MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just ordered two new tyres for my brutie, and to be honest I don't know much of it yet (just driving for 2-3 months). He asked me the measurements of my current tyres they are 120/65 and 190/50. He told me trust me I'm changing your front tire to a 120/70 it will drive much better. Ofcourse I believe him but still I love to check with you pro's to be sure and to learn a thing or two about it. Any ideas?

Thx in advance!

Gilles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a million Red Baron! I'm calling my dealer right now to change the order. Didn't see those threads.

Gilles

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
May run into clearance issues with front tire...but maybe not, depends on the brand and model tire. Will also change steering geometry somewhat. You may not notice.

The rear is kind of big for the 750. Try the 180 instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a big difference? I mean will the bike turn smoother with the smaller tire in the rear or? Sorry for the ignorance :)

Cheers Gilles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW the tyres I'm ordering are Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
Slower steering with the wider tire....but again, you may not feel anything, and brand and model tire makes a big difference. Every tire has its own profile and there can be big variances in handling characteristics within the same sizes.

What kind of tires are you getting?

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
The 120/65 front tire is pretty rare these days. I am running 120/60 front and 180/55 rear Michelin Pilot Pure on my SPR 750. Handles very well indeed.

Pirelli shows a 120/60 and a 120/70 front in your tire choice.

The 750 came standard with 180/55 rear but lists the 190/50 as an option.

The good news is the suspension can be adjusted to get the chassis balance you want regardless of tire choice. The front tire clearance is the only question mark.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Michelin 120/70 fits ok on the 750 Brut, been running those for years since the 65 became hard/impossible to get in a road tyre. 190/50 on the rear, works fine for me.

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
Only 750's had 120/65.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your opinions, I'm going to get my tyres monday 120/70 and 190/50 Pirelli diablo rosso corsas.

I will let you all know how they worked out for me.

Greetings Gilles

·
Registered
203 Posts
My opinion and experiance in far more than 100.000 km on fast bikes is that front and rear tyre should match by their profile.
On Brutale, since front tire dimension 120/65 wasn't an option I decided to ride on 120/60 and according to lower profile than OEM tyre I changed the rear tyre to 190/50 to those tyres are almost perfectly match each other (last 20.000 km). Next time I'll do some modification on front fender, so I can use 120/70 tyre without rubbing the fender and use 190/55 on the rear as the perfect match.

Tyres comparation by profile:
120/65 is - middle
120/60 is - flat
120/70 is - round

180/55 is - round
190/50 is - flat
190/55 is - round

The smart thing to decide is don't not mix round and flat profiles designed tyres, because they have different contact surfaces on lean angle.

For better understanding, read an article like this one http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0302_rear_motorcycle_tire/#13007661954911&DISPLAYINTERSTITIAL_15
and specialy take a look a differences on this image

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thank you all for your opinions, I'm going to get my tyres monday 120/70 and 190/50 Pirelli diablo rosso corsas.

I will let you all know how they worked out for me.

Greetings Gilles
So?
How Your tyre combination manage on extreme lean angles?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't done extreme turns yet, but on normal use it feels much better then before. But the tyres that were mounted were completely used so I guess it's only logic ... I'll let you know when I did some fast turns how it responds.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have rode on the Diablo Rosso Corsas since they were introduced into the United States on the 910R and on the track with my 07GSXR600. They are excellent tires and have saved my bacon several times. Very forgiving, turn well and perform well under hard braking. I never push them in the rain but they have never let me down either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts