MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just watching the old GP from 93 at laguna and was thinking
what if they put the following on two stroke designs:
electronic FBW throttle (to handle the two stroke kick)
Di tech engine management (to handle emissions and prevent us from having to commit to a pre-mix and would increase MPG. Hell. Works for Aprilla)

this would bring back light weight/ high power/ low and easy maintenece bikes i.e. cheap street/track bikes.

all you smart guys chime in here:yo:

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I love the oil burners!!! I have three of them, Honda CR250, Honda NS50, and Yamaha YSR50...I love the smell of burning two-stroke in the morning...Smells like...VICTORY!!!

+1 for Tree!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I can only imagine what would be if the two-strokes where given equal rules to the tractors, err, four strokes. Imagine an 800cc two-stroke with well developed traction control, a wider powerband and more torque. That would be something to see. Sadly, I don't think we'll see them back and I'm afraid the 250's will be leaving soon as well :(

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
I can only imagine what would be if the two-strokes where given equal rules to the tractors, err, four strokes. Imagine an 800cc two-stroke with well developed traction control, a wider powerband and more torque. That would be something to see. Sadly, I don't think we'll see them back and I'm afraid the 250's will be leaving soon as well :(

Yep. Sadly they will be replacing 250s with 600s in 2011. I just hope they decide to bump the 800s back up to 1000s.

:f4:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it all is time and development
if racing rules where kinder to two strokes (oh yeah, and if the EPA stayed off the tracks) we would get what we needed
i mean look at the benies the V-twin got just to stay
no love for stink wheels?? (i miss my RGV)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I love the oil burners!!! I have three of them, Honda CR250, Honda NS50, and Yamaha YSR50...I love the smell of burning two-stroke in the morning...Smells like...VICTORY!!!

+1 for Tree!

Griff
twoeleven
When i recall my mx days, the first memory is usually the smell of spent oil and race fuel at the line just before the gate drops.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do any of you guys remember the kawasaki triples, affectionately known as the widow makers for obvious reasons ??

The 750,s are still a well respected bike even in todays terms and I regularly see a 500 raced at flat track meetings pulling a sidecar and winning consistently even against 1000cc suzuki 4 stroke motor

3 pots of blue haze !!!

Breathe in !!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't think it's the demise of 2-strokes that's made much of MotoGP boring. I think it's the advances in engine management, traction control, etc. I'd like to see all that electrics stripped from the current 4-strokes. Then we'll see who can truly ride them! :)

Si

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems that a lot of people are dreaming of two-strokes. Sorry, but laws don't give much chances to the two-stroke. Especially in Europe (guess also in other parts of the world), two-strokes have almost become dinosaurs. The Cagiva Mito is limited to 15 HP and the Aprilia RS125 is only passing Euro 3 by a whisker, so not a lot of good to expect there. Unless, as Yamaha proves, they come up with very clever engine-management.

I wonder though if a two-stroke is still suited for modern crowded roads. You want driveability instead of pure power. One thought though, since most machines are much too powerful to fully exploit on the road and almost all manufacturers are organising circuit-days why not develop a circuit-bike for a small budget. I guess the two-stroke 350 as a 400cc in a lightweight Deltabox chassis should be great fun. And while we’re dreaming, give it engine-management with two power-settings, one unlimited and dirty for the circuit, one legal and clean one for the road. Would be the ideal way to have fun.

Maybe an idea for MV to bring back a 500 4cyl 2-stroke?

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think riding the two strokes is more of a statement of purity
we know there are current 600's that would easily give these bikes a run for thier money, but when you learn how to weild the little bike, it all becomes worth it on soooooo many levels

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks danstoppable U just gave me an excelent idea for a project bike Love the picture of the Yammie, I think 2stroke honda 500 (motocrosser) would do just fine !!! N.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts