MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today the Ago let me down for the second time in less than 2000 miles. I pulled in for fuel and when i stopped and selected neutral the bike cut out, when i re-started it the side stand light was on despite the stand being up so i kicked the stand up and down once or twice and the light went out and the bike was ok. I rode for about 50 miles to my next stop and once again when i stopped and selected neutral and once again the bike cut out and the side stand light came on again but this time no matter what i did with the side stand the light wouldn't go out on the dash, i tried removing the switch and moving it manually but no joy, in the end i was forced to remove the side fairing and trace back the wires to a plug and disconnect the switch completely which fortunately worked and got me the 100 miles home.
It seems strange that the bike cut out when i selected neutral on both occasions. The other problem is the bike appears to select neutral more times than a gear, my previous bikes (triumph and Honda's) may have selected a false neutral once or twice a year, this MV selects false neutral 4 to 5 times per ride. Could this be a problem with the chain tension or is it the gearbox and could it be linked to the side stand switch?

·
Registered
341 Posts
well today the Ago let me down for the second time in less than 2000 miles. I pulled in for fuel and when i stopped and selected neutral the bike cut out, when i re-started it the side stand light was on despite the stand being up so i kicked the stand up and down once or twice and the light went out and the bike was ok. I rode for about 50 miles to my next stop and once again when i stopped and selected neutral and once again the bike cut out and the side stand light came on again but this time no matter what i did with the side stand the light wouldn't go out on the dash, i tried removing the switch and moving it manually but no joy, in the end i was forced to remove the side fairing and trace back the wires to a plug and disconnect the switch completely which fortunately worked and got me the 100 miles home.
It seems strange that the bike cut out when i selected neutral on both occasions. The other problem is the bike appears to select neutral more times than a gear, my previous bikes (triumph and Honda's) may have selected a false neutral once or twice a year, this MV selects false neutral 4 to 5 times per ride. Could this be a problem with the chain tension or is it the gearbox and could it be linked to the side stand switch?
Mine will select a false neutral going 2 - 3rd sometimes if I don't shift positive enough. I have changed the way I shift slightly and it barely bothers me now. Be firm.

Bad luck with the side stand switch, back to the dealer with that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i dropped the bike off at the dealers today and joy of joy's i was informed they don't stock any MV spares and the factory shuts down for the whole of August so i could be with out the bike for 5 to 6 weeks because of a bloody side stand switch! Not Happy!
Less than 2 months of ownership, missing "Ago" parts, less than 2000 miles a box full of neutrals and 2 break downs. MV Agusta you need to get a grip of your shit! No wonder nobody wants to be an official UK importer!
Sorry, rant over.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
That sucks, I'd tell the dealer to take one off another bike, can they not call around to get one from another dealer, although I guess none of them stock spares?

I used to get false neutrals on my Brutale mainly between 1st and 2nd but this was because MV set the gear lever so high you'd need to be double jointed and a Yoga master to be able to lift your toe high enough to reach the top of the change action. Since lowering the lever about an inch it's a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Greeny I have been riding without the side stand switch connected for two months,it is not a show stopper,just be careful that when you ride off you do retract the side stand. Bike works fine without the switch, and what ackers says about the lever height was the same for me, just adjust it,takes minutes.
jimboF4

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greeny I have been riding without the side stand switch connected for two months,it is not a show stopper,just be careful that when you ride off you do retract the side stand. Bike works fine without the switch, and what backers says about the lever height was the same for me, just adjust it,takes minutes.
jimboF4
Thanks I'll give the lever adjustment a go. If the bike was more than a couple of months old i'd consider just removing the switch but with it being so new it needs to be right.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the laughable MV reliability has once again shown its self. The bike has become more and more difficult to start off the switch which I believe is the starter sprag on its way out? The starter also makes a horrible "clacking" noise occasionally and stops turning the engine over. If this isn't enough also the bike went into limp mode today flashing "malfunction" and the throttle became unresponsive, it then came up with "gas position error" or something to the effect which I believe is the ride by wire throttle breaking down? I've left the bike for 10 minutes and it has just fired up ok and the throttle is working again.
The bike cost £19000, has only covered 2500miles and has let me down 4 times. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. How did MV ever believe that the bike was ready for sale to the public?
It has become a joke amongst my friends as to wether the bike will ever finish a journey. Pissed off doesn't even come close to how I feel at the moment and I am seriously considering asking for my money back and buying a bike which will actually work and has better build quality so something cheap and Chinese.

PS I'm still waiting for the new side stand switch (been waiting 3 weeks now)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I think the worst thing is by the time the Ago came out most of these issues were know to MV and they had started replacing parts under warranty so why have they used the old parts in this so called flagship very expensive model?

The next thing will be your gear position sensor will fail, if it hasn't already? Then I think you'll have the whole set :(

You've bought this Special Edition expecting it to be just that when it's turned out to be just a basic new but old stock F3 800 with some wheels and a paint job!!

Feel for you, the usual ribbing I got from my mates about owning an MV and mine hasn't even gone wrong....much. Must be getting pretty hard for you to disagree with them by now? :(

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
sorry to hear this greeny. i've covered about 3000 miles now and starting it, when its hot, is becoming a problem. sometimes it will fire right up no problem, but other times i can try starting it for quite a while, and like you said, i get a really nasty clanking noise as it stops its cycle. The other day i didnt have a perfect pressure on the starter which meant it cut on and off a couple of times, sounded horrid, but it also came up with a 'Phase Sensor error - Stop Engine'. Had the engine of been running i would have stopped it but we hadnt managed to get that far. I turned the ignition off, waited a bit and tried again and it was fine. I am expecting one day to be left stranded though............

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Greeny I really feel for you, especially waiting so long for the bike and the expense of it!
I really fancy chopping in my brutale 4 cylinder for the triple but so many people with frustrating problems has really put me off, especially as my brutale has been perfect for three years so far!
I hope you get it all sorted soon!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Exy, my sprag clutch has finally left me stranded after 5 or 6 full cycles of unsuccessful engine start.
I did manage to get to work in the morning, but was left stranded in the afternoon, so had to return home without my bike and call in (next day) the dealer to come with a van to pick it up for service.
Of course, murhpy's law, it happened at beginning of august, factory going on collective leave, so I am without a bike for the whole month and still waiting.
Now, after the new sprag clutch was fitted, still Phase Sensor Error - stop engine, so the service is now trying to resolve this.
And yep, in the last week before final break down I noticed the power delivery not quite right and the service has today confirmed that bike is definitely down on power having this error issue.
Tricky thing as diagnostic computer says everything is fine, but the bike ECU clearly know something is wrong.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Got mine finally replaced. it an updated sprag clutch, definitely not the same part as the original one. So far everything is well, starts with no issues. Replacement is free of charge, it's a warranty item.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little update. I'm taking the bike back to the dealer this weekend and giving them the list of faults and missing parts and the ultimatum "it comes back to me in full working order with the parts that it should have had from the start or I'll want my money back".

Faults are - Bike won't start (spragg), throttle intermittently stops working, oil leak from left hand engine case, coolant from header tank has disappeared and I'm still waiting for the side stand switch (ordered in the middle of July).

Missing - The billet bar ends and Ago tail tidy (not supplied with the bike in June).

I get the distinct feeling i'll be with out the bike for some time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A little update. I'm taking the bike back to the dealer this weekend and giving them the list of faults and missing parts and the ultimatum "it comes back to me in full working order with the parts that it should have had from the start or I'll want my money back".

Faults are - Bike won't start (spragg), throttle intermittently stops working, oil leak from left hand engine case, coolant from header tank has disappeared and I'm still waiting for the side stand switch (ordered in the middle of July).

Missing - The billet bar ends and Ago tail tidy (not supplied with the bike in June).

Best of luck, stand firm. The more feed back MV gets the better for the future. These things should be an easy fix if you have a good mechanic and the correct parts.

·
Registered
307 Posts

Oh, all that ? That sucks man, and it's one of their flagship models. Did you get a brand new one ? (that problems with oil and coolant are very odd, i can't recall anyone having those issues, while sprag and throttle are known)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
To be honest I don't think that the dealer have been as much help for you as they should have, if any at all?
Everything you have done through them has involved a long wait right from the purchase of the bike in the first place? If I recall correctly they're not official dealers anymore, not sure how that works for you when your relying on them to make warranty claims on your behalf? Two months and counting for a side stand switch!!!

·
Old Wing Nut
22,155 Posts
Time to find an authorized dealer. If they are no longer a dealer they will have a lot of difficulty supplying you parts or doing any warranty repairs.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Time to find an authorized dealer. If they are no longer a dealer they will have a lot of difficulty supplying you parts or doing any warranty repairs.
It is a worrying situation, they and three other dealers in the same area all purport to be MV dealers on their websites, but they are part of the MotoGB group who used to be the official importer for MV bikes in the UK until they and MV fell out and MV started importing direct through the dealers over a year ago. When you go on MotoGB's website they make no mention of MV, the confusion lays with the fact MotoGB own the web address mvagusta.co.uk and apparently won't give it up? From here they list their own 4 dealers as MV dealerships. This leads people to believe there are only four dealers for MV in the UK and they are all closely located around the Manchester area, when in reality there are 10 dotted around the country. I find it hard to believe they are even allowed to do this, I wonder where they are buying their bikes from, I think they are all "new old stock" either through someone else or left over from when they were the importer, because they are selling them at last years prices and none of them have ABS which became a mandatory addition for this year.

Even more worrying is the servicing? Are they using official MV parts? Are they registering the bikes with the factory to initiate the warranty? How are they installing software upgrades if they are only released to authorised dealer/service shops?

I would be getting your bike off to a proper authorised dealer now, you may not have bought the bike from them but I am sure they will be happy to sort your issues for you through its warranty? It honestly wouldn't surprise me if MV didn't even know you were the owner of the bike?

In fact I would start investigating where you stand legally on this if it does come to returning the bike and getting your money back. On big thing in your favour I think is the fact the bike hasn't even come as spec'ed (missing bar ends and tail tidy) Are you sure the signature on the tank is genuine? They falsely led you to believe they were MV dealers, had you known they weren't would you have bought it from them? When you buy a secondhand bike, you pays your money, takes your chance, thats why they're cheaper than new, you shouldn't have to run that risk on a new bike, especially one costing you near on £20k

Oh and one last thing I would be giving them a timescale I think reasonable to carry out the repairs/source the missing parts otherwise they can keep it and give you back your money?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts