MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to the 989? Is it still planned for North America, or will we only see 910 models and 1078s?

Just curious, as I was hoping (and saving) for a 989, and a 1078 would likely be a bit big for me (power wise).

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
So why would the 989 not be too much and the 1078 is? I guess for me the difference doesn't seem like too much but I never know ;)

Both should be coming to the USA, don't hold your breath as they usually come in august+ for the USA, well after europe. Also may be considered as a 2009 model in the USA... but who knows maybe they'll do something different this time.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Power difference won't be much at all, both are overkill, as is a 910.
The difference is the wheels and brakes, thereby the price.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Yep, 910 is already plenty! 989/1078 just seem a bit overkill if i can't take advantage of 910s full potential.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think a slipper clutch is a great idea on any bike. I wish my 910 had one. The clutch alone is a grand and god only knows what the labor would be.

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
I think a slipper clutch is a great idea on any bike. I wish my 910 had one. The clutch alone is a grand and god only knows what the labor would be.
I have never felt the need for a slipper on my 910R...but then, I am not riding it on the track at race speeds either.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What happened to the 989? Is it still planned for North America, or will we only see 910 models and 1078s?

Just curious, as I was hoping (and saving) for a 989, and a 1078 would likely be a bit big for me (power wise).

Thanks for any info.
Chet I'm going to the D.C. motorcycle show this weekend. I will try to get some info for you. I think the new bikes have alot to offer, although the older colors on the 910s are more appealing to me.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Chet I'm going to the D.C. motorcycle show this weekend. I will try to get some info for you. I think the new bikes have alot to offer, although the older colors on the 910s are more appealing to me.
SAVE UR MONEY the new models won't even be seen or in any brochure! They have I think 3 bikes on display.

·
Registered
716 Posts

Thanks for any info.
I talked to one of the guys at the local dealer today (Pat Clak Motorsports) and he said that there will not be any 989's here, only the 1078. He wasn't sure about the 910.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I talked to one of the guys at the local dealer today (Pat Clak Motorsports) and he said that there will not be any 989's here, only the 1078. He wasn't sure about the 910.
That seem specious considering MV has never withheld ANY of its past models from us, why start now?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What I have heard form the rep at the last LBC show is that eventually the 910r will be the "regular" one, with the 989 replacing it in the ranks, and the 1078 as the king... Until the 910 gets dropped completely, most likely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just found this little quote from Cycle World:

The Brutale got some changes as well. The 910 is now a 978, to make more power while still keeping a smooth and linear power curve and meeting those pesky Euro3 emissions regs. Claimed power is now up to 141 hp. Suspension is also reworked, and improved Brembo brakes are also added.

Why not just put that 1078 motor into a Brutale? They actually went ahead and did it with the Brutale 1078 RR. Not only does it get the big engine, it also gets the throttle bodies from the F4 1000 R and the monoblock calipers from the R312 RR. It will need them; this new engine, in Brutale tune, makes 154 hp, a handful on a naked bike that will require a good handful of brakes.
Personally, not only do I think it is overkill, but why bother making multiple versions of the same bike with similar displacements? I think it would make more sense to return to a 750 for a value priced, more intro level version. That would get more butts into MV Agusta seats and then have a liter class bike for those who think that "too much is never enough." Or is it because they don't care about success and just want to maintain the overpriced Italian cache? If they offered a good 750 at about 115 hp for under $12,000, MV could take a huge chunk out of the Monster market. I would be at the front of that line.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Engine size really does not have that large an impact on the price of the bike. It really does not cost that much more to build a 1078 than it does a 750 but we all know that MV would not be able to ask the same price for the 750. To me what makes an MV superior is the other things that you get with an MV, the suspension, brakes, forged wheels, great fit and finish. If you start cutting back on those things to me it would not make an MV what it is, regardless of engine size. If you want to see what cost cutting does, go look at the front fender on the new Ducati 848. It looks like something you would not put on a dirt bike, let alone a 13,000 premium Italian motorcycle.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Engine size really does not have that large an impact on the price of the bike. It really does not cost that much more to build a 1078 than it does a 750 but we all know that MV would not be able to ask the same price for the 750. To me what makes an MV superior is the other things that you get with an MV, the suspension, brakes, forged wheels, great fit and finish. If you start cutting back on those things to me it would not make an MV what it is, regardless of engine size. If you want to see what cost cutting does, go look at the front fender on the new Ducati 848. It looks like something you would not put on a dirt bike, let alone a 13,000 premium Italian motorcycle.
Exactly right, which is why you can tell the 989R is actually the new 'S' and the 1078RR is really just a 910R with more ccs. The parts on the 989 are basically 910S parts, with the exception of the brakes, but they are cheaper radials than the ones currently on the R bikes (actually, they are the same ones that come on the 848).
SO, no 910, which is why I think they really need a new 750 or 675 or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly right, which is why you can tell the 989R is actually the new 'S' and the 1078RR is really just a 910R with more ccs. The parts on the 989 are basically 910S parts, with the exception of the brakes, but they are cheaper radials than the ones currently on the R bikes (actually, they are the same ones that come on the 848).
SO, no 910, which is why I think they really need a new 750 or 675 or something.

YEAH RIGHT! And i can tell you that the front suspension is NOT ADJUSTABLE on the 989!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If that is really true, then they should bring out the 989, and 1078 with barely a bump in price over the 910s and 910r....NOT! My money says $1500 premium on the 989, more on the 1078.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts