MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a discussion with my mechanic today after getting the new alternator installed on my 2005 Brutale.
He said I am coming up to the 36K service soon and its a real biggie.
When I asked about the cost he quoted me $2,500 (AUD)

Really?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Replacement of cam chain, sprockets/gears is suggested at that mileage which involves a major tear down of the engine. Big labor cost. Mine has that many miles on it. I just had it apart and saw no signs of wear, cam tensioner had a lot of adjustment left in it. I'm sure the dealer would like to have the job but I doubt it's needed. Valve adjustment could be in order though. A search will reveal more opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Kel,

The 36000km service is the replace everything service if you look at the manual, the list ( http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/manuals/mv-agusta-brutale-910-enginemanual.pdf section B ) includes :

new chain and spockets
new cam chain + tensioner
new hub
pretty much every fluid and filter
valve clearances
new spark plugs
front wheel bearings
and probably more...

Now, you probably won't be replacing your Mitch hub, but it should be serviced every 10-12000km.
Front wheel bearings can be checked, most people replace them as they need it rather than at a set point.
The chain and sprockets, again they may not need to be changed.
If you don't know the fuel filter and hoses ( at least the ones in the tank) have been done I would change those. My experience with AU fuel says the hoses last about 4-5 years unless you've made the mistake of putting E10 on there.

Then we get to the cam chain and tensioner. Often an argument about this but the chain almost definitely doesn't need to be replaced, the tensioner is probably ok as well assuming it is the later type. So it it were me I'd get the tensioner removed and checked when the valve clearances are done and if OK put it back in again. Frank may have a different opinion ;-)

You could phone Jason at Worthingtons for a price comparison but I expect them to be about the same. Other than that you are looking for independent mechanics that have worked on MV. There are a few about, ask here if you want details.

Or the cheapest option do it yourself :) I did most of it on my 910R myself, if you have the time and tools it's not too bad a job.

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kel,

The 36000km service is the replace everything service if you look at the manual, the list ( http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/manuals/mv-agusta-brutale-910-enginemanual.pdf section B ) includes :

new chain and spockets
new cam chain + tensioner
new hub
pretty much every fluid and filter
valve clearances
new spark plugs
front wheel bearings
and probably more...

Now, you probably won't be replacing your Mitch hub, but it should be serviced every 10-12000km.
Front wheel bearings can be checked, most people replace them as they need it rather than at a set point.
The chain and sprockets, again they may not need to be changed.
If you don't know the fuel filter and hoses ( at least the ones in the tank) have been done I would change those. My experience with AU fuel says the hoses last about 4-5 years unless you've made the mistake of putting E10 on there.

Then we get to the cam chain and tensioner. Often an argument about this but the chain almost definitely doesn't need to be replaced, the tensioner is probably ok as well assuming it is the later type. So it it were me I'd get the tensioner removed and checked when the valve clearances are done and if OK put it back in again. Frank may have a different opinion ;-)

You could phone Jason at Worthingtons for a price comparison but I expect them to be about the same. Other than that you are looking for independent mechanics that have worked on MV. There are a few about, ask here if you want details.

Or the cheapest option do it yourself :) I did most of it on my 910R myself, if you have the time and tools it's not too bad a job.

Cheers
Rich
Thanks mate. Is there anyway of telling if the valve clearances/ cam chain are due?
One thing I do know after today (bike back after the alt fix) is that Frank and Moto Tecnica are the only ones that will ever get to work on this bike!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Valve clearances are on the schedule to be checked every 12000km. If you don't know the FULL service history of the bike I would definitely get them checked. The chain and tensioner can be checked whilst doing that, but the book says replace both at that time...

Best to talk to Frank in detail about what you do and don't want doing, he works on these bikes everyday. I'm happy to tell you what I do, but it's based on my bikes and how I ride them over the last 10 years.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valve clearances are on the schedule to be checked every 12000km. If you don't know the FULL service history of the bike I would definitely get them checked. The chain and tensioner can be checked whilst doing that, but the book says replace both at that time...

Best to talk to Frank in detail about what you do and don't want doing, he works on these bikes everyday. I'm happy to tell you what I do, but it's based on my bikes and how I ride them over the last 10 years.
Will do mate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts