MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy one of these bikes today (trading up from a Ducati Monster 695).

It will be for short trips in town, general pleasure riding, and taking to the mountains on weekends. This bike will be all about fun- I have a BMW K1200GT for longer rides.

Any thoughts from those who've tried both?

Thanks in advance :drummer:

JCM

·
Registered
99 Posts
very different bikes. I have driven both and actually bought a sprint st. But my sprint is like your bmw so if I was placed in your position I would ask myself do you want an angry italian or a balanced brit? Just buy both if you have the $$$$

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like the Brutale- they both seem to be fun bikes but the Brutale's riding position is better for the city visibility issue.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
JCM0165 said:
It looks like the Brutale- they both seem to be fun bikes but the Brutale's riding position is better for the city visibility issue.
Absolutely. Exactly why so many sportbike riders have purchased nakeds and become *former* sportbike riders. Unless you're a committed racer doing a lot of trackdays or just enjoy an uncomfortable riding position, the Brutale will do everything a sportbike will do and aoffer a lot of versatility to boot.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi JCM,

I was in a similar position to you last year - choosing between a new Daytona 675 or a second hand Brutale 750.

Daytona positives:

- Competitively priced
- Lovely intake whistle
- Lots of factory mods available (mostly carbon fibre bits)
- Not your average Japanese inline 4, but the same class (if that's what you're looking for). Beat them at their own game by doing it differently

Negatives:

- Build quality matches the price
- Crippling riding position, especially for commuting
- Looks a lot like a CBR when on the road. Do you want people admiring your bike or thinking "just another pocket rocket"?
- Lacks soul
- While it sounds nice, the MV engines sound better.

Brutale positives:

- Build quality is second to none, there is a LOT of attention to detail paid on these bikes
- Lovely intake rattle
- Comfortable riding position
- Comparatively exclusive
- Exquisite streetfighter looks
- Baby, you got soul!

Negatives:

- More expensive to purchase
- Availability of parts sometimes questionable
- Cost of mods (factory or after market)

In summary, if you can afford it, get the Brutale. I did and haven't regretted my decision once.

But hey... you're asking on an MV forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the Brutale R. 80 miles so far heading from Charlotte to Charleston via Southport.

Wow, this is a bike.

Cheers!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just came back from a long, fast Sunday morning ride. Rode a long stretch of highway under construction, hit occasional rough/potholes at 90-130 kmh standing up mtb style. Brute rode straight and true. Add that to the list of things it can do well.

Note: Don't try rough roads with a passenger, unless you don't mind losing one mid-ride.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spalding12 said:
i am very happy that you came to this decision in a scientific manner
we'd all love to hear your "stream of consciousness" during that decision-making process.... if you have the time and recollection

congrats.....
many many congrats
SInce I think decision making, in spite of our best intentions, is largely an unconscious process, I'll try to do the best I can with what was available to my conscious mind.

1) The look. The Triumph is cool but fades into the homogeneous, amorphous mass of sportbikes. The Brutale is a distinctive design statement and that counts.

2) The riding position. Feedback from experienced riders at the shop was that I'd be safer being more upright given that this bike would largely be ridden in city traffic.

3) The engine. This bikes snarls like an angry dragon.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
910 compared to a 675...unfair. Good thing you got the 910R though...otherwise, I think you woulda went home with a not-as-big grin on your face!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts