MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I predicted that the new Honda CBR1000RR-R would come out of the box a strong contender for the 2020 WSBK title. Why?... 1 Honda NEEDS a WOW flagship bike they havnt had one in over a decade.2 Hondas RCV213V is a crap handling bike that wins only because of its GOAT rider Marc Marquez and the public know it so instead of being good advertizing its turned into a bit of an embarrisment to Honda . This makes the 2020 WSBK season EXTREMELY important to Honda . Honda has spent more money on engineering /testing ect on the CBR1000RRR than any WSBK effort in history. Hired a rider that is on par with the Great Johnathan Rea and Dorna hasnt even thought about penalizing Honda the way they did to Ducati and Kawasaki . The CBR1000RRR tech is not ground breaking just tried and true known quality tech . ALSO Honda has a base to go off of from the last generation CBR1000RR.

So this CBR1000RRR is an UPGRADED model. No surprises right? WRONG! what do i read in GPONE about the poor showing at Philip island? THE PROBLEM WITH THE NEW CBR1000RRR IS AN INHERENT >>>>CHASSIS DESIGN PROBLEM<<<<<<? The ONE aspect that was a FORGONE CONCLUTION about the new CBR1000RRR was that it was going to be a GOOD handling bike. The prior generation CBR1000RR was a good handling bike. Did Honda go BACKWARD yet again like they did this year with the RCV213V? At least with the RCV213V its a Bad to worse situation. But Good to Bad? NEVER saw this commiing=Blindsided?? Whats going on at Honda? Did they forget how to design a chassis? Its ALOT easier to make more power than fix an inherantly bad chassis? THIS COULD BE A LONG YEAR FOR BAUTISTA!

This is TOTAL conjecture but did HONDA/HRC have there F1 division do double duty and have them design the MotoGP/WSBK chassis to save money ?

Why i say this is in years past when F1 engineering companies developed a MotoGP bike , they had Great Power. But where lacking in handling.
I am just grasping at straws.. HopefullyWSBK rules allow for enough changes to the original chassis to correct problem..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As far as i understand it, the rules allow for strengthening, like the mods to the F4 RC required to make it handle. If you want to do anything more surely a new holomogation would be required.

I'd have to back to the rule book to check.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Just checked the regs, i was correct a new holomogation will be required if its anything serious to the frame and it to do that you have to notify at least 30 days ahead of the 1st use in a race, and importantly it has to be accompanied by the technical bulletin. "The application for homologation of these parts will require a copy of the accompanying “Technical Bulletin/Part Update” issued by the Manufacturer to their official dealership network in every country or region where the homologated model is available to the public."

As WSB wanted to get away from hologogation specials, although there is still an element of this.

To trigger homologation due to frame changes one of the following would need to be changed.
"Frame: main dimensions [in relation to wheelbase, caster, steering head angle, relative location of the swing-arm, relative location of rear shock absorber(s) and linkages] weight, construction method and technology"

Clearly, the rules allow for swing arm pivot etc to be moved within +/-5mm of the original position if the holomogated version doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Dan, I thought it was teams could add to chassis but not take away from chassis. It was just a shock that handling wasnt sorted out from the start of the project

1 - 4 of 4 Posts