MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have AlpineStars Ridge boots, but I'd ready to spring for some "racing" boots as I'm taking a superbike school out at Willow shortly. Would you consider upgrading boots necessary? I'm not really concerned about the cost as a preventative factor.

I was thinking of going for the Sidi Vertigo (Corsas)? I figure go all the way and get the top model as it's about $100 more for the bridge of the foot adjustment. Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I've heard a lot of great things about the Sidis. I plan to be getting a pair myself soon. I compared the standard with the Corsa, and i definately think the extra $100 for the structure enhancements is definately worth it..

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have the standard sidi's...has the calf adjustment not the front foot add on....I honestly think its just marketing hype to jazz up the original, the calf adjustment really dosn't do anything unless maybe you have very small calfs, but for the average rider, they are on max setting and thats it, the air flow vents are similar....can't tell if they work as I certainly can't feel any flow.....but the rest of the boot is fantastic, typical Italian design and attention to detail.

As for how they perform in an off, can't comment as has not happened, but I know when I pull them on I feel very comfortable that if they were put to the ultimate test all would be good!!

And I guess thats what they are for!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you're not worried about cost Daytona Security Evos set the bar. But that bar comes at a cost, roughly $900.

I love mine, well worth the cost IMO.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luvtolean said:
If you're not worried about cost Daytona Security Evos set the bar. But that bar comes at a cost, roughly $900.

I love mine, well worth the cost IMO.

ack, that's more than I have a comfort level for. :eek:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
One nice thing about the Sidis are that they are rebuildable, all the exterior bits like the sliders, ratchet tension devices, etc are replaceable.

I have the Sidi Vertebra race, they have served me very well... comfortable too, I have worn them for my commute... not bad for walking.

I also have a pair of the Dainese D-Axial light IN boots(2003), these are rear entry style boots with CF+kevlar internal structures (like the Daytona)and Ti toe sliders, The "IN" means it is designed to be worn on the inside of the leather suit and secured to the inside of the pant legs with Velcro. very nicely made, very good looking boots too, not nearly as comfortable to walk in but they are race boots.I think it is perhaps more protective than the Sidi Vertebra.

I think the Dainese axial race is a good alternative to Daytona. for about 1/2 the cost.

http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1&nome=AXIAL_RACE_Boots&articolo=1795086

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Mika said:
ack, that's more than I have a comfort level for. :eek:

I also have Daytona boots but not custom Securities. When I went to Helimot he said their last pair took a year to arrive!! I can't see getting standard sized off-the-rack Securities, to me the entire advantage of handmade kevlar inner is to custom mold to your foot. 1yr is just too long!

I got EVO Sports instead. Only $550.

http://www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/index.shtml

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've got a pair of Daytona's. Don't know if most of the guys will have come across them, they're German made, touring boots really but so comfortable I use them all the time :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sidi, Alpinestars, Daytona, and Dainese's top-range are all excellent choices. The most important thing is to try them on and walk around the showroom floor for abit before buying them.

Personally, I have Alpinestars SMX-plus (2), Supertech (2), and a pair of Dainese axial race IN for the past few years. They all crashed really well. :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
check the fit...

of course.

but also try to see how well you can shift with the boots. it took me a bit to get used to my a-stars smx-plus boots and shifting my r6.

one point of note is that the mv has an adjustable shift lever (of course) so you may be able to work with that to get things how you like them.

alex

·
Registered
339 Posts
Last time at the track, the stitching came loose on the heel protector of my Sidi's catching under the heel guard of the bike. It was a really scary situation because I couldn't shift gears and the boots were only about a month old. I had them repaired and will still wear them on the track for protection, but I was disappointed in the quality. I tend to prefer Alpinestars. My street boots are Alpinestars SMX and they are very comfortable. I'm getting new Alpinestars Tech 10 for off road and my next set of track boots will probably be Alpinestars.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Nevermore said:
Last time at the track, the stitching came loose on the heel protector of my Sidi's catching under the heel guard of the bike. It was a really scary situation because I couldn't shift gears and the boots were only about a month old. I had them repaired and will still wear them on the track for protection, but I was disappointed in the quality. I tend to prefer Alpinestars. My street boots are Alpinestars SMX and they are very comfortable. I'm getting new Alpinestars Tech 10 for off road and my next set of track boots will probably be Alpinestars.
Really? I am sorry that your sidi was no good, I have worn Sidi cycling shoes since mid 80s and the quality has always been top notch, never had any problems like that.

I am sure that A/star is great, no personal experience with them though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Frey-Daytona's. Nothing on the outside to catch on anything. Priced from about $250 a pair up to $850 for the "full bling adds 5 HP cuts your lap times by up to 15 minutes at the track" version. Umbrella girl not included.

But they have several levels and styles of boots. I have the Sidi's. Nice boots. The Daytona's are nicer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Frey-Daytona Security EVOs are by far the best for an all-out race boot. I have a pair of these that I use for the track.

My other boots which I also love are the Gaerne GR-S...priced very well and still completely made in Italy, unlike Alpinestars and SIDI.

Because I have a shop, I've had the luxury of owning 3 different models of Alpinestars and 3 models of SIDIs but to me the Daytonas & Gaernes are better. The best boots for you are really the boots that fit your feet the best.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well put. The best boots are the ones that fit you the best.

And have neon around the uppers. And maybe a goldfish swimming around in the heel. :) :) :)

Oops, wrong forum. I meant to post that to the stunters board... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts