MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a cheap source of smoked lenses for the stock blinkers ($11.00 each) and need to change to orange bulbs at the same time. Is it worth going the LED bulb path which means changing the relay etc? The LED bulbs are so cheap (0.80c)
I dont want to upset the electrical system any more than its already been.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't think changing the relay is an option as it's built into the spu. Just add the correct resistors inline to the leds - that's what I did with my 910 when I went to led indicators.

·
Super Moderator
24,122 Posts
Kel, rsawkins is correct. If you simply maintain the load correct by adding heat sink resistors of the correct ohms, you will be fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I have some more info on what you guys did please

·
Super Moderator
24,122 Posts
You have to calculate the current load on your blinker system...your relay is sized for that.
Power = Current squared times resistance.
Power = voltage times current
voltage times current = current squared times resistance
voltage = current times resistance

If you have two 10 watt bulbs you are replacing in a twelve volt system; 20w/12v=1.666a
12/1.666=7.2ohms
So, get two 5 ohms heat sink resisters, put one in parallel with each led and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
The problem that I found when changing to orange bulbs when doing something similar to a Honda CBR 600 last year was that the two locating 'pins' on the orange bulbs were 'offset'...., whereas the original clear bulbs locating 'pins' and the corresponding slots in the bulb holder in the blinkers were directly opposite each other.

This made fitting the orange bulbs into the OEM blinkers impossible.

The only solution for me was to 'paint' the OEM clear bulbs with a 'clear orange lacquer' available from a model shop.
This paint is made by Tamiya and also by Humbrol.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2516...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
Hope this helps
Brian.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gee nothings easy eh! I've just spent an hour trying to source orange coloured conventional bulbs at even that is proving difficult!

·
Super Moderator
24,122 Posts
Try a Classic Car auto supply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts