MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been looking at de-cat link pipes to use with the standard mufflers, I can't stand that big ugly cat box. They're all around the $400 mark which is pretty steep, there's a talented guy in Geelong who can make me one for around half that. I was showing him the setup i wanted and it struck me, why not cut the standard system just in front of the flapper valve instead of after, and use a longer link pipe, the flapper must be pretty restrictive. Has anyone done something similar? I'll probably need PCV and autotune i guess, any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,665 Posts
Most of us, when we mod a bike exhaust, remove the flapper valve control so that the valve stays open all the time.

...or we install a full system that does not have the valve....

IMG_0015r.jpg

IMG_0012r.jpg

IMG_0019r.jpg

IMG_0030r.jpg

IMG_0032r.jpg

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
The lady has some guns (arms) and she is nice looking (lady and bike). By the way, you don't have to completely remove the tank to remove the cables. Just lift up the back of the tank about 3 inches.

·
Super Moderator
22,665 Posts
I don't mess with her....much....

She works in an industrial electricity generating venue and is used to dispatching men with her wit.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There do seem to be a few squeeze points at bends and such with the stock headers and along the line of the stock system which seem to be taken care of with most, if not all, of the after market systems. If you're going to take out the flapper and your guy is talented enough, why not just craft the headers as well?

Maybe buy a full exhaust system or even the headers to get measurements for fabricating your own then return it? Seems a bit unethical, but why recreate the wheel?

PS - Chuck, If you got her to do all the wrench work as well, you're a very lucky man :drummer:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just being cheap I guess, for the sake of a couple hundred bucks it'd flow almost as good as a full system without the exhaust valve restricting things.

·
Super Moderator
22,665 Posts
David, I am privileged enough to get to be the wrench...she does everything else!

That's her bike. Once, and only once, I suggested she learn to clean and adjust her chain...she's a mechanical engineer after all...she politely reminded me that was my job, unless she should give up cooking, cleaning, stacking and carrying wood, mowing......

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,665 Posts
The O2 sensor is not used in my ECU.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just weakened & bought full Arrow system, no willpower at all! Due for major service in 3000 km, I'll get PCV & autotune fitted then. Will I get much of a power increase before PCV, how about after? Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
hey psycho1616666, 2011 1090rr pulled 134 hp at the rear wheel,my mates bike ,my 1078 pulled 141.6 hp at the rear wheel,both bikes were all done on the same Dyno. Now all other dyno machines will give you different figures.this is just a guide

cheers eddy

·
Registered
867 Posts
hey psycho, all had done to mine was arrow headers as I like the twin exhaust, dynode in Baronia and it was putting out 143 rwhp of which they are renowned for having an accurate / low reading.

James

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, great results! Is that with PCV? Getting excited, can't wait to get it fitted, feel like a kid at xmas!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You'll have to let us know how the Full exhaust with the PCV and Autotune perform (I'm guessing you're using the stock ECU). The results may drive my own decision :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts