MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put some miles on this weekend, it was windy and I got smacked around like turd in a punch bowl. I was amazed how un-stable and how much effort it takes to rip it up when its windy. I got an Arai hat and at 100 it wants to come off. Can't imagine what its like to race this thing. I'm not bitching, I figure thats how it got its name, just wondering what others think Any one got comments, +100 mph experiences or suggestions...riding positions, helmets? etc.

Homer

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Just sorted out the 1st service. So i'll get back to you after this weekend.... :naughty: :naughty:

currently sporting a shoei x-eleven. looking to get an arai corsair to compare. my other arai is definitely louder though.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
My daily trek to work is at speeds ~100MPH for 15 miles.

Honestly, it's still not AS BAD AS YOU WOULD THINK, coming off of a fairng'd bike. You'de initially think you'de get beat to death, and all though you do get tossed around a little, not as bad as you would think you would without fairings.

But, I'll agree with you, the difference in wind at 90MPH and 100MPH is HUGE...I dunno how, considering the wind between any other 10MPH difference isn't that big, even 80-90MPH. I can sit up at 85-90MPH...I can't sit up at 100MPH without it being bothersome.

If you guys think those are loud...wear a Suomy...it's like not wearing a lid at all. it's so loud...louder than a cheap-o helmet by far. but, it has virtually no lift, even if you look up, the helmet wants to stay on your head....

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I agree in part with oicdn, my Suomy has zero lift and is completey stable at any speed attainable on the Brutale, but I don't think the Spec-1R is nearly as noisy as the Extreme for some reason. I also was actually surprised at HOW stable the bike is at high speeds, even 2 up at 120. Maybe you had a particularly bad crosswind?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone tried a small nose fairing.I was out at the weekend also and can report exactly the same .
just wondered if there was a nice quality screen available to suit the Brute !!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Barracuda windscreen and Shoei X11. Last week saw 154mph at Mosport with no stability problems whatsoever. Soften the front end to near full out on compression and rebound. Solid all the way.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
First, the helmet lift... Was using an Arai but switched to a Schuberth due to the noise/lift/fatigue issues. The Schuberth is very quiet, extremely stable and allows me to ride with none of the neck/shoulder soreness that I got from the Arai. Suomys don't fit my head very well so I can't speak to their performance but the Schuberth made a world of difference in that regard.

The instability of the bike is likely due to suspension issues. If your bike was set up as poorly out of the box as mine was, you might want to do some mods. Not many people are familiar with the Marzocchis. I'm trying to gather info on mods/tips for the MV's but so far, not much at all...

MV suspension query

·
Registered
312 Posts
my brutale keeps stable @ 150 Mph ?
you should check your suspension, tire pressure, ....
of course you take alot of wind on you with a naked bike (wouldnt want it any other way) from 120mph you have to adjust your position (chin on tank) if you want to drive with some 'comfort'

·
Registered
2,291 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi
I have never had such a stable, but yet easy-turned bike. Its like a train in highspeed, wind or whatever, and yet it feels like a 250 cc when throwing it down in turns. :naughty:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with Mike...I go 6 foot and 235 lbs (not fat but top heavy...weight lifter!). I know how to hunch down and go fast (raced super bikes and GP250s). Typical to Italian design (which I love!) my size is outside the bell curve. I fit on the Ducati super bike, but not so good on this one. I do very much enjoy sprinting around but when I'm out on the open road, and twisting the throttle open the bike gets light (like a 250) and dances around, condition gets nutz when you add wind. I would think my weight would help via pushing the bike to the pavement, but thats not the case. Bike setup is good, cornering breaking is just where I like it. I'm going to guess some lift is created by the head lamp and that this condition is increased by helmet design and then increased again by my profile (arms bent & tucked leaning down & forward).

thanks again for the comments

Homer

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've had my Brute up up stupid speeds and yes you get buffeted a bit.

Not made for that!

Complaining about windblast on a naked bike is like saying a race replica bike is uncomfortable in a traffic jam!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wind....

I have a Schuberth S1 that I really like.... a lot. Very stable and quiet. Once you use the internal sun visor you'll wonder how you lived without it....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts