MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some information that was posted on the Yahoo group which I thought would be useful here as well...I searched on this forum, but I did not find another post about it, so I decided to start another discussion.

My Brutale was taken into the shop for a problem with the rear light (brake light worked, but taillight did not) and the battery was not charging. Because of a combination of it being August (when Italy is on vacation) and the fact that this is a problem part on the Brutale and was on back-order even at the factory, it took a rather long time to get this issue resolved.

I finally received my Brutale back from the shop a few weeks ago. It took about eight weeks before she was finally released from captivity. The good news is that almost all of it was covered by warranty; however, my battery was killed by the unit (CDI) and I had to pay for that as the battery is only under a 3 month warranty.

The lastest news is that MV is continuing their work with the manufacturer of the part (CDI) to get the issue resolved, but no progress has been made yet (as of two weeks ago when the chief mech at my shop went to a Cagiva USA training and asked some detailed questions on the issue). So, for now - in the US at least - MV will replace the part even if it is out of warranty. At least, they have done it at my shop a few times.

If you have a Brutale 750, just be careful and look for any odd electrical issues - these are usually a sign that the CDI is on its way out. I have heard that heat could be an issue, but no one from MV will confirm this. One sign that I know to look for is the left indicator flashing erratically...or the battery will not hold a charge...or the brake light will work but not the taillight. Those are all that I know of now.

If it helps at all, the part number is 800099123 for the replacement CDI.

Also, I have not heard or seen any reports of this being a problem on the 910.

Just a FYI...Hope it helps someone...

Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further...

Not a problem! I hope that it does not happen to anyone else...but, my shop alone has had at least 5 units in to fix this issue (maybe more as that is the number that were in and waiting while mine was in the shop plus one previous to August that was fixed and released). Considering how few of these beautiful machines are on the road in the Pacific Northwest of the US, that is a high number. At least one of the machines is on its third CDI now.

Also, I do now know that at least one 910 has had the issue.

So, good luck! I hope that mine is the last one with the problem ever...

Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
HI are you talking about the box with the fuses in. If so I have 4 in front of me as a selection from the dealer. This is after mine went wrong and it took 3 months to get another. I took mine to bits and can fix the no fuel pump problem. It is a long term current drain problem as some tracks burn off without blowing the fuse.
The local dealer has been told it is a UK only issue???? I would like to know if it is the same problem where else it is happening? He is a small dealer and has about 8 broken boxes in stock at the moment!

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
quixotic_1 said:
This is some information that was posted on the Yahoo group which I thought would be useful here as well...I searched on this forum, but I did not find another post about it, so I decided to start another discussion.

My Brutale was taken into the shop for a problem with the rear light (brake light worked, but taillight did not) and the battery was not charging. Because of a combination of it being August (when Italy is on vacation) and the fact that this is a problem part on the Brutale and was on back-order even at the factory, it took a rather long time to get this issue resolved.

I finally received my Brutale back from the shop a few weeks ago. It took about eight weeks before she was finally released from captivity. The good news is that almost all of it was covered by warranty; however, my battery was killed by the unit (CDI) and I had to pay for that as the battery is only under a 3 month warranty.

The lastest news is that MV is continuing their work with the manufacturer of the part (CDI) to get the issue resolved, but no progress has been made yet (as of two weeks ago when the chief mech at my shop went to a Cagiva USA training and asked some detailed questions on the issue). So, for now - in the US at least - MV will replace the part even if it is out of warranty. At least, they have done it at my shop a few times.

If you have a Brutale 750, just be careful and look for any odd electrical issues - these are usually a sign that the CDI is on its way out. I have heard that heat could be an issue, but no one from MV will confirm this. One sign that I know to look for is the left indicator flashing erratically...or the battery will not hold a charge...or the brake light will work but not the taillight. Those are all that I know of now.

If it helps at all, the part number is 800099123 for the replacement CDI.

Also, I have not heard or seen any reports of this being a problem on the 910.

Just a FYI...Hope it helps someone...

Chris

Yikes!.... The last couple of days I noticed my high-beam indicator light on my 750-s flick on and off momentarily. This has happened twice (that I noticed) - hope that's not a sign of grief to come!.....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
john348 said:
I took mine to bits and can fix the no fuel pump problem. It is a long term current drain problem as some tracks burn off without blowing the fuse.
The local dealer has been told it is a UK only issue???? I would like to know if it is the same problem where else it is happening? He is a small dealer and has about 8 broken boxes in stock at the moment!

John

John, I don't want to speak for Chris but as far as I have heard this problem he's talking about has not had it's internals exposed as far as you have gone with yours. In their case I have only heard of lighting problems, never a fuel pump..and this is over a couple of years and quite a few people involved worldwide (the lighting problem usually manifests or starts with odd directional blinker behaviour or odd headlight issues).

Do you have photos we could perhaps compare to someone else with the problem? Maybe Chris could have a look at a faulty unit for photos from his dealer and contrast vs yours?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Idubbs said:
Yikes!.... The last couple of days I noticed my high-beam indicator light on my 750-s flick on and off momentarily. This has happened twice (that I noticed) - hope that's not a sign of grief to come!.....
Mine too!!! I have less than 1000miles(new 750) on and mine and it does the same thing. At first, I was not sure what was catching my eye. Then...I thought I was hitting the passing trigger. I have noticed it more often over the past few hundred miles....seems to often come on when the cooling fan does.
Hope it does not strand me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a brutale on the weekend and yesterday it nearly burnt to the ground. I traced the problem to the fuse box ( in the workshot manual the call it the cpu ). Not sure what caused it to melt down though. any ideas why this happened?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engine on my wife's 750 dies completetely (intermittently) whilst changing gears, clutch in , changes gear, goes to give it a blip to down change and then there is nothing, she has to hold the clutch in (while still riding) and hit the start button. Once she was on the freeway doing 100km/hr. Our shop did not believe there was a problem at first, eventually they changed the throttle body sensor, today we went for a ride and it happened again, so i guess it wasn't the throttle body sensor. She has noticed the indicators flashing is erratic when she changes gear.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
aussiehog said:
The engine on my wife's 750 dies completetely (intermittently) whilst changing gears, clutch in , changes gear, goes to give it a blip to down change and then there is nothing, she has to hold the clutch in (while still riding) and hit the start button. Once she was on the freeway doing 100km/hr. Our shop did not believe there was a problem at first, eventually they changed the throttle body sensor, today we went for a ride and it happened again, so i guess it wasn't the throttle body sensor. She has noticed the indicators flashing is erratic when she changes gear.

Change to NGK CR9EIX
Read Tuning 1,2 in the FAQ (signature link below)

You need to, or find someone who can, set up the bike's state of tune.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
My signals have always flashed erratically, and I have had the dreaded "die when pulling the clutch" happen twice before, but yesterday made me think the two are actually related.
While backing out of a parking space, the bike just died-zap, but restarted fine. Then about 10 minutes later, while signaling a turn, my blinkers stopped working, both sides and the dash light. I kept using the button, hoping they would come back on, and lo and behold, about 30 minutes later they did, erratic as before. I'm calling my dealer about it this morning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have yet to see that these two issues are related, but who really knows. I have had this 'died while clutch pulled' issue before, but it is very rare for me. As for your blinker issue, that sounds exactly like the CDI problem. So, yes, phone up your dealer and ask if they can check for the CDI issue - if they claim that they have no idea what you are talking about, have them call Cagiva USA or my dealer (Motocorsa in Portland, Oregon; ask for Eric). Replacing the part is just a stop-gap, though, because there is still no fix for it yet...

Good Luck!

fazer6 said:
My signals have always flashed erratically, and I have had the dreaded "die when pulling the clutch" happen twice before, but yesterday made me think the two are actually related.
While backing out of a parking space, the bike just died-zap, but restarted fine. Then about 10 minutes later, while signaling a turn, my blinkers stopped working, both sides and the dash light. I kept using the button, hoping they would come back on, and lo and behold, about 30 minutes later they did, erratic as before. I'm calling my dealer about it this morning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John,

Yes, that is the part. I have not heard that it affects the fuel pump, but it very well could given that it houses connections from the fuel pump. It is most definitely not a UK-only issue, but the fuel pump connection might be...just don't know. James has stated just what I have heard from my shop and some other riders - mostly, the issue starts to manifest itself with signal or other lighting issues or problems with the charging system (which are linked), then it gets even more weird - but, I never got to the fully strange part...just the rear light and no charge to the battery (which killed my battery and fouled my plugs). It sounds to me like you do need to get yours changed, but there is no guarantee that any single unit will last longer than another.

MV and Cagiva say that they are working with the manufacturer of teh part to find a solution, but there is no news of it yet. I expect that they will issue a recall once the problem has been solved...although, that might be expecting too much...

Good luck!

Chris

john348 said:
HI are you talking about the box with the fuses in. If so I have 4 in front of me as a selection from the dealer. This is after mine went wrong and it took 3 months to get another. I took mine to bits and can fix the no fuel pump problem. It is a long term current drain problem as some tracks burn off without blowing the fuse.

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
motorfiveo said:
Mine too!!! I have less than 1000miles(new 750) on and mine and it does the same thing. At first, I was not sure what was catching my eye. Then...I thought I was hitting the passing trigger. I have noticed it more often over the past few hundred miles....seems to often come on when the cooling fan does.
Hope it does not strand me!
Yep, mine too, as Id posted before. The lights flash to high beam at 194-195 degrees when the fan comes on and then again when the fan goes off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
after reading this post i know i've stayed away from our little community too long and i'm out of touch with b750 stuff. this thread is sad and my last few days have blown. i left scuro for 4-months without a tender and got home to find battery completely drained. put in a new one and all four turnsignals lit up solid without key in ignition. would not turn off. turn on key and headlight comes on but got no fuel prime and zero crank. shit. soon i could smell electrics heating. wtf! i had to fly back out and now can look forward to getting back into the mess when i return christmas week.

ok... experts... please ramble on me a bit and help me get back up to speed with bugs and gremlins related to our brutale 750s. mine is a year one version.

i know i let the battery die but i'm now freaking that my baby is :2up:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently (unwittingly) purchased a used 2004 750 last fall. I didn't ride it too much this winter (being in rainy PDX) but noticed on occasion the bike would stall while running but it seemed to restart right away. On a group ride, someone asked why I was flashing my lights. Then, I noticed at night when I pulled in the clutch, the headlights would dim. And at relatively cool NW temperatures the engine would heat up and the fan kicked in at slow speeds. On my second long weekend trip on the Brutale, I found myself stalled again, luckily at slow speed. I tried to restart but no luck. The display had gone out even though the key was turned on. After stepping off the bike and waiving down my husband, we noticed there was smoke coming out from under the tank! Being in the middle of nowhere, we were lucky to be assisted by a truck with a fire extinguisher. After lifting the tank and pulling off the seat, we were able to pull the battery leads off to stop the fire. But the mysterious black box later found to be the CDI was seriously charred along with the underside of the gas tank. The local dealer has ordered our new CDI. Chris, who do you contact for a replacement in the NW? Do the dealers claim to know that this part is commonly faulty?

-Amy

·
Registered
119 Posts
the 2004 b750s i just traded for a 2006 910s had to get a new CDI after it finally fried 2.5 years and 5k miles. from early on, my bike had an erratic turnsignal blink on one side. after a long, hard ride in heavy rain and high winds, the trip odometer started to randomly reset and cycle through settings on its own. i also had a highbeam indicator that lit blue on its own but the highbeam lamp was not on. lastly, the fuel pump wouldn't work and after flat-bedding bike to shop, they had no clue. i told them about the CDI issue and they ordered one as a last resort. it fixed all the problems including the fuel pump. i traded for my 910s and after 300-miles, i notice the highbeam blue indicator light flickering on/off a few times :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts