year, dont wish that on anyone.

·
Registered
198 Posts
lorenzotx said:
BTW Greg,
Good luck on this upcoming storm. We had our "fun" with the hurricane last year, dont wish that on anyone.
Yeah, it's headed right to my house in Parkland. I don't think I can take another one. I got pounded last year and had major damage.
One more hurricane and I am moving back to SoCal. :cussing:

·
Registered
261 Posts
MarcoM3 said:
Yeah, it's headed right to my house in Parkland. I don't think I can take another one. I got pounded last year and had major damage.
One more hurricane and I am moving back to SoCal. :cussing:
I know what you mean. Fortunately, Rita turned a little to the east of Houston last year. For a while I had a Cat 5 monster tracking right over the house, not a good feeling. Houston did a mass evacuation and that was traumatic enough. Although Im glad I have a place in Austin to run to in case things get too bad.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Triple Seven said:
so whats the verdict on this mod?

also do you need to remove the gas before?
no need to remove any gas...it just makes lifting the tank a bit easier.

John, I saw how they allow more air in, but the air is more turbulent as it's not guided down the intake tract, and then even further smoothened by the diffuser....seems like it's a bit of a trade off.

Hmm...I rode a bit today, and the intake growling is LOUD. Even my friend who doesn't ride was like "Damn...that thing howls!"

Did another high speed run down a deserted road....it's noticeabley louder in 6th in the high RPMS with the higher wind velocity entering the intake chamber. The throttle up there is also alot smoother....

As far as gas mileage...meh...didn't do anything. Light still came on ~100. I wasn't expecting a change anyhow...but damn is this growl nice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts