MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have read all the stalling posts here but this doesn't seem to fit any of them.
Got a small session in the twisties this morning on the 2005 910 Brutale. All going OK.
Stopped for 20 minutes to grab a coffee then off again.
When pulling out in 1st with no throttle the bike stalled. I thought it was rider error so restarted and pushed on.
10 minutes further down the road stopped at some lights, it again stalled. In neutral @70°C and no warning it just cut out again. Restart and off we go again.
Stopped for fuel and then it didn't want to start first hit. Three hits of the button and away we go again. This time both the oil light came on as well as the battery light. They went out and off we go again.
Got home, topped up the oil (it was at the low marker on the sight glass)

Bizarre eh! This has never happened before.
Make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Kel;

what color is the back of your SPU?

if it's blue that's the most likely problem....otherwise vacuum leaks

:drummer:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Get some Iridium plugs into her. The oil level won't let her stall, only thing the light does is indicate loss of oil pressure, by then your motor would be on its way out.
Not sure what fuel your using, try to stick with 95 and avoid Ethenol fuel.
A few things can cause the stalling, look at basics before talking things like fuel lines and TPS resetting, but keep them in mind for sure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update.
Just went to move it into the garage.
Start, idle, first gear, 20 meters, stop, stall.
Oil and Batt lights lit.
Hit starter button (twice) run and lights go out.
Any ideas cos I'm getting a little disappointed..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get some Iridium plugs into her. The oil level won't let her stall, only thing the light does is indicate loss of oil pressure, by then your motor would be on its way out.
Not sure what fuel your using, try to stick with 95 and avoid Ethenol fuel.
A few things can cause the stalling, look at basics before talking things like fuel lines and TPS resetting, but keep them in mind for sure.
New tank of Caltex 98 today mate.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
in Australia use 95 oct tops

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Normal checks first Kel,fuses ,then check for bubbles in the fuel tank,use a torch.You have already ruled out the spu.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
yes,but just get the normal ones. they are only about 4.00 each compared to 18.00 each for the iridium,I find on my bike they make stuff all difference. others will have there own views.

inside your tank the fuel lines can break off ,perish, etc. start the motor ,look inside with a torch and if you see bubbles or hard swirling of fuel,you might have fuel line issues.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
who knows what causes the issues with these bikes,you might as well start with the easy and cheap options first ,process of elimination buddy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. Started by pulling a couple of the plugs.
What a pain in the @ss job!!
Ground down an old plug socket to get in and then needed a wire hook and 5 hands to get it back out. Jeeeezzz...
They are the Iridium ones and don't look too bad. Giving them a clean and regap tomorrow.
Will check for the bubbles thing next.
Just funny how this all came out of nowhere eh!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Kel, the bike should have come with a plug spanner. If you don't have it in the tool kit I probably have a spare you can have, makes it much easier to get those plugs in and out :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kel, the bike should have come with a plug spanner. If you don't have it in the tool kit I probably have a spare you can have, makes it much easier to get those plugs in and out :)
That would be most welcome mate. I battled thru removal of two and that took about an hour.
May come up next weekend to the RWC if that's cool?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Kel..., remove., inspect and clean both the 'kill switch' and ''kickstand switch'
By way of process of elimination., and costs nothing.

My 'issue' was a mapping one ..., but it 'appeared'?.,to be something else.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41723
(Page 5 will show details regarding the kill and side stand switches)

Hope you get it sorted.
Brian.
Just read thru your thread. It sounds similar as i get the dash lights when it dies. Will have a look at the kill switch and try that out. I am able to start the bike with the sidestand down so may not be that. Anyway. Thanks heaps!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OK. Made a start.
Removed the right handlebar control to check out the kill switch. Got it separated and pulled the kill switch apart (and then I broke it) so have a new one on the way.
Pulled two of four spark plugs (don't have the special tool so it took an hour) They looked OK but cleaned and gapped them anyway.
Pulled all the wiring around the side stand and gave it a clean and looked for shorts. No glaring issues there.
Have a new battery on the way to replace the Shorai Lithium (back to a standard lead one) thinking maybe its had enough of the stress and strain.
Will run fresh PCIII map (anyone got an Aussie one to share?) once we are all back together and see how we go.
Bugger this.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts