MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to get people's thoughts on the new (overpriced) Bimota line of bikes. I think the DB6 looks good. I guess the components are top notch, nice and light....but still just the Ducati 992cc engine under the hood. Are they selling any bikes? Is the company going to make it? Interested to hear what folks think :conveyer: I guess my take is much ado about nothing. With that engine, I just assume get the Paul Smart or Sportclassic 1000 at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I really like the Delirio

But it is too similar to the 910 to justify the added cost. I really like he 910 also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own 3 Bimota SB8RS specials. One is totally stock, one is highly modifies in WSB set up but still street legal, one is highly customized as a "Nuda".

I also own a Benelli Tornado TRE LE.

The Bimotas are fantastic bikes. Unlike the Benelli, MV, or Ducati bikes, they (the Bimotas) are lower production run, hand assembled exotics. The Bimotas have more CNC machined parts throughout where other Exotics use mass production methods, Bimota still hand makes many of the small and large parts that are assembled by one or 2 mechanics from start to finish. Not an assembly line production. Granted, they source the powerplant (SB8 bikes use a Suzuki 996cc V2 TLR), but the ignitions,intakes, exhausts and ECUs are developed for the Bimota application.

This limited production method is very noticable. They almost look like one off customs, or preproduction prototypes.

Bimotas come with top of the line components. But they do require you to set them up correctly to get the best from them. Out of the box the suspension is usually set up for track applications, as are the fueling. To get the most pleasure from them they do require a bit of set up time to dial them in to the rider and application (race, track,street...).

The Bimotas still have the street legal race bike look and feel.

If you set up a Bimota correctly, they are fantastic. They like to be ridden hard. The only people that general complain about them are riding them to slowly or to gently...they really need to be driven aggressively to see how they are designed to be used. They are a no compromise type of bike.

With this said. Ill tell you that I still have all my Bimotas and will most likeky grow old with them...I like them that much.

No...on a negative note. Service and parts is another story. There is not alot of support here. If you know how to wrench, or have a good mechanic that works on exotics, its not a problem. Parts are usually an order and wait type of thing...and parts for older models can be hard to find. And of course, there are very few Bimota dealers for the owner who only rides the bikes, and wants all the service done by the dealer.

:)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I think they look like ass, and something out of an origami magazine. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage, rather, I'de sell it at half price, watch it sell within 2 minutes of being on eBay and hook up the Brute, or a nice down payment on another MV...

·
Registered
796 Posts
the db5 delirio looks awesome.and i saw some nice ceals on an italian site.i think it was 14-16 000 euro s.the rest of the line..i don t care to much for.the db6 looks like a skinned horse

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I think Bimotas look fantastic. Overpriced? perhaps...compared to what? most would say MVs are overpriced. (not most on this forum, mind you).

I see them every time i go to the shop....they always have a couple/few, depending on the week. Delirio is cool. Sharp edges, I like it.

ah well, they are pricey....i might have to wait till next year for one.... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you look at older Bimotas even back just to the SB8 series bikes, you will see that they had much more curvature to the design. The angular form was introduced by the DB5 and taken to extreme with the Delirio...

Personally I like the looks of the earlier bikes (SB6/SB7/SB6R/SB8 series....the DB2 is also beautiful)....

The recent trend to extreme angularity as seen by Bimota, Aprilia, KTM and others, is not to my liking. I like a bike that has contours more expressing the curves (like those of a exotic womans curves)....

But, to each his own.

On another note; I do think that the modern MV is right at the top as far as beauty of line is concerned. I put MV right with the Benelli, Mondial and earlier Bimotas in this regard...

Granted...all things seem to slowly evolve and mutate. Motorcycle design, like automobile design changes with time...and luckily there are enough differen bikes out there that we can all find the one(s) which catch our eye...

:moped:

·
Registered
230 Posts
MVorBMW said:
Curious to get people's thoughts on the new (overpriced) Bimota line of bikes. I think the DB6 looks good. I guess the components are top notch, nice and light....but still just the Ducati 992cc engine under the hood. Are they selling any bikes? Is the company going to make it? Interested to hear what folks think :conveyer: I guess my take is much ado about nothing. With that engine, I just assume get the Paul Smart or Sportclassic 1000 at a fraction of the cost.
I am also wondering whether they are selling any bikes and if they are going to make it with there existing models. I love the DB5 and DB6, but the combination of the two factors you mention (underpowered and overpriced) are very difficult to accept. Does anyone know their business plan? How do they expect to survive? :confused:

I am still wondering why they didn't design the bike (DB5) around the suzuki gsxr1000 engine (modified) and use that bike to revive them. It would have had top notch custom components, performance and beauty (subjective of course). Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts