MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a rapid electrical clicking when I flip the ignition on. Here's a video of it happening -- key on, bike in neutral, side stand is up. It starts clicking/flickering the headlight as soon as I toggle the engine kill switch to "run." Clicking sounds like it is coming from the SPU, which I've never had a problem with before, but it is the old version. I'm also not hearing the fuel pump prime as it should.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2EXJK9V4Dd0bmQ2ZDJYUTJXQWc

I haven't had time to dig in and hunt yet, this came as a blow just as I thought I was getting everything back together and running. Hoping someone will have an idea right where I should start looking. The only thing I've done so far is verify all my fuses on the SPU are good

Recent work:
- brand new Shorai battery, has 13.3V. Drops to about 13.05V during this clicking
- have had the alternator and starter out/reinstalled
- new fuel sender unit
- upgraded the wiring harness for my Microtec, which added a MAP sensor, lambda sensor+wideband controller, speed sensor bridge connection
- also replaced 2 LED's on my dash control panel, but I don't imagine that would have any effect

Thanks for any insights, I've had limited time to get work done on the bike and I'm pretty weak at electrical

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Have you checked your Vin Number. That seems to be the definitive on whether you have the SPU that fails commonly.

I recall that the bad ones had a blue back and the newer a Black back ..but the definite is the Vin number.

It does sound like you have an SPU issue though !

I hope it isn't the SPU but it sounds like it.

Joe

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cycled through disconnecting all the components that had come in contact with any of my recent work (dash, fuel pump/fuel sender, headlight, speed and side stand sensor connectors) unplugging them one at a time and turning the ignition on. When I unplug the fuel pump or remove the F15 15A fuse (injector-fuel pump-ignition coil), the problem stops.

How can I determine whether the issue is the SPU, or the fuel pump or fuel sender? I wasn't having any issue with my pump before, and the fuel sender is brand new, but I'd hate to spend $500+ on an SPU only to install it and find I'm having the same issues.

Any ideas how I could determine what's the culprit for sure?

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
I am working off my phone, so I hope this comes through. You seem Davy enough to do a thorough check of the wiring. Grounds are particularly troublesome. Check the battery wiring again at the diagrams and pictures in the manual. There are a number of folks who have botched polarity and the number of wires per terminal when reinstalling batteries.

The fact that the noise goes away when the fuel pump circuit is disconnected strongly suggests the problem lies in that circuit. That doesn't mean SPU control is not suspect

Recheck your work. The old adage is that whatever you did last caused the new problem.

Good luck
C

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am working off my phone, so I hope this comes through. You seem Davy enough to do a thorough check of the wiring. Grounds are particularly troublesome. Check the battery wiring again at the diagrams and pictures in the manual. There are a number of folks who have botched polarity and the number of wires per terminal when reinstalling batteries.

The fact that the noise goes away when the fuel pump circuit is disconnected strongly suggests the problem lies in that circuit. That doesn't mean SPU control is not suspect

Recheck your work. The old adage is that whatever you did last caused the new problem.

Good luck
C
Thanks Chuck. I have a sale pending for a new version SPU--even if it isn't my problem right now, if the old one was crappy enough that MV redesigned it, that's a good reason to get it out of my bike that I plan to have for years to come.

Now my concern is how I can test the circuit and be sure everything is correct before connecting the new SPU? On a normal car or motorcycle, I'd just try it out and if I blew another relay, big deal, it's a few bucks and you put a new one in and chase the problem. But risking blowing a $500+ part that is not serviceable, or readily available ANYWHERE, has me concerned

Any suggestions for an electrical troubleshooting novice? (pretty good direction-follower, though!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can borrow my SPU to test. Don't blow it up! The whole thing is a fuse panel. I think you'll be okay but what do I know. PM sent.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a new SPU from the forum! Got it installed! Aaaaaand.... still the same problem. But hey, now I have an updated SPU, and a spare old one.

There's something wrong with my Microtec. Which I'm thrilled about, because X-bikes has tremendously responsive customer service (no, no they don't. They're f'ing awful.)

I swapped in my stock ECU, and voila, the fuel pump primed just like it should. Now I have to figure out what to do. My bike has an MWR filter, de-cat, and 910R "track only" cans. My fuel map still needed work, which was an ongoing project with the Microtec, but I have no idea how poorly things will run if I swap the stock ECU back in. I didn't have time to get the tank all back on and reconnected tonight

sigh.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Well, at least the bike should run with the old ECU back in. Which ECU is the old one...I assume it's a 1.6M for which Merc07 could hook you up with a sweet chip that should work just fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meant to bring some closure to this but forgot to post an update:

The issue was caused by a fault in the new loom for my Microtec. An incorrect pin is grounded on the side of the harness that connects to the bike's main wiring harness. Because of this, it delivered a constant 12V to the fuel pump. What should happen is that you'll see 12V at the fuel pump connection for a few seconds (I imagine this is the time that the pump primes), and then the voltage drops down to something around a few volts, I don't remember exactly off the top of my head

For now I've swapped back to my old loom while awaiting another new one from xbikes, and then my autotune saga will continue (and maybe conclude!)

thanks to everyone who provided insights

1 - 12 of 12 Posts