MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was going over the bike last night whilst it was ticking over and noticed that its blowing at the join between the downpipes and collector. (I'm assuming on the 750 its not actually a catalytic convertor?) Is it okay to use a sealing paste, something like Red Hylomar ??

Given I don't actually mind the look of the collector box, are there any advantages to removing it and replacing with the link pipes that are available??

Cheers

Fent

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It is a cat unless someone has messed with it, as far as I know all the 750s came with the cat, mine certainly did.

Unless there is much of a leak I wouldn't bother messing with it. Are the springs still there to hold it all together ?

The link pipe weighs about 3 tons less than the cat, I exaggerate a little but not that much !

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Sealing pastes shouldn't be necessary. Depending on the amount of "blow by", I would be concerned that the catalytic converter is plugging up...that would effect performance negatively.

The exhaust system should be free-flowing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those replies. I'm seriously contemplating the ECU upgrade from Chris at X bikes and he suggests that a link pipe would add a small boost. I must confess I'm also curious to know what it sounds like

As for the blow past, okay its not excessive but it does leave a sooty mark along the downpipe and my OCD can't deal with that. I've got the system off at the moment for cleaning so I'll put a smear of hylomar on when I reinstall everything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a muffler shop should be able to expand your head pipes so they seal better....

:drummer:
Useful consideration point, however;

I should be so lucky finding a place that would be remotely interested in undertaking this minor piece of work and then paying for it. Versus. The part used tube of Hylomar already in my garage. :)

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts