MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is becoming a serious pet peeve of mine with regards to my F3 (2012).

FFS my fairings are as brittle as a egg shell.

My tail fairing bolt tabs have snapped, same with the overlap portion under the seat. corners under the rectifier tray, corner under my air intake scoops. Will post pics a little later.

Has anyone had these issues? Keen to hear especially from owners of the later models.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Surely it is the heat and sun where you live? I bet the same bike in the UK would not have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely it is the heat and sun where you live? I bet the same bike in the UK would not have the same problem.
Negative, my bike sleeps in a climate controlled garage (tiled, insulated) and my climate is dry.

I am a fair weather weekend rider and it doesn't sit in the sun when parked during a ride. It has been brittle since new.

Also heat tends to makes things more malleable rather than brittle. If it was freezing cold I could understand. I think it is a case of the plastic used.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had some issues with the two top tabs on my Brutale 800 rear section under the seat. Also started cracking. I added a washer with some epoxy putty underneath that i could shape nicely while the putty was setting. 25k later still ok.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You are correct in my own experience with some of the way the tabs are designed and thin material... i only had issues with the ram air covers thus far, but can tell the plastic as a whole seems more brittle then my other bikes. More than likely, like many things on the F3 series of bikes, cheapest bidder and substandard parts on a pretty $ bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fastened too tight without rubber spacings?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fastened too tight without rubber spacings?
The fairings chip even where there are no fasteners. They are brittle. A lot more brittle than I remember other bikes (Triumph Daytona and Aprilia I had prior)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hmm, I have never really touched the fairings of another F3, but on my RC 2018-model, the fairings seem pretty decent and quite willing to bend even. I noticed the last part when I was fiddling around with the rear-end above the wheel for changing rear light and soloseat-spacers. Getting the fairings back the way they should be after taking them off was a real pain until I understood how they weaved into each other.

·
Read Only
116 Posts
@PTsalas hey mate sorry to hear about your issues. Sounds very annoying. Just a thought, did you buy the bike brand new or second hand?
Maybe they aren't OEM panels and paint?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@PTsalas hey mate sorry to hear about your issues. Sounds very annoying. Just a thought, did you buy the bike brand new or second hand?
Maybe they aren't OEM panels and paint?
Brand new in 2012. Was one of the first batches of F3.

-OEM fairings
-Not UV or weather related as I am a strict fair weather rider, sits in garage and chipping is an issue I noticed even when relatively new.

You have to look hard and from up close to notice in a few of the spots, not "a big deal", just annoying , especially at the bolt fastener position (It chipped elsewhere far from the fastners so that's why I say the fasteners are not the cause).

Curious about the experience of other owners, even F4 riders as I'm sure our fairings come from the same supplier.

Still very happy with my bike btw.

·
Read Only
116 Posts
@PTsalas man that sucks!
I only just bought my F4 last year, brand new as well. So far everything is going well. Paint is very high quality and fairings are flexible and no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, here are the pictures of what I am referring to. The one under my seat is the most annoying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts