MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear hub bearings have gone. Again! Second time in a year, both times caused by dealers who subsequently deny all responsibility. The last event I had the chain/sprockets replaced by an (MV) dealer and drove away with the chain overtightened for about 10 miles before I realised, I adjusted the chain and after pulling away 3ft there was a "clonk" and my rear wheel was all wobbly, got the bike shipped home and of course dealer denies doing anything wrong. Last time it was a £930 job at the dealer to fix (and a 5 month wait) so I don't want to go back there. I need some guidance on rear wheel removal please. My children have managed to eat/destroy/conceal my owners manual should I just get one of ebay or can someone list the procedure for me? I have the rear wheel removal tool and I want to get the wheel off and check the hub condition before I either get the bearings (I have the references and a UK location for them) or get a new hub unit. I want to do this myself as visits to dealers are expensive and often lead to my getting more problems. So any advise/help would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
With the rear on the ground, the bike in gear, and one foot on the rear brake, loosen the large nut on the right side of the bike by turning it CLOCKWISE. It will probably be very, very tight. If you have a breaker bar you will need that. You can use a 1/2" drive impact gun ONLY if you have the aluminum socket for the rear nut. If you use a steel socket with the impact wrench, you will scratch the axle nut.

Once it is loose, put the bike on a rear stand, continue to loosen the nut and remove the rear wheel.

To inspect the hub, you will need to remove the axle also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.I have bought the MV socket for the rear but just discovered my new torque wrench "only" goes up to 210NM and I need 220 - 240 to tighten! I have a smaller torque wrench that I carry with me for the pinch bolts/chain adjustment. I'm just kicking myself I didn't check the chain when I collected the bike from the dealers, was I silly to think an MV dealer would adjust the chain correctly before letting me ride away?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
No, not really. But if they don't adjust the chain properly I would be hesitant about bringing the bike to them for a more serious service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hello, the torque for the rear hub is between28-32 NM if you want som specifications go to MV Agusta F4 fan site y hope its help ,sorry about my englich (from belgium) Indy 500.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the torque setting advice, I'm aware that's for the hub pinch bolts and is a vital setting, the wheel nut is 220-240 though. I have never taken the wheel off before so if someone has some additional advice about the axle/hub removal it would be most welcome. Any PDF downloads of workshop manual greatlfully received! Thanks. Pete

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You may want a friend to help steady the bike.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You have to loosen or remove the slipons to get the wheel all the way off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where abouts in the UK are you. I have the sockets, torque wrench and have had the wheel off twice already (tyres before you ask.... :) )

If you are in my area and need a hand give me a shout
:)

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discover a time machine back to 2009? Please introduce yourself to everyone in the new members section. Welcome time traveler!

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
Do you need a proper stand or can you manage by other means to get the hub out?
Welcome to the family...please do introduce yourself in the "New Members" section.

To remove the rear hub for service you will need some means of supporting the rear of the bike off the ground. Not an axle stand, as you will be removing the axle!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I only discovered the chain was too tight on my B4 750 when I came here and saw all the hub horror stories! Although my bike has been very well maintained by previous owners, the chain was way too tight. It had slack, just not enough. Luckily though, the hub seems to have survived, so far!
Good luck with your repair, post up how it went with pics if possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts