MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been into an accident that caused the cover screw to fly away with a part of its thread (picture).

What are my options here?

Thanks ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1466279486.433786.jpg

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Nasty! You could build the area up with metal epoxy (JB Weld) and drill and tap the hole. New cover, obviously.

JB Weld can be worked like metal.

Alternatively, a really good welder may be able to build the area up with aluminum and you could then machine it back to suitable condition.

It's that or new cases!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nasty! You could build the area up with metal epoxy (JB Weld) and drill and tap the hole. New cover, obviously.

JB Weld can be worked like metal.

Alternatively, a really good welder may be able to build the area up with aluminum and you could then machine it back to suitable condition.

It's that or new cases!

Great thanks. Was wondering if a welder would be a much better solution given the risk that it could be messed up.

If I use JB and it turn out to not be reliable, would it be easy to remove and do the thing with a welder?

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
I have patched a few engine cases with JB weld in the past with good results. If you are careful, and use a dremel tool to clean up and reshape the exterior, the results can be cosmetically acceptable too.
Don't hurry yourself, and make sure to have completely clean, degreased surfaces.
Since there is no oil pressure in that area it should be a safe repair as well. Just need the bolt hole and flat sealing surface for the new cover.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonderful guys! Will have a go with the JB then.

Will updated the progress and results here after a can move my shoulder... Lol

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

allanl;

You need to repair the threads too.......

Try coating a bolt with Pam and test to see if JB Weld Kwik sticks to it

Then clamp the Pam coated bolt in place and use the JB Weld Kwik......

You can shape the epoxy with polyethylene sheet before it hardens

:popcorn:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
allanl;

You need to repair the threads too.......

Try coating a bolt with Pam and test to see if JB Weld Kwik sticks to it

Then clamp the Pam coated bolt in place and use the JB Weld Kwik......

You can shape the epoxy with polyethylene sheet before it hardens

Great insight. Will try this

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys, so here is a pic of the place with the surrounding paint removed and the test with the JB on a oiled bolt (didn't find Pam in here).

Will let you know tomorrow if I can unscrew the bolt.

The good news is that the thread that is left is good enough to screw and secure a bolt. So I am kind of tempted to use it anyway and if I am not able to unscrew after the JB is hard, just drill it and put a helicoil. What do you think?

Another thing is that I noted a kind of liquid gasket on the cover. And a freaking difference (dent) on the engine side where the bottom part joins with the upper.

Bike used to drip oil from there when new and stopped after I re torqued bolts to spec. Pretty sure this cover never came of before.

So the question is do I need a liquid gasket in there or should be fine just with the oring (new one)?

Thanks ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467075563.241158.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467075586.077760.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the liquid form in applications like this, I prefer putties like these - http://uk.farnell.com/devcon/de600/devcon-magic-bond-114gr/dp/1711548 - http://uk.farnell.com/devcon/de600/devcon-magic-bond-114gr/dp/1711548#ProductSubstitutes

Make no mistake, I know JB Weld is a great product, I just find that sometimes putties are easier to work with in some applications. .
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=jb+weld&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBAU551AU552&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi67eSR9snNAhWCkpQKHVH2DTQQsAQINA&biw=1536&bih=713
Loctite also makes some good stuff
https://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBAU551AU552&q=loctite+metal+putties&tbm=isch&gws_rd=ssl

It's just a Form-A-Gasket of suitable kind that's used on the cover, the two engine halves don't always offer a good joining surface.

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Good old RTV.....or Yamabond, or Hondabond, or Suzuki1205B

oil/grease on threads may work.....the non-stick cooking spray (Pam) is just easier and makes a very fine film, so the threads form evenly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies!

Donsy, I understand you on this. Here we have this thing called Durepoxi from Loctite. But I was worried on the reliability of it and JB looks better for this.

Anyway here is an update. I was able to unscrew the bolt from the JB on the test and a good thread was there (1st pic), so went on with it.

Cleaned the surface with dry clean solution, then detergent and sponge, then water on sponge, let it dry and then alcohol on a paper towel. Let it dry and apply. Pics bellow.

Hopefully more updates tomorrow. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467168636.242206.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467168656.325420.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467168676.511473.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467168689.988845.jpg

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
JB Weld can be worked with files or a Dremel tool to get the repair looking near original.

Looks like you have a good handle on it.

JB Weld also makes a putty version...actually, they have a large variety of repair materials.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JB Weld can be worked with files or a Dremel tool to get the repair looking near original.

Looks like you have a good handle on it.

JB Weld also makes a putty version...actually, they have a large variety of repair materials.

Great! I do plan to dremel it and then paint. Will see tomorrow how that will be.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. Was able to easily unscrew the bolt and the thread was good. Also started shaping it with the dremel, but there are some places that I will have to put more weld (just for the look).

Will send more pics as it progresses. Planing to have it shaped, painted and mounted in the weekend.

Thanks for the help so far ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467285834.440999.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467285850.958392.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1467285874.393157.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad news. Finished all the shaping and painting, it was looking good, but when I got the new cover in place and torqued the bolt, it all came of...

So my thinking now is either:

a) try it again

b) since I still have a thread that I can screw in a bolt, tap the beginning of it and place an helicoil, then do it again. The helicoil might be good to not place pressure on the bond when I torque the bolt and provide another place for the JB to hold

c) complete everything with JB and then tap another thread

d) take to a welder

What do you think?

Thanks again for the support so far!

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

Use a better release agent than oil.....

Pam or a dry Teflon spray like Remington's Rem Lube

Wax will work too.....heat it after applying to give an even coat

1 - 20 of 32 Posts