MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well I bought my new F3 800 ABS on August 16th
Everything was great for the first 2 days of hard riding. I say hard because I needed to put the 600 miles on it before I left for Afghanistan 29 days later. When I reached 525 miles I began to have starting issues. It became worse each day. Finally on the 4th day I broke 600 miles and called the dealer to,set up my 600 mile oil change and checkup. I told them about the starting issue. Once I arrive they performed the service and told me the bike was fine. Well I got home (2 hours away FYI) and the bike wouldn't start again. Next day I trailered the bike to the dealer is time the dealer was able to see the problem since the bike was sitting cold. They determined it was the battery. So they replaced it with a bigger and stronger battery. Well I went home and what do you know bike still was having problems starting. Called dealer and they said it's the sprague gear. Agusta Italy confirmed that that was the issue. So I only got to ride my bike for 3 days and it has sat ever since and will continue to sit until I return back to the states in January and them have the sprague gear replaced.
I must say after spending close $20,895 on this bike I am highly disappointed considering Agusta holds themselves as being the Ferrari of sport bikes. I suppose this is what happens when you buy exotic motors. I was almost ready to get rid of the bike and go to a Ducati after this, but Agusta has been my dream bike and I really loved how the 800 handles. So I feel I will,give Agusta another chance when I return stateside in January and have the gear replaced.
Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. And please feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not to try and justify the sprag issue being acceptable but it is a very very very very well known issue. It doesn't surprise me in the least that it happened. It is annoying that your dealer is 2 hours away but 1: you aren't (or shouldn't be) paying for anything but getting the bike down there 2: switching to ducati isn't going to help much (que all the ducati guys who were denied/stuck waiting on replacement tanks for their plastic expanded old tank). Personally I bought my bike knowing full well that my sprag clutch was a time bomb from the second I left the dealer. I guess I'm a little confused as to if you're angry that the bike broke or with mv's service. I would start with calls and forum chat before you run your bike two hours down to the dealer. I wouldn't get too worked up about MV. So far my bike has been fantastic with only the sprag clutch breaking, which I knew would happen when I bought the bike, and MV has been very quick in their responses. Make sure to check your pillion seat for discoloration and check your tank for bubbles. If their are any bubbles make the dealer document it and get you a new tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi - I agree with the poster above. MV Agusta is a tiny company, so if an issue occurs on a run of bikes, there's not really an avenue to pull them all back and replace the part on spec (as it's not 100% guaranteed to fail) It's fixed now though and the bike is still stunning.

For what it's worth, it's not just small manufacturers that have issues. My last bike was a BMW S1000RR and I had big enough issues with it to make me swear never to have another BMW. Including a failure that could easily have killed me.

I bought my F3 675 expecting to have niggles and issues to sort and (touch wood) there's absolutely nothing that's gone wrong in my first year with the bike so far.

What's a bit annoying is the dealer didn't do anything about the sprag clutch when you told them the issues you were having - that's a pain. That's the dealer, not the bike though. I'm incredibly lucky to have a dealer that I trust to go the extra mile, but the problem is that it's not the norm with MV dealers (yet - they are trying to improve that)

So give that that second chance - you won't regret it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It depends on your MV Dealer, you are right!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hang on, shug. They responded with changing the battery. That is also a well known issue. Especially if he wasn't having any sort of cracking or dash notifications. When my sprag went out the thing that changed their mind immediately was that I heard a cracking sound and occasionally got a phase sensor error. I would have to disagree that the dealer did nothing. They replaced something that fit the symptoms and wasn't going to have the bike in the shop for a few days worth of labor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hang on, shug. They responded with changing the battery. That is also a well known issue. Especially if he wasn't having any sort of cracking or dash notifications. When my sprag went out the thing that changed their mind immediately was that I heard a cracking sound and occasionally got a phase sensor error. I would have to disagree that the dealer did nothing. They replaced something that fit the symptoms and wasn't going to have the bike in the shop for a few days worth of labor.
Yep - fair point, to a point. Factory battery can be a bit crap too so would be the first thing you'd likely chop.

However OP states that it was still being a pain to start when he got home - unclear if it took any time to exhibit these symptoms, so a bit inconclusive, but if it struggles every time to start, surely you'd expect the dealership to have tested before handing back and come to the conclusion they eventually came to when the customer was 2 hours down the road?

I suppose the finger pointing exercise depends if the fault is enough that the bike is a total pain to start every time and should have been picked up on a test at the dealer, or if it's intermittent and the dealer tested fine - which would just come down to bad luck.

Tricky one I agree and perhaps not as clear cut as my original post would make it to be.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This will come as no surprise to those who have followed along with my two year saga as I’m siding with Brandon on this issue. Making him drive back and forth, (four hours round trip) when everything could have and should have been taken care of in one go is total Bull Snot!
I know only too well that the Standard Operating Procedure for dealers is to only effect repairs after an owner has repeatedly complained about an issue and that said issue is replicated by the dealer. So, even though the dealer’s mechanic should have known about the problematic sprag, if it didn’t make noise, the bike started while there and the customer didn’t complain, it (the sprag) was a non issue. But that doesn’t explain why Brandon was sent home with a bad battery even though he mentioned the hard starting issue during his bike’s first service, now does it! Furthermore, MV Agusta America is really just an extension of MV Agusta Italy. So, US dealers don’t have to jump thru the hoops that dealers in other countries (like Canada for example) have to in order to get approval for work.
Remember too, Brandon has already mentioned that this dealer isn’t the most reputable, having quoted him $250 to install an Ohlin's steering damper that we all know is a 20 minute job for a trained mechanic working for an authorized MV dealer.
Yes, the factory has much to answer for with all the problems the 3 cylinder models are having. However, that does not exclude dealers from taking a proactive stance on known issues!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think what this is sounding like is a shitty policy for repairs. Obviously we all know the bikes have sprag clutches that just don't work. But if they can't replicate the bike not starting in a way that shows the sprag is gone then it would be foolish to replace it even though they know it will go bad. Why MV hasn't just decreed that all the bikes get new sprags is beyond me. Unfortunately even if they did that you would still have to go two hours to get it fixed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Its called character. lol.

Still waiting to buy another MV once they have a sorted bike to offer with a concrete dealership as I loved riding the bike but just got fed up of all the niggles.

Mates 675 has been a horror story.

MV will always be on my radar but its not looking like nothing has changed since my last experience, Shame.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The hard starting issue is very well known issue on this board. Next time you run into an issue, before even calling the dealer you should do a search on here. My dealer tried to get me to travel 45 minutes to pick up a new battery but I wouldn't budge and told them what the real issue was. After calling MV they called me back to confirm the information I had gathered from this forum and got the sprag clutch parts ordered and replaced.
Although it's still a fairly new bike but MV should do a better job at informing/educating dealers on known issues like this, it would go a long way into avoiding frustration and insuring customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Agree on the technical bulletins that need to get sent out to the dealers so they can fix the issues first time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think one of the struggles with educating dealers is just how exotic the brand is. Obviously this depends greatly on the region you live in. For example I live in LA and when my sprag broke I didnt have to explain anything before the dealer gave me a new clutch. They sell MV's all day long in this area and, while its still exotic, its not as much of a unicorn as other areas. If you live somewhere less motorcycle obsessed I could easily see dealer enthusiasm to learn and implement service knowledge being less. I think we would all agree thats not how it should be but if youre torn between spending $2000 to train someone on issues with r6's versus $2000 to train someone on MV I think we know what most would choose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You guys are still lucky compared to me. I paid 50K for the bike and these retards don't do shit when I tell them about the problems. These idiots don't speak English and I don't know how to say sprag clutch in Chinese.... I am so screwed. I am really thinking about just selling this bike and getting a Honda again...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Didnt you get yours used? Does it still have a warranty? If so just go straight to MV and do it through them. Go to twinstartrading.com and just give them the part number for the sprag.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This will come as no surprise to those who have followed along with my two year saga as I’m siding with Brandon on this issue. Making him drive back and forth, (four hours round trip) when everything could have and should have been taken care of in one go is total Bull Snot!
I know only too well that the Standard Operating Procedure for dealers is to only effect repairs after an owner has repeatedly complained about an issue and that said issue is replicated by the dealer. So, even though the dealer’s mechanic should have known about the problematic sprag, if it didn’t make noise, the bike started while there and the customer didn’t complain, it (the sprag) was a non issue. But that doesn’t explain why Brandon was sent home with a bad battery even though he mentioned the hard starting issue during his bike’s first service, now does it! Furthermore, MV Agusta America is really just an extension of MV Agusta Italy. So, US dealers don’t have to jump thru the hoops that dealers in other countries (like Canada for example) have to in order to get approval for work.
Remember too, Brandon has already mentioned that this dealer isn’t the most reputable, having quoted him $250 to install an Ohlin's steering damper that we all know is a 20 minute job for a trained mechanic working for an authorized MV dealer.
Yes, the factory has much to answer for with all the problems the 3 cylinder models are having. However, that does not exclude dealers from taking a proactive stance on known issues!
Thanks Stephen, what really had me pissed the most was I bought the bike to ride with my brothers. I work and live at the embassy in Afghanistan so not being able to ride the bike for the first weeks and them having to drive back and forth to the dealer was a pain in my arse. I am only home for 30 days every 4 months. That's why I was pissed and bummed out.
Also this dealer sells every European bike under the sun to include Ural bikes and their shop is in complete disarray with Italian bikes all mixed and intertwined on the show room floor. I can bet if an MV rep from Italy saw this they would yank there license to sell their product. The mechanics are a bunch of kids and the sells reps are self centered twats! As of right now my F3 sits on stands with a broken sprag gear in my gun room, waiting until I return home to once more drive it down to the dealer 2 hours away in a city that will most likely be questioned due to Ebola. Oh well just my luck huh

·
Registered
128 Posts
In some cases if your dealer is too far away and or you live in a country without proper dealers why the hell you buy such a special bike??????? I was riding a 1999 kawa zx6r for almost 12 years before i bought my brutale.... but the first thing i said to myself is that if something would happen with the bike i intantly give it back and buy a japan bike again.... and i knew this could happen every day for the last 2 years cause we all bought a completly from scratch new bike of a very small exclusive bike company!!! But fingers crossed 15000km and no major problem 4 me.....

In your case sell the goddamn bike and or get the dealer or mv to take it back!!!! And buy yourself a relilable japan bike!!! If i only had that little time to ride like you ive never bought an mv or aprillia or ducati!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In some cases if your dealer is too far away and or you live in a country without proper dealers why the hell you buy such a special bike??????? I was riding a 1999 kawa zx6r for almost 12 years before i bought my brutale.... but the first thing i said to myself is that if something would happen with the bike i intantly give it back and buy a japan bike again.... and i knew this could happen every day for the last 2 years cause we all bought a completly from scratch new bike of a very small exclusive bike company!!! But fingers crossed 15000km and no major problem 4 me.....

In your case sell the goddamn bike and or get the dealer or mv to take it back!!!! And buy yourself a relilable japan bike!!! If i only had that little time to ride like you ive never bought an mv or aprillia or ducati!
Well it doesn't work like that in America for motorcycles, they won't just take back the bike. Secondly selling the bike even though it's still brand new, I won't even get close to my $20k price tag. So no I am not going to sell the bike as I have to much invested in it and I have a 5 year unlimited warranty that I will use everyday of the week if need be.
MV has been my dream bike since 2006. I finally have one. Not so much mad at MV but more so the dealer for not bending over backwards even when I bent over backwards for them. Once the sprag hear is fixed in January and I take it to the track then I will have my conclusion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds terrible to say, but I'm pleased I'm not the only one having the same issues, my f3 800 goes back to dealer next week to hopefully get the sprang fixed, thankfully the dealer I brought the bike off have recognised the problem and are fixing without questions, I do have to make the 6 hour one way trip to them to get this done, but hopefully it will solve the problem.
My one question is, will dealer replace battery under warranty, I was going to do this myself, but if it's a common problem, then maybe it's also covered by warranty?

With limited dealers in Australia I knew the problem with buying an exotic bike, but is till feel it's a much better bike in quality and performance then any jap bike I have owned. And from the riding I have done, it out performs most litre bikes as well.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts