MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else see this article? Apparently a one-off commissioned by the German MV Agusta Importer, it does 0-200 kph in 8.7 seconds.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Bugger!...I thought I was about to read an announcement on my next bike.

Oh well back to work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes I read the article last night after receiving my May issue. However I'm a little confused because I once read that the reason for the 750/910 engine in the Brutale as opposed to the F-4 engine was that the F-4 engine wouldn’t fit in the Brutale frame. According to the article they used a bored-out F-4 engine. If that’s the case why wouldn’t they have simply stuffed a 998 F-4 engine in the Brutale in the first place when they went from a 750 to the 910?
With many of the naked bikes now having 1000 cc’s or more it makes me wonder if we’ll see a 998 Brutale in the near future? Personally I’m very satisfied with the 910 engine and don’t see much rational for much more hp since the lack of a fairing is actually the limiting factor when reaching triple digits.
Coming from a 04 R-1, I can honestly say I’ll take my naked Brutale over anything capable of doing 180 mph. After easily reaching 167 mph one time on the R-1 my conclusion was that it’s way to fast for any stretch of street riding unless you prefer gambling with your life! Since I’m not a track racer the Brutale is more than enough motorcycle for a street bike and I don’t have to lay down to ride it.
Be it fair to say I wouldn’t mind having a beautiful F-4 to admire in my family room!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
The block fits, it's rumored that they felt that a 1000cc brute was too much due to the ergos. There's already threads about the 910R having helium in the front tire, I can't imagine needing more lift than that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’d have to agree a 1000cc Brutale might be a little excessive but it's rare these days to have a manufacture worry about that especially since competition usually is the motive for changes. I have a feeling the new naked Duc just might have our MV friends questioning their next move.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I must admit, this is the strangest bunch or motorcyclists I have ever associated with. Too much power you say? NONSENSE! There is no such thing, as long as you have the brakes and testicular fortitude to match it!

Since when do street motorcycles have anything at all to do with "needs"? No one needs a $20,000 italian naked sport bike, but you can bet your ass that I wanted one the moment I layed eyes on it. No one needs another 15 miles an hour added to their top speed, but if it was available.......tell me what your decision would be.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Man, I was getting ready to have the 910's value plummet the way the 750's did :stopp:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not trying to be contradictory but everything has its purpose. Obviously with a track bike you would want as much as you could squeeze out of it to be Competitive . But it’s been proven many times over that a good rider on a 600 will turn faster lap times than an average rider on a 1000 any day in spite of the hp difference.
However with a street bike especially one that weighs less than 450 lbs., I’d say 140–180 hp is a suitable power to weight ratio after that it’s just bragging rights.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Some Guy said:
I must admit, this is the strangest bunch or motorcyclists I have ever associated with. Too much power you say? NONSENSE! There is no such thing, as long as you have the brakes and testicular fortitude to match it!

Since when do street motorcycles have anything at all to do with "needs"? No one needs a $20,000 italian naked sport bike, but you can bet your ass that I wanted one the moment I layed eyes on it. No one needs another 15 miles an hour added to their top speed, but if it was available.......tell me what your decision would be.
I agree with Some Guy! You can put a 1000cc motor in a Brutale and tune it more for the street! It could have equal horsepower as the 910 but the 90cc's will equate to more lumpy torque. My S4R had the same motor as my 996, but different cams or crank(I think) which makes way more low-mid torque. They feel totally different.

So more cc's won't neccesarily mean more ponies, but more torque for sure!

·
Registered
922 Posts
The brutale is a fine piece of engineering. There's something dirty about lumping it with a large motor. Very unpoetic, imo. Big engine holds no appeal for me. Much prefer a well made one.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Some Guy said:

i'm right with you on this post..... 150%

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would love the thing. It would great fun to terrorize some squid on a GSXR with the thing. None of would even know what it was. My 910R is a hoot but with 45 more horse it would be absolutely insane. I mean the suspension, frame and brakes are more than up to the job.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ll clarify my original statement because it seems a little misunderstood. I’m not saying I would be opposed if MV shoehorned an F-4 engine in our beloved Brutale. As with the engine in the article, it was tuned toward midrange punch by using modified cams from a 910 while still achieving a substantial bump in hp. If anything more midrange torque would improve everyday usable power.
My point was that personally I’m very satisfied with the POWER of the current 910 and wouldn’t go running to the nearest MV Dealership if a 08 model came out with a bigger motor. One of the many reasons I chose a Brutale was because of it’s uniqueness as opposed to feeling like I needed the latest and greatest Japanese model every two years. So far I haven’t felt a need to get caught up in the horsepower wars; so I guess my original point was that I’m satisfied with the current power of my Brutale 910.
Something else someone mentioned in this Thread was that the particular Brutale in the article used a 910 block. According to what I read it was an F-4 block with the stock 55mm stroke, and they achieved the larger cc’s by boring-out the cylinders and larger pistons. There was no mention of exchanging the 910’s 50mm stroke crank for the F-4’s 55mm stroke crankshaft and using a 910 block; they specifically said it was an F-4 engine.
There-in lays some more confusion because as I stated earlier I once read that the reason for not using the F-4 engine in the first place when MV decide to up the 750 was because the F-4 wouldn’t fit in the Brutale frame. I believe it was because the F-4 engine is slightly taller which would make sense because of the longer stroke. I assume this particular bike was modified to fit the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts