MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The charger supplied with the bike takes endless hours and never turns green. The manual write up supplied says that once the charge is complete the green light turns on. I tried charging the battery a couple of times for more than 24 hrs, the red light on the adapter is on. I had to get the battery charged from a battery store. Can anyone throw some light on the issue...

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
it is a low current (<1 amp) trickle charger for long term maintenance. If you battery was near dead it could take several days to recharge at that low current rate. For long term storage, though, that is just what you need.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
If it looks like this one!

Best thing to do, is take the charger out into the yard and throw it as far away as you possibly can

·
Registered
215 Posts
do you buy that or come with bike.? get an optimate best think i ever bought mate!(did it come in a Christmas cracker):stickpoke

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
do you buy that or come with bike.? get an optimate best think i ever bought mate!(did it come in a Christmas cracker):stickpoke
it came with the bike 312R, and yes it would fit in a Christmas cracker,

yep the optimate is good but I prefer the Meta

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use a CTEK XS 800. It charges fast and is compact.

There are a lot of so called motorcycle chargers out there that are just POS trickle chargers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
that looks smart! how much? from where?:mouthwate

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
it is on mine, cannot speak for any others, but have an alarm fitted for insurance purpose's, about a week and batt dead.:violin:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Buy a deltran battery tender, wire the plugged pigtail to the battery keep it plugged in between rides, you'll always have a full charge.

If the MV charger is set up like the battery tender, if the voltage of the battery is below a certain level when you hook it up, it will NEVER charge the battery, it's built into the battery tender design, I do recall you can fool the battery tender by first hooking up to a fully charged battery and then switching over to the low charged battery tho I've never tried that.

Chris

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
Buy an OptiMate III.....THE best battery charger for private use. Not as expensive as you might think. Recommended by all the major motorcycle manufacturers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it is a low current (<1 amp) trickle charger for long term maintenance. If you battery was near dead it could take several days to recharge at that low current rate. For long term storage, though, that is just what you need.
i take the bike out only once a month for a 150-200 km ride. i have to also ride the other bikes in turns so each bike just gets about ridden once a month. what ure saying is that i connect the charger for the whole time im not riding i.e. a month to ensure its maintained?

If it looks like this one!

Best thing to do, is take the charger out into the yard and throw it as far away as you possibly can
its the same one

yes, it was supplied with the bike and i thought that Acumen Electrinics UK made one of the best digital chargers for bikes. check the link out http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/product/Titanium_V&A_Smart_Battery_Charger_20120

Is losing charge a problem on the Brutale, or is it just for storage?
this is a valid question. does the Brutale get discharged by virtue or is its just storage?

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
this is a valid question. does the Brutale get discharged by virtue or is its just storage?
If alarm is fitted, like most due to insurance demands, it will drain the battery within 2 - 4 weeks,

all chargers mentioned on this thread (except one supplied from MV) are good as they give initial fast charge boost to a LOW battery then switch over to "Trickle charge" which you can leave connected as long as you wish.

I give mine a full boost then onto trickle charge for a day then leave it disconnected until its needed again as im a bit paraniod with regards to wiring shorts and electrical fire, hate to leave anything connected at home when im not at home

1 - 15 of 15 Posts