MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I have a strange problem on a brutale 910r 2007.
I start the bike, let the engine heat up and go for a ride. Everything normal. After a while i stop in high traffic. Engine gets hot, fan on. Everything normal.
After sitting on idle about 3-4 min, i hear like a missfire and then engine suddenly stops. Its absolutley random. It happens for 1 month already.
I changed spark plugs.
I checked the connections, used some contact spray.
Measured with a multimeter the side stand switch. Seems to work fine.
Any ideas? My dealer told me to wait untill the engine stops for good beacuse they cannot diagnose ?
Any idea is gold. Thx

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm thinking maybe a coil. However you don't say how long you've had the bike and how it was running before this problem. Bit more info would help eg. has it always been a problem since you got it or has it just occurred after ???kms or so many years of ownership?

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
It dies sound like a coil is getting hot and cutting out. Follow the diagnostic process in the manual to test.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
VDST will also show a fault code stored if a coil is failing. Even tells you which coil.

Randarosa's 910R had a coil fault code. Replacing that coil was a part of what I did when I "tuned up" his bike... ask him how it runs now ! :naughty:

Reactions: silentservice703

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 910S 2006 and this sounds like a similar issue mine has.

Bike is fine most of the time, but once it gets hot (read 95 degrees c) and I come to a stop, the bike will misfire and stall. Sometimes it starts straight back up again, other times I need to leave it 2 minutes to cool off.

There is apparently one permanent fix and then a couple of work around options.

Permanent fix is a Microtec ECU and remap. The remap is set to have the fans kick in sooner, keeping the temp under control during whilst slow or stationary. Also does some bits to the fuelling which apparently help the issue. Only problem is that it's circa £800 gbp for the upgrade.

In regards to work around options, there are a couple of things that can help and aren't quite so expensive:

- Iridium spark plugs.
- High octane fuel (mine is much happier with 98 octane).
- Radiator fan upgrade (dual metal fans), a fairly simple mod.
- Keeping the revs on at low speed (you can use the choke adjuster for prolonged periods of slow traffic).
- Water wetter or similar radiator coolant additive.
- Never go below 5mph when it's hot. Bit difficult that one.

Hope that helps anyway. Common issue I'm afraid and only a remap seems to cure it fully.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same problem ever since I bought my 910R at ~15K miles. I think many others have as well. It generally happened more on hot days and seemed completely random. It'll miss a beat once in a while and sometimes completely stall. The stalling appeared to happen when I was at a stop or coasting with engine at idle. The first time it happened, I replaced the spark plugs. Although, I doubted plugs would cause it to completely stall. Plugs didn't help. I just lived with it. Sometimes it didn't happen for months. Sometimes it would happen 3 or 4 times in a week of daily riding. Last year I had to replace my SPU because the bike wouldn't start at all. Since then, the engine hasn't missed a beat. Then again, we haven't had very hot days since I replaced the SPU. I'll only know once summer comes.

Although faulty ignition coils do often reveal themselves when they get hot, I doubt one ignition coil would cause the engine to stall. You'd get rough idle. But I think it would take at least 2 consecutive bad coils, missing a beat consecutively in order for the engine to completely stall. With this problem, it's impossible to pinpoint the problem because the engine starts right back up again. So, you can't reliably duplicate the problem enough to diagnose.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
A low idle speed will also cause a 910 to stall occasionally, although mostly when cold.

Regardless..... Checking true idle speed (not the meter) and set TPS with VDST software are the first steps in diagnosing this. Throttle body synch should be part of that as well.

·
Registered
470 Posts
interesting this had similar problem with this 910s i have when mine got hot fan came on it would cut out
its in the set up you have to understand your machine turns out it ran to rich check CO 3%-4% 3.5% mine likes to be about 3.2%
check tps 2.3% then balance throttle bodes mine runs fine even when i change an exhaust and re set it .
you don't say what spec ie euro 2 or euro 3 euro 2 is easy to set up euro 3 is a bit more complicated you do need software to set tps

·
Registered
388 Posts
interesting this had similar problem with this 910s i have when mine got hot fan came on it would cut out
its in the set up you have to understand your machine turns out it ran to rich check CO 3%-4% 3.5% mine likes to be about 3.2%
check tps 2.3% then balance throttle bodes mine runs fine even when i change an exhaust and re set it .
you don't say what spec ie euro 2 or euro 3 euro 2 is easy to set up euro 3 is a bit more complicated you do need software to set tps

Spot on, the leaner the better! To a certain point, mine is under 3%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts