MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I'm at decent speed, the bike won't shift into 6th gear. It goes into some sort of false neutral, but not a full neutral because even with the clutch in while it's happening the engine makes little knocks and grabs a little like it's almost gonna go into gear. Once I coast down a little it will let me shift back down without any problems.if I try to kick it down into 5th while im at speed it makes a loud bang and to do the downshift it takes a big effort on the lever. This just started happening recently and I remember reading a post on this site that these first gen brutale have an issue with this,and that they need regular oil changes because sometimes a gear will stick to another.can it really be something so simple? It shifts into 6th at lower speeds fine, it only happens over 70 mikes an hour. What do you guys think? 2006 brutale 910s

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
The gear engagement dogs in 6th gear are very close spaced for minimal lash. If you do not make a full and positive shift, holding your toe under pressure on the lever until the shift is completed, you can fail to make the mesh of the dogs fully. The free spinning 6th gear rpms are not matching with the moving engagement gear rpms closely enough.
This is what is happening to you. This is not uncommon on many high performance bikes at lower rpms (Hayabusa Suzuki is one I am familiar with). If you are shifting at a very high rpm it is less likely to occur...of course higher rpms in 5th and 6th mean you are going very fast indeed.
My Brutale 910R is the same, but I know why and what to do.
So the answer is to always maintain pressure on the upshift until you actually complete it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're trying your best to shift as esq'z me has instructed above and you are still having a hard time, some damage may have already been done. I had a problem with mine going into 2nd gear. The shift fork was bent and drive dogs were rounded off. I have a video on removing the transmission and finding the damage, link below.

Video

1 - 3 of 3 Posts