MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've stripped one of the threads and need another new/second-hand brake caliper support flange. I've looked at Star Twin price from Europe and hoping to get one closer to home in South Australia and better price. Any suggestions appreciated

cheers Claudio

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Claudio;
just have a Heli-Coil installed.....

if you want another one, how about $10 + shipping?

me, I'd Heli-Coil it, It'll be cheaper :drummer:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Noel
The Heli-Coil was going to be my next option. I put a thread tapper through it first and felt OK until I went to tighten up the bolt and only got about 1/2 the recommended torque on it. I've reinstalled it with Loctite for the time being but would like to take you up on your offer of $10 plus shipping.

Also, while I'm about it, would you have the oil filter tool to instal the MV Agusta oil filter? I used a chain type tool but not very satisfactory

cheers Claudio (I'll PM my address etc)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Claudio, send me a picture/diagram of the bit you need, I might have it on the garage floor.

Stop using those filters and your won't need a filter tool. The Purolator filters have "PureONE grip control for easy install."

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would go with the heli-coil first. Unbeknownst to most people, heli-coils are installed in many NEW aluminum castings that require repeated torquing. So don't think it is a stop-gap repair.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy, here's the pic of the Brake caliper support flange that I need and where do I get these Purolator filters from Adelaide?

Once I get my present flange off I will instal a Heli-Coil and keep either one as spare anyway

cheers

BTW the how/why I ended up stripping the thread on the right side hole in pic is because I was re-installing my hub. I read the many posts on these forums and assiduously followed the workshop manual. Everthing was going well until I came to attach the brake caliper. There was not a lot of room between the bottom of the hub clamp/swing arm and the top of the Nissin 4 pot caliper. I managed to get the rear (left side) bolt in OK but when I inserted the forward/right side bolt it was nudging up agains the underside of the hub. A lot of jiggling of the eccentric hub and persisted to insert the caliper bolt to my detriment ending up stripping the thread. I pulled the hub out again, tap threaded the stripped thread, etc. Yesterday was reinstalling and peered at the photo in the manual and noticed that the 'bulb' of the eccentric hub is on top with the hub/axle at bottom dead centre. I'd installed mine 180 degrees in reverse with the bulb at bottom and the hub at top. I followed the Manual's picture and installed it as above. Hey presto, there was now ample clearance between the caliper upper body and the lower part of the hub clamp/swing arm and was able to instal the brake caliper, albeit with one dodgy thread, and finish the rear hub installation and adjust the chain tension just fine. Damn...why wasn't that critical bit of info printed in the manual.....

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK checked out Purolator at http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/pages/applicationguide.aspx but MV Agusta isn't listed. What's suitable for my 910S 2006? and the filter still looks like it needs a oil wrench tool. How does it go on/off? Can you send a pic?

For the moment, I've already installed my MV oil filter and will still need a tool to get it off in a few thousand kms. Any leads?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Pretty sure I have one of those at home, will check tonight.

I use the PL14612, I have a box of them and as it happens one on my desk in front of me.
I just use my hand to tighten/remove them : " PureONE oil filters are 100% covered in textured grip control for easy install at any angle."

If you want one or a few I can send you some, if you want more Noel was my source.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Claudio, if you haven't already sorted the part out with Noel send me a PM, I did find what you need in my pile of bits.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Claudio, send me a picture/diagram of the bit you need, I might have it on the garage floor.

Stop using those filters and your won't need a filter tool. The Purolator filters have "PureONE grip control for easy install."

Hi Richard, Install is easy..I removed one froma spare engine that wasn't even restricted by exhausts etc. It was a tit without the tool. When I had my bike's oil changed ( I was there ! ) Shire Oaks tech used the filter removal tool. He also filled the filter with oil before he fitted it. I was impressed by that too...

The young fella working on my bike lives and breathes motorcycles. When he was 16 he rode this F4 on the training pad at his dad's motorcycle training school . Was I worried ?

No he can ride way better than me.

Am I worried about him working on my bike...No I'm not ..He was building engines when he was 12, has now qualified at college, and importantly he loves the bike and loves to work on an MV....My kinda guy :)

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oil filters

Hi Noel

sorted the caliper support flange from Rich. I'd like to order some of the Puralotor filters and other stuff. I'll PM you, cheers Claudio

Claudio;
if you want the bracket let me know.....if you want some filters too I'll get a bigger box :drummer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts