MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. New to the forum and the MV Agusta family. Been dreaming of an MV for many years and finally score a beautiful '08 910R in Denver with no real miles on her. I have to say she's everything i expected. Handels like a hot knife through butter and pulls like a train. The bike's bone stock. Unlike most who own these beasts, being a racer, I like the sharp throttle. The only issue I have, and it doesn't bother me too much, is the surging while trying to hold a steady speed. It's more so at higher speeds but, none the less, always there. On the track it's really a non issue but I ride her on the street, too. Now, I'm no newbie to the two wheeled world and I assume a Power Commander, or possibly an eprom, with a good tune on a dyno will clear most of this up but before I go spending $350 for the PC and $200 on a dyno I thought I'd ask those who have tackled the problem first in case there's another solution I'm unaware of. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
There was a factory update on the ECU mapping to fix the surge at steady throttle 50~60 mph. Don't know if your bike got that or not. Don't know if still available, but Ferraci might as his son Larry was running MV USA when your bike was originally sold.

It can also be minimized with a careful tuning by a tech that knows what he is doing.

But if you want to make it run really good try and get the Corse exhaust and kit ECU !!!! Or if you have bucks get a Microtech.

The PC III won't work well on your bike because of the o2 sensor. The DynoJet oxygen sensor eliminator won't work either, since it sends a constant flat line signal and the ECU wants a varying signal so it knows the sensor is working. Flat line will throw a trouble code and ECU goes to limp home mode.

Many discussions on this subject. Search is your friend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome Altra Donna. It's strange to say that, for me. I purchased my '06 910S 5 days ago. I am in "new Brutale owner" bliss mode as well.

I have the surge issue, but I'm glad to report that it's only when trying to maintain a specific speed -- at least on my bike. Winding through the canyons, the engine was "true" to throttle adjustment. Doesn't surge when receiving refined instructions, just when trying to hold the throttle absolutely still. That first ride in the canyons, when I had this realization, was a huge relief to me.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Red Scalpel...the '06 Brutale has the 16M ECU and no o2 sensor. If it is surging then it needs some tuning. And the Power Commander III works well on your bike.

The '08 is a completely different EFI system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Esq'z me, thoughts on an FBF Stage 1 EPROM. Just received my Arrow Thunder full exhaust and BMC air filter and, as you've said, PClll is apparently not an option for my '08.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
There is no eprom for your ecu, only on the early ones. You have to swap the entire unit.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Kit ECU?

Altra donna;
you need a Kit ECU for a 910R?

PM me

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Altra donna;
you need a Kit ECU for a 910R?

PM me
And there is your answer....:yo:

Just remember, after installing the kit ECU you will need to hook up VDST and set the TPS...and with the kits ECU it will be advisable to hook up the gas analyzer and trim the idle CO.

Both of these essential tuning steps require the VDST software and cable. If you are near Atlanta I would be happy to help, as I have the tools needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts