MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 990R, was running perfectly.
Got it into the garage, and it stayed 2-3 weeks, than I tried to start it and it refuses to start.
I hear all the electronics as usual, but when I hit the starter, I hear a "Tick" and nothing happens.

I will post a video asap it will be easier to understand than my bad english.

Any ideas?

I tested the battery, it is ok, fuel is ok.

P.S: garage temperatur was low for the 2-3 weeks I was on travel around 41F

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Is the engine kill switch off? (the red one on the right) ;-)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Don`t trust it not to be the battery. Throw a charge on it for a while and try it again.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I hear all the electronics as usual, but when I hit the starter, I hear a "Tick" and nothing happens.
It sounds very much like a low charged battery...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The red switch is in the right position I have checked it in both positions any way.

I have tested the battery with a voltmeter.
The horn, headlight and all other lights works fine and do not look dimmed.
I have tested all the fuses, and all the connections I can get to.
I was told to test the relay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The red switch is in the right position I have checked it in both positions any way.

I have tested the battery with a voltmeter.
The horn, headlight and all other lights works fine and do not look dimmed.
I have tested all the fuses, and all the connections I can get to.
I was told to test the relay.
sounds like the battery the one on my 1078rr failed a 100 miles from new, lights looked fine on mine as well.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
And it's not in gear?

As Chris said, charge the battery, don't just check it with a volt meter. Also make sure the connections at the battery are tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try to charge the battery as suggested. Can I hook it up to a car battery and try to start the bike?

As for the gear, it is in neutral, side stand up...

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
Jumping with a car battery is OK....but don't have the car running. Quick battery test...hook up your voltmeter and try to start. If voltage drops to 9V or less under starter load then the battery is dead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jumping with a car battery is OK....but don't have the car running. Quick battery test...hook up your voltmeter and try to start. If voltage drops to 9V or less under starter load then the battery is dead.
Will try it once I get the cables

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
+1 billion to previous comments

...have simply bump-started the bike in previous situations where the bike has not been started for a few weeks. Ride it for 30m-1hr and the battery is fine. The Bump start has never caused any issues with electronics.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
can't bump start with slipper clutch.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i've heard that trying to bump start a bike that has a slipper clutch is not impossible.

but that it is extremely, extremely, difficult and tiring, especially if you are the one helping a friend push the bike constantly.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i've heard that trying to bump start a bike that has a slipper clutch is not impossible.

but that it is extremely, extremely, difficult and tiring, especially if you are the one helping a friend push the bike constantly.
+1

I have read some of the Ducati guys have done it with their slippers. It depends on how much slip it's going to give as not all slippers are the same.

Jump from another battery would be my choice. Beats pushing :)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
+1. My new 312 had a duff battery. I left it a week in the garage. If you hit the starter it simply clicked on the solenoid...No turning of the starter motor at all..Dead as a Norwegian blue !

Yet, The headlight worked...the indicators worked..the horn worked..all at the same time.....Fitted new battery..end of problemo ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well to be honest with you people I hope it is the battery.

I tried the bump start on a short distance (lack of space, other wise I will have to go down the hill and you can imagine if it wont run) any way it did not run, so I ordered on-line for a battery charger hoping that it is the problem.

I will keep you updated, meanwhile all suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you by the way.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Best of luck Mad...and by the way, welcome to the family.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts