MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MV is advertising, for the R and Senna models, that they have “Brembo monoblock P4/34 callipers”. They are P4/34 (4 pistons with 34mm diameter), but they are not monoblock. The inner calliper is fixed with 3 bolts to the outer. Besides they look different (Ducati 1098 has monoblock).

What does it mean? Is it a mistake? Is MV advertising something that comes in the future? Is another interpretation of monoblock?

tvass :piss:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clearly stated

I don't think MV made a mistake in that their web site clearly states that the brakes are monblock. In addition to MV, the same statement concerning the brakes is echoed in the reviews for the F4-Senna I've seen. For example, Sport Rider. Not sure what's up here?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Has anyone come up with a definitive answer on this? Could it be that monoblock means the unit is milled/cast as once piece while not necessary that it stays one piece? Is this term that loose to interpretation?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Interesting.

The front brakes on the R/Senna is NOT a monoblock. You can clearly see the line between the two pieces that make up the caliper. As stated, the two havles are held together with 3 bolts.

Here's a link to a big photo of the brakes:
http://gallery.mvagusta.net/f4_1000r/SGA_9117?full=1

Here's a photo of a true monoblock caliper:

It's interesting to note that making the monoblock calipers requires a pretty special machine to bore the piston holes.

Alex

·
Registered
205 Posts
The references to Monoblock are in magazine articles and web pages, but in all written information by MV Agusta, the brakes are NOT referred to as Monoblock.

The Brembo Monoblock comes in two different types. The one pictured above is the expensive forged version. Apparently, Brembo has figured out how to produce a less expensive cast version. It is this last version which is used by the Ducati 1098. Even though it may be less expensive, from what they say, it is a very nice brake. Since Ducati has lowered their prices, I would guess that the machining on the cast monoblock probably isn't that expensive. But the forged monoblock calipers ran about $3000 for a pair the last time I looked.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Really?

How about this blurb from the MV USA site:
The F4-1000R lies between the F4-1000S and the limited edition F4-SENNA. In relation to the “S”, it features more specialized technical components not to mention innovations to the engine.
The main new items of equipment are:

• Brembo Monoblock P4/34 radial brake calipers
  • Aluminum Ø320 mm Brembo discs
  • Radial caliper struts
  • Marzocchi USD Ø50 mm R.A.C. forks (Road Advanced Component.)
  • Brembo forged aluminum wheels with Y spokes
  • New integrated Magneti Marelli 5SM ignition-injection system
  • New raised Perspex screen
  • Rear mudguard
  • Battery charger
http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/07_F4_1000R.html

hellcat said:
The references to Monoblock are in magazine articles and web pages, but in all written information by MV Agusta, the brakes are NOT referred to as Monoblock.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
and where does the difference between the two REALLY begin to show? after extreme endurance racing? longevity of rigidity? constant hard racing? hauling it down from 140 to a stop when pulling into the starbucks parking lot?

·
Registered
265 Posts
style_one said:
and where does the difference between the two REALLY begin to show? after extreme endurance racing? longevity of rigidity? constant hard racing? hauling it down from 140 to a stop when pulling into the starbucks parking lot?
I think the point is the word MONOBLOCK.
I was disappointed when I discovered the F4R was not a monoblock at the dealership at purchase. Its a split casting, unlike the 1098 with does have a true cast monoblock construction without plugs. I'd like to see that cutter design.
Does it matter in braking?? Probably not at our level. :)
(But I don't want to give those 1098 owners something to brag about.) :f4:

Indy

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Monoblock is a product name used by brembo it does not necessarily mean that the caliper is a one piece caliper. Do the brakes that come on the MV simply come from the "monoblock" product line? I don't know what the answer is but I am content with the performance of the braking system as it is for my usage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know for me it comes down to principle, I even asked the deal, hoping that the line i saw was just from the casting and not that the brake is actually 2 pieces and he assured me they were monoblocks...

·
Registered
238 Posts
They are not monoblock, I am very upset about this right now my new bike as well. The monoblock are 1 piece and "brembo" is in red. They cost about 1500 or so while the casted 2 piece ( "brembo" in silver) are about 300 bucks like the ones that come stock on most italian bikes. seems like it is only a matter of time until someone get legally involved and we all get to show at the dealers to get our "monoblocks" installed!......I hope.....its the principle

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
monoblock calipers are exactly what they say mono = 1 (casting then machined out)
i rode the 1098s with these and there was no give instant braking far better than my mv will ever bei expect

heres bembros write up
At the EICMA Motorcycle Exhibition Brembo introduces the new M4 monobloc caliper for Ducati 1098, with a new level of performance of braking power and control.

The monobloc concept is the same of Moto GP and SBK, but obtained from a casting using cores of advanced technology.

The calipers contains 4 pistons, diameter 34mm, and two pads of big surface permitting a containment of temperature and the use of high-performance friction material.

Together with the caliper a new disc(330mm diameter) has been developed with only 6 pins and a very low weight that gives noticeable advantages to handling.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am not an expert on brakes. Period.

BUT, I did get the opportunity to speak with Mr. Ferracci for a few minutes about them last week at his shop. I think you'll find that in the Brembo product lineup, there's a very wide range in price for calipers. And the stuff that goes on GP bikes just doesn't come on production machines because it's too damn expensive.

And at that level, and perhaps even lower down the performance totem pole, you need to look at brake performance in terms of a "system" not a set of calipers. So if you're looking at big bucks calipers, make sure you've evaluated and matched your rotors, pads, lines, master cylinders and fluid.

Want GP brakes on your bike? Not a problem. $8000 please.

P.S. This is exactly what I'm doing. It seems that so many people add engine performance bits to increase power they'll never use. And to add other components to enhance the appearance of what I believe to be the most beautiful motorcycle in the world -- stock. Personally, I use the brakes on every ride. They not only improve my riding experience, I expect they may just save my life some day.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think it is a question of if we need the brakes or even if that is what should come stock. The fact is that MV is advertising one thing and selling something else. I don't see how that would not fall under the same laws for anyone else advertising, they should have to make it right...IMHO

I just can't believe that this has not been a bigger issue already, that would be like saying a bike comes with mag wheels and instead they are casted alum. It's just not right and for 23k it doesn't sound out of the question for the bike to have them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, but that is not the point. Just because I am happy with the way they work doesn't mean that you should not get what is advertised. I mean if you took your fairings off and found out that parts that were said to be forged were casted would that be okay with you?

Monoblock is a specific type of caliper that only comes in 2 models, axillary and radial mount and both cost about 3k for a set (radial a little more). The casted 2 piece brakes that come on the agusta are about 800 bucks. This is not right and how this is not false advertising that requries MV to fix it is beyond me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The monobloc calipers appear on the MV website and has been in various magazine articles about the bike, but I've never seen any official, printed MV publications which state that the MV has monoblocs. I don't know how monobloc ever made its way onto various web sites. Maybe they were planning it at some point and then changed their minds? I think its more a matter of sloppiness than false advertising, but I am not an attorney.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
tvass said:
MV is advertising, for the R and Senna models, that they have “Brembo monoblock P4/34 callipers”. They are P4/34 (4 pistons with 34mm diameter), but they are not monoblock. The inner calliper is fixed with 3 bolts to the outer. Besides they look different (Ducati 1098 has monoblock).

What does it mean? Is it a mistake? Is MV advertising something that comes in the future? Is another interpretation of monoblock?

tvass :piss:

After many calls & e-mails to the Greek importer, the official answer is: It is an unlucky translation from the Italian language.

LOL? :eek: As monoblock has to be a pure Latin word :bash:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
guys, i have a 05 f4s, it has the bullshit 6 piston nissin calipers, i would kill right now!! to even have the silver NON-MONOBLOCK calipers!!! who cares if they are monoblock, to me there are 2 types of brakes in the world, brembo, and the rest!!! monoblock or not

1 - 20 of 101 Posts