MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Easter Broadford Bike Bonanza is on Saturday and Sunday over Easter. It is for pre 1985 motorbikes and an event designed for to get the older bikes out of the shed and road or dirt. the event covers many bike disciplines including trials, speedway, motocross, bitumen across both race and road.

It is the fourth year of the event and , as usual, I attend the road circuit with camera photographing mostly the Italian bikes. As long as you have a pre 1985 bike then you can do laps of the Broadford circuit on your bike irrespective whether you are an ex racer or just a pleb enjoying their first time on the track. If you are in Melbourne, or for that matter reside in Sydney or Adelaide then it is a good weekend away. One rider brought his green frame Ducati from Perth (about 4,000 km each way) to the event and was doing laps at a reasonable pace on the bike.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy the pics.

A very neglected 125 GTLS. Rusty dry chain and original, cracked tyres but the owner said" I only ride it a short distance so it should be fine". Ahhh. What a waste.
DSC_3935 a neglected 125 GTLS MV, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

350 B that was for sale @ $22,000 AUD. It needed some cosmetic work.
DSC_3937 350B MV Agusta, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

This Ipotesi had some cosmetic work done make it look like one of the race bikes. The owner also had a Magni MV on display.
DSC_3940 Ipotesi MV Agusta, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013.jpg DSC_3943 Ipotesi MV Agusta, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013.jpg DSC_4039 Ipotesi MV Agusta, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

JSM's display with his Bold build MV and a new, just arrived in the country F4RR
DSC_3941 F4RR & Bold build MV Agusta, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013.jpg

Peter arriving on his F4
DSC_3956 Peter arriving on his F4, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alan Cathcart doing some laps on JSM's Bold build MV. I think Alan was a bit tentative as he had crashed a Velocette in the morning although the tyres were very suspect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the other Italians that were at the event.

Like many classic bike events there are many who camp as in the 'rally days' of years gone by even arriving by bike with swag on the back.

Laverdas
DSC_3948 Laverda 1000, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_3955 RGS 1000 Laverda, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_3971 Laverdas, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_4038 Laverda, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

some Ducatis
DSC_3964 'touring' bevel, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_3969 750 GT Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Great photos as usual Russ, looks like a good event

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally some of the Italian bikes that were circulating on the road circuit. You would have to say that the riders were having a ball irrespective of their experience level with many having their first experience on a track.

This scooter rider was rounding up most of the bikes in the corners although he was passed on the straights'
DSC_3973c scooter, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

the green frame Ducati
DSC_4056 750 SS Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

a 750 GT Ducati
DSC_4089 750 GT Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_4091 750 GT Ducati_edited-1.jpg
DSC_4093 750 GT Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

900 SS Ducati
DSC_3986c 900 SS Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_4046 900 SS Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

the 'special' bevel Ducati
DSC_4048c bitsa bevel Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg
DSC_4044 bitsa bevel Ducati, Broadford Bike Bonanza March 2013_edited-1.jpg

Attachments

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Thanks Russ

Stunning pics (as usual) Russ - normal service maintained :)

Missing an event (as I had to this weekend) which you are at is always a little less painful as I can enjoy it vicariously through your photos. :cool:

Cheers mate, thanks for taking the time to post them. :yo:

Ps. Did you get the guy's number with the GTLS? - If he keeps going at that rate (neglect + disintegrating tyres) it will be only a matter of time before that thing is parted out (sadly).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Russ.

Wonderful eclectic mix as always seems to be the case at this meet.

Am i mistaken or do you need to stiffen up the front suspension on your racer?

That GTLS is fantastic. Quite a few went to OZ so it's no surprise to see it but boy would i like to get my hands on it!

Big thanks as always for posting.

Dorian.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi Dorian

There is a huge mix of road/race bikes with this year being the Velocette year with a heap of these bikes on display. There was also the Kevin Magee/Bob Brown TT which was flown out from a Barcelona museum for the event although it wasn't running on Saturday due to an oil leak. A 20 minute fix with the special spanner. The Hailwood/Scaysbrook Golden Breed 750 SS Ducati also made an appearance. this was the bike that Mike returned to racing on. Last year saw the Britten of Kevin Grant out. I am lucky in that I have seen two Brittens up close and been fortunate enough to see one on the track. Phil Aynsley is visiting New Zealand in a few days to photograph Kevin's Britten.

The intent of the meet is to get the classic bikes, be they road or race, out of the shed where they have been hiding. The result is that quite a few race bikes of note ( Australian history wise) attend. there are also quite a few bikes from collections which make an appearance such as the Magni MV (I know of 2 in Melbourne), a 500 cc Paton, some Aermacchis. The bonus is that the average Joe can take his/her bike for a spin around the race track without going through all the rigmarole and expense needed for a track day. This means that quite a few seldom seen bikes make a weekend of it and quite a few people bring their classic up for the day. My problem is I only pay attention to the Italian bikes although I did notice some Moto Martin race bikes (at least one is used regularly), some MacIntosh bikes (MacIntosh is a New Zealand builder currently known for his Manx Nortons).

The event is also unique in that there are so many varied motorbike disciplines available as Broadford is a motorcycle complex catering for all types of competition.

The GTLS was in very poor shape. The paint looked like it was a applied by a brush, the seat was torn and missing the emmevi stencil on the back, the neglect was such that the chain was rusty and the owner hadn't even put some oil on it for the trip to Broadford. I know your penchant for 'original' but the neglect of this bike would mean a mild restoration as opposed to a tidy up. The owner said it was a 150 RSS but when quized how he knew that, his answer was that was in the book that came with the bike. How can you tell the difference betwen a 150 RSS and a 125 GTLS? I know the GTLS frame has GTL*s* stamped on the steering head and have heard the 150 has RSS instead (yet to verify) but as far as I can tell both bikes are the same except for the extra 25 cc.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Oh & nice to see Peter arriving on his F4 - better fortune than at Phillip Island in January ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts