MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1402180079.274456.jpg

Step 2. The damn rubber nuts on holding in these fasteners are just spinning around and around!!! Incredibly awkward location, and cannot get anything on them to stop 'em spinning.

Any shop gurus out there with tips?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Resist hitting it repeatedly with a hammer.

Then find some super skinny needle nose or locking pliers, and see if you can't get a grip on the well nut, don't go nuts, just take your time and you will get it.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Yeah they've obviously been over tightened, so either Ian's way, or get the pliers in between the screw head and the bodywork, then lift up on the pliers as you keep unscrewing.

Take care to not over tighten well-nuts when installing the new one's.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. The throttle side was brutally tight.

It's all apart now, I ended up removing the windscreen from the front fairing in order to reach the back of the nut with my needle nose pliers. I held a tight grip and my missus worked the wrench.

Thanks for the voices of experience! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
How tight DO you tighten well-nuts? I'm from a background of "tighten till it stops" and actually had to modify my bar ends after pulling the nuts through the rubbers :naughty:

Anyways, I don't want panels falling off, but tightening these things and watching them expand, but not resist much more is frustrating. At what point can you stop and feel safe that what they're holding isn't going to fly away?

·
Super Moderator
24,103 Posts
Well-nuts work by having a brass ferrule draw a rubber sleeve toward a fixed point. This allows the rubber between the ferrule and the fixed point to expand and become a larger diameter than the hole through which the well-nut is inserted.

Over tightening a well-nut will crack the rubber and make it pone to failure as well as make the stiction difficult to overcome when removing the fastener.

To see how one works, pull a well-nit form its location, hold it in four fingers, insert the fastener screw or bolt and turn it until maximum expansion is reached. You will see that torque is NOT your friend with well-nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts