MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Having now read up on a few posts on the bike, I'm hoping MV have sorted the niggling probs out on the 2014 model. The 2013 model I testrode had brilliant fueling at speed but god awful around town.I'm hoping the latest maps have cured that. I dont like the sound of sprag clutch wearing and causing starting issues and hope the new bike will come fitted with the new modified version. I've read about a trickle charger that someone got with the bike. I own an Optimate which I intend to carry on using with this bike.

I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of my new Brutale 800 but would like to be able to enjoy it rather than moan about fuelling/starting issues.
Somebody please reassure me there won't be a problem:confused:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've had no major issues with mine in 5000 miles (touch wood) a new gear position sensor and waiting a claim for a new dash to go through as a spot has appeared under the plastic, should be sorted in the next week or so. Other than that it's been a joy :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Man, I've had mine since August 16th and already put over 1,500 miles on it. It's a 2014 Brutale 800 ABS... I've experienced is a few clutch-in stalls as described by other members, but it has only happened when the bike is not up to FULL operating temperature - at least 3 bars.
I let the bike go through diagnostics and idle until a single solid temperature bar and had 1 or 2 stalls. This has been on days with temps in the 50s-low 60s F. If it's 70+ F temp, I've had no stalls. Once it's up to full operating temp...no stalls.

Fuelling...I have the herky jerky fuelling in traffic. If I change gears and engine RPM I can mostly control it.
In my opinion, if I wanted to have a docile smooth ride in traffic, I'd probably just ride a Honda 500 or something. Since I'm not using my bike to commute, it just doesn't bother me at all.

If I could commute in it, I would anyway lol.
This bike is a joy so far and since I'm pretty much done with my break-in period...the performance is just fantastic.

John

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had mine about 3.5 months and love commuting on it. It can be a bit jerky at low speed sometimes. But I'm getting used to it. When the speed gets up it all becomes worth it.

I don't know about other battery tenders because I don't use them, but the one that came with my bike is fitted out to connect to the plug under the seat. The battery is under the tank so it's impossible to connect to directly. If your other unit has the right fitting then you may be able to use it.

Hard to know if you'll have the sprag problem, but I recommend getting it seen to asap if it becomes slow to start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up the Optimate 57 adapter for MV that allowed me to use the standard Optimate plug and USB charger. It kept me from having to get to the battery for a direct connection. It's only 12 inches long so you would need another additional connector if you want it to hang out for more convenient charging.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers guys. So I should get a trickle charger with the bike then. I should be able to rig up a connector that'll allow me to use both.(not at same time obviously).

Have today ordered a radiator guard and adapter plate for my constand that I use on my cb 1000r so I can lift the MV up for maintenance/cleaning.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncla8f85rVk&list=UUZzJyR1pt9ZQ1J1IAvvl3wg

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The MV should come with a charger, your easiest options are to use it or see if you can get/make up an adaptor plug that plugs into the stock mv charger plug and the connector on your optimate? If your keeping your CB then won't you want both bikes plugged in at some point anyway?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trading the CB in for the MV. I like the Optimate because it isn't just a trickle charger it conditions the battery too if plugged in for longer periods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts