MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Thats a fair bit of damage

I won't lie, I'm devastated. I've checked pics online and it's routed 'correctly'. I feel a bit hard done by that'll I'll be the one with a bill for a new fork outer (at best) for a poor design?!?

·
Registered
640 Posts
My first question is, are you the first owner?
What is in that location that could remotely eat through the fork tube?
I dot not know anything about the B3, but I thought it was the same setup on the front end as the F3?

That type of damage looks like something slid steel was crushing between the fork and the fender or something at one point, or chaffing from a uncovered stainless line.

·
Administrator
21,071 Posts
The hose should have suffered a lot more damage if rubbing than that fork tube shows !! The hose is a softer material unless you rub through the plastic outer coating and into the inner steel braid protective housing for the plastic inner hose.

What do the hoses look like?

Reactions: jdgun

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first question is, are you the first owner?

What is in that location that could remotely eat through the fork tube?

I dot not know anything about the B3, but I thought it was the same setup on the front end as the F3?

That type of damage looks like something slid steel was crushing between the fork and the fender or something at one point, or chaffing from a uncovered stainless line.

I’m the second owner. The hoses sit exactly where the rubbing/damage is.

·
Administrator
21,071 Posts
Photo of the hoses where they were touching the fork tube?? If the hoses are fine then that damage happened from another cause and probably before you got the bike.

Perhaps another type hose was installed and then removed when it damaged (and became damaged as well) the tube.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photo of the hoses where they were touching the fork tube?? If the hoses are fine then that damage happened from another cause and probably before you got the bike.

Perhaps another type hose was installed and then removed when it damaged (and became damaged as well) the tube.

Possible. The bike had 2900 miles when I got it and full paperwork, there’s mention of removing the pillion pegs but nothing about braided lines being fitted. I’m not even sure why you’d add braided hoses but it is feasible.
Pics of the hoses.

With flash....

·
Administrator
21,071 Posts
Those hoses didn't do that damage!
The bike has braided hoses, the braid is underneath the black plastic outer cover. One of those "hoses" is actually the wiring to the front wheel speed sensor (the one with the heat protection).
There would be massive abrasion showing on those if they had damaged the fork.

Reactions: jdgun

·
Registered
640 Posts
A. The hoses were replaced after there was an issue with them that caused that damage.
B. original hoses were not tied off in the correct location which resulted in that damage.
C. There was a crash or the bike was tied down squishing the brakeline and removing the protective cover at some point (brakelines were damaged from it), thus that nice gouge.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
dremel tool marks? Whats the black, some sort of epoxy?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My guess would be that the previous owner had the lines routed incorrectly, causing the damage. The lines must have been replaced, as there does not seem to be any damage to the current set

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My guess would be that the previous owner had the lines routed incorrectly, causing the damage. The lines must have been replaced, as there does not seem to be any damage to the current set

The lines sit exactly where the damage is. It looks the same as pics I’ve seen.
Does everyone else’s lines sit against the fork leg or is there a hose clip to hold them away?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just checked my F3 (should have the same setup).
The line also sits against the fork leg, but a little lower down.
There is also signs of damage from rubbing, although significantly less than on yours.

O, and no clips to hold it away from the fork.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is also signs of damage from rubbing, although significantly less than on yours.

Thanks for taking a look. A clear protective sticker is applied on both fork legs but as can be seen the rubbing has warn through.
My guess is it’s had new lines out on.

I guess I’ll get a new outer fork tube and multiple new clear protection pads, and replace as they get worn.

·
Registered
716 Posts

I checked my Brutale (2016) original owner and the there is rubbing. The rubbing has worn throw a plastic,vinyl applied film and is wearing at the aluminum of the fork. I am going to zip tie it to prevent any further damage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts