MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was searching for info on this regard as I find 3 options of master brakes from brembo:18; 19; and 20; the 20 is the weaker in power terms but gives you more feeling on the braking, by other hand the 18 is the oposite, for race purpose I supose.
Has any of you aplied any brembo master cylinder on an F4 1000, without changing anything else on the braking system? Do you know if the oil reservetoir can be the original found on the bike?

thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
While you guys are on the topic of brakes, I got my F4S in yesterday and although the weather was border line rain and cloudy, I did get a chance to put some miles on it, and if I can sum what I feel about the stock brakes in one word, it would have to be - SUCKS! The fronts are too "feathery" and when you want the bike to stop, you really have to hold on to them. Compared to the Brembo's on all my Duc's, the OEM brakes on the Agusta are really horrific! I got the bike with 3K miles, and the previous owner seemed to have taken really good care of the bike, so I don't think the brakes have been abused, but I going to swap out my pads and rotors and see if that helps, otherwise any suggestion (other than swaping in Brembos?)....

·
Registered
293 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
While you guys are on the topic of brakes, I got my F4S in yesterday and although the weather was border line rain and cloudy, I did get a chance to put some miles on it, and if I can sum what I feel about the stock brakes in one word, it would have to be - SUCKS! The fronts are too "feathery" and when you want the bike to stop, you really have to hold on to them. Compared to the Brembo's on all my Duc's, the OEM brakes on the Agusta are really horrific! I got the bike with 3K miles, and the previous owner seemed to have taken really good care of the bike, so I don't think the brakes have been abused, but I going to swap out my pads and rotors and see if that helps, otherwise any suggestion (other than swaping in Brembos?)....
Try changing pads first, I used to ride Ducatis ('89 750Sport, '94 888s, '00 748s, '03 S4R) and with other pads the Nissins are as good as the Brembos, I even think that I have a bit more power with the PR19 compared to the 748s with the same master cylinder.
Have a good ride!

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's all preference really...
The Nissins on the MV are more linear, where other (japanese especially) bikes have a strong initial bite, and are then linear from there. I prefer the brakes on the MV. Think of it this way: Both styles are strong enough. If you grab a fistful of brakes on the stock MV, I *promise* it will lock the front tire and send you end over end...so they are obviously *strong* enough. I prefer them because I find them more predictable. I'd rather have 100% braking in a 100% pull instead of 100% in a 25% pull.

-c

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I didn't like the Nissins either at first but have gotten used to them and must admit I'm very happy with them now. Try sintered pads and see how you go...give it some time and you might find yourself very happy with them.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
cryptyk said:
It's all preference really...
The Nissins on the MV are more linear, where other (japanese especially) bikes have a strong initial bite, and are then linear from there. I prefer the brakes on the MV. Think of it this way: Both styles are strong enough. If you grab a fistful of brakes on the stock MV, I *promise* it will lock the front tire and send you end over end...so they are obviously *strong* enough. I prefer them because I find them more predictable. I'd rather have 100% braking in a 100% pull instead of 100% in a 25% pull.

-c
I tend to agree with you there, I don't like a hard initial bite or overly powerfull brakes, but recently I have been thinking that I'm squeezing the front brake that hard to stop it, that if the bike did let go or slide maybe I would'nt have the finesse to let it off quick enough? perhaps its easier to control with less input on the lever?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I totally agree... Having owned an F4S now for just a few days, my biggest gripe about the bike is the brakes. I've noticed when I want the bike to stop on a dime, I really have to hang on the brakes. That's not the case with the Brembo's on my triple nine. That thing stops on a dime with just half the effort. I might just take the Brembo route, and not waste my time with the Nis's...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
I totally agree... Having owned an F4S now for just a few days, my biggest gripe about the bike is the brakes. I've noticed when I want the bike to stop on a dime, I really have to hang on the brakes. That's not the case with the Brembo's on my triple nine. That thing stops on a dime with just half the effort. I might just take the Brembo route, and not waste my time with the Nis's...
Try asking this on the Yahoo board, I know there are a few people there that have fitted Brembo radial master cylinders, with I think very good results,I'm sure most of the "problem" is the master cylinder design, James C may also remember more details than me, he normally does!! hehe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really think that this is all about master cylinder. The 3 pistons calipers are enought.
For the ones that have recently received their bikes try to extend the brake lever the farest from the "handlebar" you can. You will notice a big diference on the braking bit sensation!

I just dont know if we can put a brembo master cylinder because of the oil depo that must be diferent and I dont know if we have spare room there to make this change.

If anyone has done this already please put feedback and pictures if possible.

And the imput on the brembo model also: 19 or 20?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts