MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have Brutale 1078rr 2009y with 30.000km. Problem is in shifting - I can shift to 1st gear but then I can't find neutral. Also all another gears are hard for shifting. I have replaced a gearbox (used) and clutch disc. In my original gearbox the fork for 1-2 and 3-4 gear has been destroyed. Any idea?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,621 Posts
What is the condition of the Shift Return Spring?

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Welcome to the family @Jsvetlin !! Joined 4 years ago and just now saying hello?
As silentservice703 said, shift return spring has been a known problem area, but I wonder what kind of oil you are using?
And do you routinely shift without using the clutch? The MV 4 cylinder transmissions are generally very good and trouble free.
Damaged shift forks on these bikes generally occur from improper use or maintenance, not a design defect.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've found that shifting in and out of neutral can be challenging from a stop. Super easy as you're rolling into the stop though. And I've got a quick-shifter install coming up, so I'll keep you posted as to whether I find anything as I pull apart and put back together.

Agree with Ed though (as usual), the B4 transmission is rock solid and should largely be set and forget sans regular maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the family @Jsvetlin !! Joined 4 years ago and just now saying hello?
As silentservice703 said, shift return spring has been a known problem area, but I wonder what kind of oil you are using?
And do you routinely shift without using the clutch? The MV 4 cylinder transmissions are generally very good and trouble free.
Damaged shift forks on these bikes generally occur from improper use or maintenance, not a design defect.
Hi :)
yes i register 4 years ago when i bought brutale. but then i forgot on forum. Now i have a problem and... :)
I use Repsol 10W40 Premium Mineral oil.
most of time shift without clutch.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Hi

I have Brutale 1078rr 2009y with 30.000km. Problem is in shifting - I can shift to 1st gear but then I can't find neutral. Also all another gears are hard for shifting. I have replaced a gearbox (used) and clutch disc. In my original gearbox the fork for 1-2 and 3-4 gear has been destroyed. Any idea?
Jsvetlin;
You're resting your toe on the shift lever........don't
Same thing happens on cars, except it's high gear

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Hi :)
yes i register 4 years ago when i bought brutale. but then i forgot on forum. Now i have a problem and... :)
I use Repsol 10W40 Premium Mineral oil.
most of time shift without clutch.
Your engine calls for 10-60 full synthetic oil...that could be part of your problem.
Shifting without using the clutch on bikes without a "quickshifter" installed can damage the transmission very quickly if you aren't skilled at it. Especially down shifts. Stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your engine calls for 10-60 full synthetic oil...that could be part of your problem.
Shifting without using the clutch on bikes without a "quickshifter" installed can damage the transmission very quickly if you aren't skilled at it. Especially down shifts. Stop.
ok Thanks I try with 10W60 oil. I Shifting (2-3,3-4...gear) up without clutch for down allways use clutch...

·
Registered
986 Posts
ok Thanks I try with 10W60 oil. I Shifting (2-3,3-4...gear) up without clutch for down allways use clutch...
It is not a moto X or enduro bike......the clutch needs to be used for all gear changes, if a quick shiftier is not installed

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Oil means little to constant mesh gear boxes.......Don't believe me? Look it up in the Browning or
Boston Gear Catologs
Same wear but worse GM Muncie 4 spd ....leaning on the lever in 1&2 drag racing it's the same
fork
20200730_185013.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
It is not a moto X or enduro bike......the clutch needs to be used for all gear changes, if a quick shiftier is not installed
BULLSHIT!!!!!
Guess, according to you, I've been doing wrong for the last 50+ years
Go listen to an Oilhead BMW being shifted WITH the clutch it chunks
Then without.... it's silent

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well that escalated quickly...

·
Registered
986 Posts
BULLSHIT!!!!!
Guess, according to you, I've been doing wrong for the last 50+ years
Go listen to an Oilhead BMW being shifted WITH the clutch it chunks
Then without.... it's silent
That is interesting to know......

I have given my opinion and I do not feel that such an aggressive response is necessary. I am not accusing anyone of doing anything wrong. You speak about a BMW, but I notice that you have not committed about MV Agusta's and this bike specifically.

·
Super Moderator
22,621 Posts
Truthfully, there has been much discussion about clutchless shifting and whether it is needed or not. It seems to be a skill that is learned and @theknurl 's bike is a Brutale, so he has commented on the MV.

You've been around long enough to know Noel's responses can be a bit gruff and direct. I wouldn't take it as a personal affront.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi,

i think that i have find a problem. probably the problem is in a antihopping clutch. what do you think about that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts