MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m Joseph. Finally fulfilled two life long dreams about 6 weeks ago. One was to buy a motorcycle. Never had I even rode one before and I’ll be 29 on the 3rd. The other dream was to get an F4R. So turns out it’s my first bike. It’s an amazing 2007 with upgrades. And already I’ve had some hell sourcing parts unfortunately.... had the bike looked over and got the oil changed. After the oil change I was doing about 90 mph and i noticed smoke in my mirrors. Pulled over to find oil all over the back tire and exhaust. And the oil fill plug missing ☹. Some chaps helped me get it loaded into a truck but some point along the ride home a ratchet strap cracked the upper fairing ?. Along with light abrasions on the right faring. So for weeks I’ve tried to find replacements. No luck. Looks like this small problem will be costing me about $3000. Since I can’t find oem I’m having to get carbon fiber and so I want it to look right and because of that I’m looking at replacing almost everything with carbon fiber. Hope I don’t have to because I loved the way the bike looked as it was and I’m not made of money but I’m happy either way as long as it’s fixed. Only had 1500 miles when I bought it. Was pristine until the ratchet strap fiasco.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
What color combo do you have Joseph? I have black gray fairings that I don’t use anymore that I could sell you, especially if you are in Alabama, shipping wouldn’t be terrible. How are you liking that bike for a first motorcycle? Have you ever ridden anything before? I think an MSF course would probably be a good idea just to make sure you’re keeping yourself and others safe while on the road. The liter bike is a lot for a beginner, especially the F4, with it’s radial valve engine.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
There is a member here selling all of his carbon fiber body panels painted in red and silver. Not sure if that would help you.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Welcome, Joseph. I started learning how to fly in a twin engine Piper. Not the easiest to lbegin with, but not impossible. In hindsight, I'd have been better off with a simple Cessna. The F4 1000 is not very forgiving so take the turns with full attention. If the inspector was the same person who changed the oil, I'd think again before letting him/her touch your bike again. That's your life in their hands dude. Download the manuals for you bike from here and see the torque settings below. Post some pics of your bike if you can.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.Very powerful bike for your first.Take it easy.
I would claim negligence by the person that did your oil change and make them pay.Not for the fairing but all other costs.

·
Super Moderator
22,065 Posts
@JtF4R: Before you go buying a ton of CF and running headlong down that Rabbit Hole, tell us the color of your bike.

There are many here who have replacement parts for just about anything you desire...including CF.

Welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man y’all are all helpful. I feel at home. Thanks all. I’m really hoping for this to be fixed soon. Yeah it’s my first bike but it’s ok, I’ve done more dangerous things for a living and apparently I’m a natural on a bike. I drive semi trucks for a living now, so there’s a funny dichotomy. Out of everything I’ve done (avid adrenaline junky here) I get more of a rush on sportbikes. It’s truly amazing. Even going rather slow I feel great. Forget about all the problems when I’m on it. Wow

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow, HELL of an intro. welcome!
You went from zero motorcycles, to just the all time sexiest bike on the planet! congrats! post some photos (of the good side, for now...)
check eBay and this facebook mv parts group. those side fairings are out there!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/838206379606951/

I agree with above comments. oil change negligence should be held accountable.

here's my additional opinion... you now have one of the more difficult bikes you could choose to learn on.
trust me, 11 of 10 drop/dump their first bike. Keep that beautiful MV forever. get a second cheap bike and beat the crap out of it, but ride the MV sparingly. Just baby it. After putting 5,000 miles under your belt, take that MV to the canyons & you'll truly appreciate its majesty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts