MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crying:Hi there,

Just been out for a ride, about 25 minutes on the motorway doing around 80mph, came off the motorway and travelled through town at a steady pace, pulled up outside my home with the fan running as usual, went inside to un-lock my garage and when I came out coolant was running out of the black rubber hose from the expansion tank.
I have never had this problem before, I might sound stupid but what has caused this to happen ?
I have already replaced the impeller with a up-graded one from Evolution in Italy and I am using "engine ice" coolant which is said keep the engine running slightly cooler than normal coolant.
I have just topped up the coolant, but the amount I put in seems to me less than what was on my drive way !
I look forward to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
brutale jockey

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
I'll say it first...whatever you did last has caused the problem. Folks "top up" their coolant when it isn't necessary. The coolant in these vehicles should be held at the min mark on the bike expansion tanks when the bike is cold. Anything above that will come out the overflow. If the bike has been operating normally and all you did was go for a ride, then that is my diagnosis.

·
Registered
418 Posts
+1 with Chuck, I live in a relatively hot part of the world (summer temp reaching 40C sometime), and I keep my coolant level between min and max and use standard 5 year coolant. The temperature gauge has reached 104C numerous times without loosing coolant through the overflow.

BTW, I've found the only way to check oil and coolant easily was to make my own wooden stand to keep the bike vertical (rear hub stand and spider stand raises the rear of the bike too much).

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts