MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Sorry to be introducing myself to many of you this way but I'm stumped (that isn't difficult) My Beautiful 2011 Brutale 920 really dislikes the British weather.
Last week she sat out in the rain for a while and then on starting misfired like a choking Gorilla... And was even worse when I went to pull away at which point she stalled almost throwing me off like an angry donkey.
I left her to dry out the following day and her condition returned to normal.
Today we had a little rain whilst she waited patiently for me at work and then once again when I went to fire her up she again misfired and continued to do so throughout the short 7 mile journey home.
Any ideas to what may be causing this? I've got a can of ACF50 and a plan on adding extra rain protection to the bikes electrical components but it would be handy to have a better idea of what could cause this.
Many thanks in advance

Registered
Any ideas to what may be causing this?
Just a guess, but I would say leaving out in the rain is causing it. >:)

Seriously, I have no idea but welcome to the forum. Someone who has had similar experiences will probably offer constructive suggestions.

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum. Might I suggest a waterproof cover with a built in heat shield for the exhaust. Other than that I'm sure others will chime in. If you do end up using a cover try to figure out a smart way to transport it. Maybe... if you can... get two covers and leave one at work for those surprise storms. A PITA but maybe necessary.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks peeps, I'm not a fair weather rider and this bike will have to endure everything the British weather can throw at it including Snow and frost... An impossibility for a touchy Italian?? It'll be coming with me kicking and screaming... Surely a little rain shouldn't do any harm?? Looks like I've got a fight on my hands. ?

Registered
Sorry cannot help with the error but my 920 has spent it's life in all weathers with no issues as far as running is concerned, might take a few attempts to start it though.

Super Moderator
There are three places I would check for water intrusion: The main ECU harness connection, the fusebox, and the dash connection.

Registered
There are three places I would check for water intrusion: The main ECU harness connection, the fusebox, and the dash connection.

Is the right answer.

I'm a few junctions up the M40 from you (assuming your forum name includes your actual location) and it's not exactly been biblical rain recently so I would suggest that the issue will be visible as only a little rain is causing problems.

If not immediately visible and you are able, get the bike somewhere dry, covered and well ventilated and run it up. Then use a plant sprayer or similar to mist the above electrical components 1 by 1 to narrow it down.

Registered
Also -- what about ignition systems? -- Coils - leads .. etc...

Registered
could it be something silly like the plug caps are not pushed fully home and filling with water?

Reactions: Edward and esq'z me

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry cannot help with the error but my 920 has spent it's life in all weathers with no issues as far as running is concerned, might take a few attempts to start it though.
Thankyou... Garage trying to tell me it's Italian and therefore should spend its life under a blanket but seeing as there seems to be no one else with this problem I'm guessing it's just mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou... Will try that when I'm next at work (only dry place I have til my garage is built)
Yes I'm just off J10.

Is the right answer.

I'm a few junctions up the M40 from you (assuming your forum name includes your actual location) and it's not exactly been biblical rain recently so I would suggest that the issue will be visible as only a little rain is causing problems.

If not immediately visible and you are able, get the bike somewhere dry, covered and well ventilated and run it up. Then use a plant sprayer or similar to mist the above electrical components 1 by 1 to narrow it down.

Thankyou... Will try that when I'm next at work (only dry place I have til my garage is built)
Yes I'm just off J10

Registered
its sunny here down south of the uk lol............not for long!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
its sunny here down south of the uk lol............not for long!
Let's hope that Sun is heading in my Direction. ?
Just had a downpour with the Dash covered by Sainsbury's. Gave her a good wash n wax followed by a good rinse and guess what.... She's running like a dream..... Touch wood.
So now I've got to figure out how to waterproof the dashboard ? and then prey that is the answer.... Sacrificial ?锔 ? anyone!

Super Moderator
Remove the dash and access the multi-pin connector. Clean that connector with contact cleaner and then apply an electronics grease. When reinstalling the connector and dash, ensure the rubber cover is correctly in place.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Remove the dash and access the multi-pin connector. Clean that connector with contact cleaner and then apply an electronics grease. When reinstalling the connector and dash, ensure the rubber cover is correctly in place.
Thankyou... I have literally just back from a ride in the rain after doing exactly that and all seems to be well. ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Well that's been well over a month now and been raining non stop for almost an entire week, The Beautiful Brutale has been sat out in the rain the entire time and happily taken me to work and back every day without missing a beat.
Just given her a good hot bath and she looks as good as new now! ?
One thing I'm baffled over is that if I press the hazard light switch I get a quick flash of Amber and then the indicators fail to work at all.
Then I have to leave the bike a while before magically everything turns back to normal.
There's a Datatool alarm and imob fitted if that's the likely cause!? Cheers peeps and ride safe.

Super Moderator
There are tons of reports of Datatool interference with bike operation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts