MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I finally looked into the possibility of owning a BMW superbike, perhaps adding to my stable. I doubt I will get rid of my MV, nor my Ducati.

I did a little research, but the bottom line is this: Only in my opinion, BMW they are makers of some of the finest cars and motorcycles in the world doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to Superbikes. I don't know what it is, but the bikes don't have any sex appeal at all! I have no doubt they have some great engineering and are wonderful to ride, but a big part of why I love motorcycles is because I enjoy staring at them for long periods of time as well. :D What is wrong with BMW? I stare at it, I try to like it, but I just can't. Why is it this way? I try to like it and I'm sure they are doing everything to make the bike appealing, but for some reason, their Superbikes just don't do it for me "looks-wise." I don't mean to offend owners of BMW, this is only my opinion, which means I could be wrong, and that's ok with me.

For some bizarre reason, I thought... Why doesn't BMW, with all their great financial power, just buy MV and get it all over with, everybody happy :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been a huge fan of BMW automobiles for years. As a new-ish rider, I've only recently understood the appeal of their motorcycles. As usual, BMW will do things in their own way (e.g., inline 6 or boxer motors). I believe that their Superbike effort was a departure from their 'norm' and it is clear that there is a lot of Japanese influence in their S1000rr.

I think that emulating the Japanese formula allowed them to simply advance the engineering that was already done by many manufacturers over the years possibly saving time and R&D costs. Exciting? Not really to look at...I agree there's no sex appeal. But when you consider the performance that they were able to extract, and especially at a certain price-point, it starts to make sense.

The character/style that the other Beamers have seems to be replaced with a spec-sheet. Is this bad? Not from the standpoint of race-results and sales...who wasn't anticipating the arrival of the S1000rr just to see what it could do? But as Kawi's new 10r start to get some press, it appears that the new class of bikes will better what BMW has done and it will be hard (my guess) to differentiate at the performance level. I see the S1000rr as a crossover into mainstream. I hope this is not the overall direction of the company and their other bikes.

Hyper performance is great, no doubt. For myself (and I'm sure many of us MV owners) there is more than that to it and why I bought my Brutale.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have not personally ridden one. I have passed and been passed by people on the track. What I can tell is that the bike is a monster in the correct hands. The tech is there and equipment come with the bike for the price but the reliability of all the stuff working and performing at a high level will remain to be seen. Looks, yeah its kinda growing on me, but you can't compare to my other ladies, but it was built for another kind of customer, so I congratulate BMW. I have owned previous cars and currently still do, and they keep running and looking good, so if a used one ever comes up, I'm grabbing it. IF the damn economy doesn't drop, lol

·
Registered
643 Posts
Now that Kawa launched the new ZX-10, the BMW is old news. The Kawa surpases the BMW on both HP and sophistication of electronics. BMW should have stayed in their niche :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
BMW bashing is one of my pet hates so hopefully this doesn't turn into a us vs them thread. BMWs are quirky, innovative and the S1000RR shows that they certainly can perform as well. Well built, I really like them especially the boxer engined bikes.

They don't stir me in the same way as the MV's though. In fact nothing does. Nearest thing I can think of is the Ducati Streetfighter or Hypermotard, but on close examination Ducati build and materials just looks a tad shoddy even though they are put together pretty well now. BMW certainly has the best pride of ownership after MV.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys, didn't intend to start a thread to bash BMW, as you guys have correctly stated they are fine fine machines. I thought about perhaps BMW can just buy MV, that way everyone can be happy! What do you guys think of that? It's about time BMW sportbikes have a little sex appeal, and about time MV has the resources and financial backing to follow-up with a truly NEW design... it has been 13 years!! Harley owning MV gives me the creeps!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The same guy as before. You know, with out HD we wouldn't have the new Brutale or F4. Castiglioni said himself, when HD was around they had all the money they needed. Now, they need to tight their belts.

Why would BMW want MV? I could understand HD wanting to break in the European market but I see no reason for BMW to be interested. It's not like they can't make a nice design by hiring many talented designers. They just don't want to - or considering their sales, don't need to.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know, just wishful thinking I guess, and hoping MV won't disappear off the face of the earth, plus just the idea of BMW owning MV is just exciting. Kind of like Bugatti/VW and the likes...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
As Allan said, MV is back into the hands of the original owner Claudio Castiglioni. And from what they say, they are in very good financial condition as a company.

If BMW bought MV, I would sell my MV and buy a Ducati. Thats how much I hate every bike BMW has ever put their name on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends whether you prefer relative attractive, more mature women (who clean and cook) or horny twenty-something year old blondes..

Note: Actually, if you are happily married to that wonderful mature woman, you'll really appreciate the Agusta :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
BMW usually buy companies so that they can rape their technology.
Example, bought rover purely so that they could take the fab mini design, and apply the best-in-business Land Rover tech to what was the newly founded BMW SUV models, - X5, X3 etc. Ditched rover and range rover after that but kept the mini for themselves.

Example, bought Husqvarna from MV agusta so that they could access the Off-road know how and apply the tech to the new BMW off-road models. Now they've done that Husqvarna will probably be left to struggle on their own as a subsidiery.

Again with Rolls-Royce in Crewe they showed no interest in the companies past heritage. They just wanted the Roll-Royce Brand name from VW so that they could start up a fresh new enterprise.

If they bought MV it would be a disaster, but I don't think MV have anything to offer except the name, although the new triple might look nice to them if it had a BMW badge on it!!! Glad CC has the company in good hands again. I'm glad of the previous Harley ownership, they did MV proud - its a shame they couldn't hang on to it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
MV have come up with a totally new design the F3!!!!!

No manufacturer (or very seldom) goes all out to make a totally new design, when one particular model is so successful they usually just develop it (design wise!) into a better or improved version of what has already been achieved!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts