MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Sounds about right to me; I love the progressive feel of the nissans, and the strong bite near the end of the travel when you need it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have to say that I was initially disappointed with Nissin brakes after coming from the Brembos on my Monster. But the Nissans are breaking in real nice and feel fantastic now. Very progressive linear feel. I don't know that they are necessarily better than the radials. To ne honest, I do not know what the advantages are of radial brakes. Anyone want to chime in here?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Radials offer an increase in stiffness due to the direction of the mount in line with the torsion of the rotor, however how this feels often depends on the master cylinder, and of course quality of the caliper and pads/rotor/lines. Radials are overhyped IMO, and all things being equal, I prefer the more progressive feel of the 6-pistons nissans to any radials I have ridden.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
pigiolino said:
The only reason good for radial is:
ITALIAN MOTO - ITALIAN BRAKE!!!!
functionally is the same.
I'll certainly agree with you there :toothless

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Really with the diameter of the front forks on the MV and size of triple clamp any small vibration from conventional mountings is non existent.

In my view, radial mounted calipers maintain better alignment with the rotor therefore pads stay in alignment so there is some improved contact??

I think from memory that radial mounted calipers were a result of the move to upside down forks... that is the fork piston (the moving bit) is now fixed to the front wheel not the yolk as in convensional forks. Now stiffness of the front end is now totally dependent on the size of the front axle....larger diameter axle = greater stiffness. Just check out the MV's axle diameter!
But a consequence of this move to USD shocks was an increase in brake induced fork vibration and to get around this calipers were moved around the rotors so they are radially in line of the wheel = less lateral flex, and ditto reason for design on 'floating' discs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts